GDT: 4/17/16 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #3 Detroit [ECQF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Welp. Nothing to do but wait for Tuesday. Detroit played a good game.

They did. We didn't deserve to win this one. It's incredibly hard to win three game in a row in the playoffs though so this loss isn't the end of the world. We win on Tuesday and we can end it at home and then no one remembers this game. If we lose the second one though, look out.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
We got our ***** kicked tonight. You guys can say whatever you want about the refs, but 16 shots on goal isn't good enough. No excuses. I told you guys Cooper wouldn't be able to match lines tonight. I told you that if the Johnson line got shut down then we were in trouble. At the end of the day, they were more prepared, more desperate, and they just wanted it more.

Is it Cooper's fault again we lost? He mixed the lines but nothing worked. The guys took this one off, it's not the first time they've done that this season.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
We got our ***** kicked tonight. You guys can say whatever you want about the refs, but 16 shots on goal isn't good enough. No excuses. I told you guys Cooper wouldn't be able to match lines tonight. I told you that if the Johnson line got shut down then we were in trouble. At the end of the day, they were more prepared, more desperate, and they just wanted it more.

Yeah like I said earlier, they should be ashamed. That was a pathetic display of hockey. Cooper got out coached, our breakout was non existent, chopping at the puck all night, passing to guys who were covered, nesterov was horrendous, all they could muster was a long pass hoping and praying it would connect, which it didn't and would turn into icing, then turn over after turn over at the blue lines.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
They did. We didn't deserve to win this one. It's incredibly hard to win three game in a row in the playoffs though so this loss isn't the end of the world. We win on Tuesday and we can end it at home and then no one remembers this game. If we lose the second one though, look out.

I hope your right

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Our PK was amazing, especially Cally and Boyle as well as Garrison for killing of that 5on3, Bish was really great, nothing much he could do on that 2nd goal which was moved into our net by Zetterberg's skate (and I don't think it was kicked in but it was pushed in by it). He was good the rest of the game and kept us in it though all the PK's and all the time we spent in our zone.

While we can't blame the penelties for this I think it was just hard for the team to get into any real flow and get going, becuase of the PK's as an example we barley played Kuch or Drouin for long periods and the guys we did play looked pretty tired by the end of the 2nd and that's why the penelties hurt us.

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
I am never allowed to say anything. :cry: Fine, I will just rip on players. :rant: Let's hope that this sorry effort tonight wakes us up, and let's hope that the calls are a little more "even." :help:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Is it Cooper's fault again we lost? He mixed the lines but nothing worked. The guys took this one off, it's not the first time they've done that this season.

In part, yes. It was clear that Detroit was clogging the neutral zone and collapsing around the net to have 6 goalies. Nothing changed for us strategically. Kept trying the same old plays. Drouin was a big culprit of that tonight. Way too many cross cross passes when the lanes were clogged. Detroit's staff did their scouting and planning, and they did a damn fine job of it.

Now the ball is in Cooper's court. Will he make the necessary adjustments?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
In part, yes. It was clear that Detroit was clogging the neutral zone and collapsing around the net to have 6 goalies. Nothing changed for us strategically. Kept trying the same old plays. Drouin was a big culprit of that tonight. Way too many cross cross passes when the lanes were clogged. Detroit's staff did their scouting and planning, and they did a damn fine job of it.

Now the ball is in Cooper's court. Will he make the necessary adjustments?
I take that question nope cooper won't adjust just he will hope Johnson plays like a hockey God

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL

It wasn't Jon Cooper's best game personally, but Detroit really played a better game, 18v18, than Tampa Bay did. We've got a much bigger problem in Game 4 if it looks more the same at the start as tonight did, though. As it is, you really have to hope this was just boilerplate "home team down 0-2 being desperate" Game 3 stuff, because that one has definitely played out hundreds of times before.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The only positive I saw in the game was Bishop. Also Cally on that 5 on 3. Everything else was just a mess.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
No reason to freak out about this loss, but it is always concerning to get shut-out. Mrazek always has our number it seems, but still you expect better from this team. But thats the benefit of winning two at home, you can afford a bad game 3 if game 4 is good. Don't forget how bad we looked last year in game 3-4 against montreal. we just need to get back to playing payoff hockey come tuesday.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
How do you expect to win when our team can't shoot on goal ?

Game 1 and 2 should give us some ideas, but staying out of the box will help too.

The only positive I saw in the game was Bishop. Also Cally on that 5 on 3. Everything else was just a mess.

Completely forgot about that. Incredible job by the pk. Kept Detroit off the board & 0-7. They couldn't have played that 5 on 3 any better.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
It wasn't Jon Cooper's best game personally, but Detroit really played a better game, 18v18, than Tampa Bay did. We've got a much bigger problem in Game 4 if it looks more the same at the start as tonight did, though. As it is, you really have to hope this was just boilerplate "home team down 0-2 being desperate" Game 3 stuff, because that one has definitely played out hundreds of times before.

Yeah, Detroit played pretty much a perfect game. I very much doubt that they will do that four times in this series. I have faith we can win two more out of the remaining four games.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

The first goal was soft, he was off his post and didn't come out far enough to challenge. The second I have no idea what he was doing, he was all over the place and should've just stayed in his crease the whole time. He made some good saves but the goals were weak.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
The first goal was soft, he was off his post and didn't come out far enough to challenge. The second I have no idea what he was doing, he was all over the place and should've just stayed in his crease the whole time. He made some good saves but the goals were weak.

That second goal was lucky as hell if anything. I agree he should've had the first one.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Perfect example of him doing too much and too little.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Thinking about it, we were bound to have a game like this. We haven't been dominant. We didn't blow them out of the water here in Tampa. The games were a lot closer than even a 3-2 score seemed as the game could have gone to some OT. Now that Detroit was at home and they had last change and they had all the advantages, they blew us apart.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Thinking about it, we were bound to have a game like this. We haven't been dominant. We didn't blow them out of the water here in Tampa. The games were a lot closer than even a 3-2 score seemed as the game could have gone to some OT. Now that Detroit was at home and they had last change and they had all the advantages, they blew us apart.

They didn't blow us apart. They hooked and held everything in sight while getting calls left and right. They also played tighter defensively with the help of having last change and better match ups. 5v5 and 4v4 was a rarity due to the flow being broken up by countless penalties. Our best players were taken out of the game by the refs and tight checking. We sucked, royally, no doubt but Detroit wasn't miles ahead. A short side shot and a goal off two skates after Bishop spun like a top for another.

If Flip puts that shot in up close or Drouin doesn't lose it, it's a 1 goal game, in a game they had double our shots.

Simply put, we didn't show up and the refs certainly didn't help, but let's not get carried away with how Detroit played. All they had to do was show up, which is what happens to us occasionally where we don't and the other team just needs to dress 18 guys in order to win. I'll eat crow for not giving the Panthers credit, but I'm not seeing anything amazing from Detroit. We have an inept coach when it comes to match ups, no surprise, and a team that laid down. Couple those two with refs essentially benching our players, regardless if we have a PP or are killing it, we all know we get scored on easier on the PP so who cares, and you have a Detroit win at home. We played well in the first considering they came out flying. Big kill and a big period, then the **** storm continued with penalties.

Tampa shows up Tuesday, we head home 3-1. If not, it's a best of three with two at home.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Really hope Slater comes up for Nesterov next game. Nesterov has been awful for most of the year and we need to give Slater ice-time so he can become the top-4 d-man that we know he can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad