Post-Game Talk: 4-2 Lightning

fudgeeo

Nov 1, 2013
Eberle is actually producing points though to go with the brain farts.

Hemsky is producing a whole lot of nothing these days. They need to trade him ASAP before he reinjures himself.

I think it's been made clear that McT is trying to trade him. I don't think no other gm wants him on there team just that they don't want his contract or give up too much. personally I want him on this team just for less money next year if it's means trading him for a third or fourth rounder or ahl plug

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Passing it up the middle isn't a safe play for anybody, or the team in general, to make. Maybe its the type of play you get away with a lot in junior but its fundamentally one of the problems in our game at this level and is symbolic of how much "junk" as Eakins puts it still needs to be eliminated from our young NHL players games.

WE don't make the sound, safe breakout on that play, with Stamkos lurking on the ice, and we get scored against.

Do these players even adjust their play with the best goal scorer in the world on the ice. Apparently they don't. obviously they should.

I would be happy even if it was lesson learned. Unfortunately I know better by now this isn't the case.

We'll be seeing the same ill advised passes in vulnerable areas of ice again and again.

Exactly.

Although...there is also the concept of "game situation awareness"...which...IMO...would permit the Oilers to plan for these types of high(er) risk plays in games when they're down by a goal(s) and needing to take risk to create offence.

Even then...some teams don't stray...ever...from conservative choices with the puck and they have success. Big time.

Its hard to imagine that type of team every materializing here.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know, I feel like I see good teams making that type of breakout pass all of the time. I'll be looking for it from now on when I'm watching games.

fudgeeo

Nov 1, 2013
Except Killorn had no idea that such a stupid pass would've been attempted and adjusted for the sheer stupidity of it. That pic does not account for the fact Killorn AND Yak are both in motion towards each other, and it took about 1 second for him to be ready to take Yaks head off.

Yak is left in a VERY vulnerable position looking the wrong way, receiving the puck on his offhand. That.. is the very definition of a suicide pass.

Fumble aside, Yaks has no passing lanes outside of an ill-advised no-look drop pass in the slot or dumping it out. By the time he looked up, his instinct probably decided that he didn't want to have an 'Eric Lindros' type career.

exactly. think about what people would be saying if yak got nailed (haha) and been injured and been out for any length of time. don cherry would be talking about that pass on Saturday night

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Passing it up the middle isn't a safe play for anybody, or the team in general, to make. Maybe its the type of play you get away with a lot in junior but its fundamentally one of the problems in our game at this level and is symbolic of how much "junk" as Eakins puts it still needs to be eliminated from our young NHL players games.

WE don't make the sound, safe breakout on that play, with Stamkos lurking on the ice, and we get scored against.

Do these players even adjust their play with the best goal scorer in the world on the ice. Apparently they don't. obviously they should.

I would be happy even if it was lesson learned. Unfortunately I know better by now this isn't the case.

We'll be seeing the same ill advised passes in vulnerable areas of ice again and again.

Passing in the middle on a breakout is completely standard...I'm trying to understand why you would think otherwise.

Here's a video of children practicing virtually the same pass

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
the good:
Fedun, Larsen

the bad:
Eberle
Dubnyk

as the season goes on, I'm disliking Dubnyk more and more. what a poor goalie.

the ugly:

Oilers and their stupid toe drags. stop it already!!

You're kidding me?

Larsen sucked. Made too many poor plays, including giveaways. An occasional goal/setup doesn't change the fact he's a poor player.
I now understand why Dallas forced MacT to take his salary.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't know, I feel like I see good teams making that type of breakout pass all of the time. I'll be looking for it from now on when I'm watching games.

Well its not by accident we lead the league in GA by a country mile. If you like this stuff you'll be pleased I guess.

We'll be losing a lot of hockey games.

When people are commenting on this are they not differentiating a clever pass up the middle on broken coverage where a guy is actually open and maybe even home free vs a situation where players are in place and pressure is a given?

What reason could there be to make that pass up the middle in that situation?

I'll tell you, its blind arrogance, Players like Hall and Eberle feeling full of themselves while skating on the ice along Stamkos.

Its mindblowing that their first thoughts would be making riskly offensive plays in that situation. Because Stamkos will make you pay for that virtually every time.

Theres a probability at play here. People want ownzone passes up the middle with Stamkos on the ice?

Really?

Stamkos scores more goals on his own than all our stars combined.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Passing in the middle on a breakout is completely standard...I'm trying to understand why you would think otherwise.

So you buy this? Whats changed? Playfair mentions something that was an indelible no no as long as I can remember and now Mclean waxes on that its now an essential part of todays break outs. (BS actually)

But what does Playfair think has changed and why doesn't he think this doesn't get exploited now?

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Well its not by accident we lead the league in GA by a country mile. If you like this stuff you'll be pleased I guess.

We'll be losing a lot of hockey games.

When people are commenting on this are they not differentiating a clever pass up the middle on broken coverage where a guy is actually open and maybe even home free vs a situation where players are in place and pressure is a given?

What reason could there be to make that pass up the middle in that situation?

I'll tell you, its blind arrogance, Players like Hall and Eberle feeling full of themselves while skating on the ice along Stamkos.

Its mindblowing that their first thoughts would be making riskly offensive plays in that situation. Because Stamkos will make you pay for that virtually every time.

Theres a probability at play here. People want ownzone passes up the middle with Stamkos on the ice?

Really?

A centre breakout is not a "pass up the middle". Yak curled and came up the middle acting like the centre on that play. The forechecker challenged Hall, who made a standard pass to Yakupov. You need your players to be able to handle a simple pass or they should not be playing.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
So you buy this? Whats changed? Playfair mentions something that was an indelible no no as long as I can remember and now Mclean waxes on that its now an essential part of todays break outs. (BS actually)

But what does Playfair think has changed and why doesn't he think this doesn't get exploited now?
Have to disagree, it was a pretty standard pass and a common breakout play. I'm not saying it was the best option and Yak was pretty vulnerable to a nasty hit. But this whole Yak vs the kids thing is playing out way to long now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A centre breakout is not a "pass up the middle". Yak curled and came up the middle acting like the centre on that play. The forechecker challenged Hall, who made a standard pass to Yakupov. You need your players to be able to handle a simple pass or they should not be playing.

Tell it to Eberle. Except the main difference being a pass along the boards should be relatively safe if Eberle even shows any urgency on that play, while Yak is dealing with a situation in open ice where he gets head hunted.

Like another poster said If Yak is in the hospital after that pass its getting talked about on HNIC and with the message being don't make that pass. So I wouldn't take a whole lot of CBC analysis seriously these days one way or the other.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Have to disagree, it was a pretty standard pass and a common breakout play. I'm not saying it was the best option and Yak was pretty vulnerable to a nasty hit. But this whole Yak vs the kids thing is playing out way to long now.

A sound break out play by definition finds open ice, and results in a breakout. You look for the probability plays that will result in that breakout. We disagree that this was one of them.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Agree totally. There are really only 2 breakout options to really simplify it. Off the boards and out, or to the centreman in the middle. When one of my boys played Atom, the coach (a former Wheatie) told them, "I don't really care at this point what you guys do in the offensive zone, have fun, make some creative plays, whatever. But in our zone, this is what we are going to work on. And by the end of the season, they had it down pat and went all the way. The key was to have the centreman always showing himself as an available target, and close enough to make a short crisp high percentage pass, or to help out and support if things fell apart behind the net.

Oilmageddon

Oct 7, 2009
TB Sold the Sens on Cory Conacher for Bishop-- who on the oilers was a comparison? Gagner? do you trade Gagner and 4th for Bishop last March 1st?

It was rumored that we offered Ryan Jones for Bishop at that time...no wonder we didn't get him.

Oilmageddon

Oct 7, 2009
If the Oilers get Montoya, HF wins the internet.

It would take a massive overpayment (Yak +) to get him off the Rangers. But at this point I would be willing to do it as it would be a huge upgrade on Devan "The Big Easy to score on" Dubnyk.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
em04MgZRN.gif

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
No Yak wasn't prepared for the pass, he only had one hand on his stick and he fumbled it, if he took it cleanly, it's not an issue.

I don't think Hall was at fault after further review.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If anything the Gif adds that Hall, with any pace, and instead of being flat footed, could've skated the puck out. Or routinely dumped it out. Hall had more options on that play then he afforded Yak.

Again Stamkos is on the ice people. This isn't a routine drill practices by bantam players. Theres an elite predator on the ice. What do you do..

If Hall makes a safe play here and gets it out it isn't a GA. Simple as that.

ps It is funny how we can all look at the same play and see different things. But this being more the rule than the exception. Because we all put our own filters on what we see. But with mine being is I make a safe play if Stamkos is on ice. Thats my most salient point here.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
You are right Replacement. I can be swayed very easily.

All of Tampa's line was right at our blue line. There definitely was better options for Hall. We are not using our speed to our advantage.

I don't think Yak was expecting the pass at all.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Perron - RNH - Eberle
Joensuu - Acton/Gordon - Arcobello
Gazdic - Smyth - Yakupov/Jones

Those are the line combos.

J. Schultz skated prior. Belov taking part in practice.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You are right Replacement. I can be swayed very easily.

All of Tampa's line was right at our blue line. There definitely was better options for Hall. We are not using our speed to our advantage.

I don't think Yak was expecting the pass at all.

The most important point.

A rookie is skating up ice not expecting puck. One could fault him for that fair enough, but why does a veteran star player that should know better force that puck to middle of ice in own zone to a player not looking for, and not expecting the pass?

That part is odd when Hall had several better options and Stamkos was in vicinity.

Its the absence of thinking that goes on with these players and why we lose.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So now we're supposed to expect our players to send out requests to others if it's fine to send them a pass? What's Hall supposed to do - text Yak and ask him if he's ready for a pass? In hockey, you're supposed to be skating with your stick on or near the ice, especially so when your team has the puck. Everyone is a viable target for that pass. That mistake is all on Yak.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Absolutely nothing wrong with that pass upon further review.:nod:

If Yakupov catches the pass cleanly...and no doubt he should've...most of the open ice for him to skate into was actually skating across the ice towards his RW. That translates to "east<>west" hockey. Its very easy to create turnovers against players moving perpendicular...or "...east west..." to the forecheck because they're creating a blind spot for themselves as well as running themselves out of skating room.

I think...IF he would've ended up getting to where it looks like he would've ended up going...his next play would've been to chip the puck up the boards...or...best case scenario...he gains centre ice with some evasive effort and dumps the puck in.

There was not a fast break option there because T-Bay was all in position...on the defensive sides of the puck.

Therefore...we basically made an extra pass to create something we could've initiated from a safe spot...without ever transferring the puck from player to player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad