GDT: 4/17/16 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #3 Detroit [ECQF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Blame me, I had to sit this one out. :(

WTH happened there though. Our shot totals are a joke: 3 shots in the 2nd, 4 in the 3rd. That's bad. 7 PPs for Detroit or not. Easiest game for Mrazek.
They need to go back to games 1 and 2 and find ways to win against the Detroit Ref Wings, don't hope to get an equal amount of PP chances.

Final buzzer fun:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
todd knows my thoughts so he probably knows what i blame on top of the reffing jeezabub how bad can it get. I usually try to refrain from this but i stopped watching the NBA playoffs at one point because of the reffing please never allow this NHL do something about it if it comes to that point.

Now that being said did I expect this YES do I expect the refs to call a more even game next game YES

what is biggest problem dont get all ohhhhh cooper BS we didnt skate lol look at end of second start of third just watch d guys not skating pucks etc.. or forwards around our own net turning over and over and over

we have habits habitual offenders lol not sure if they ever change them habits at this point:)

yep didnt skate

we got this it ends in five

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/tampa-bay-lightning-detroit-red-wings-2016041705/ look at the blue shot break downs lol

move on fogitaboutit

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
They didn't blow us apart. They hooked and held everything in sight while getting calls left and right. They also played tighter defensively with the help of having last change and better match ups. 5v5 and 4v4 was a rarity due to the flow being broken up by countless penalties. Our best players were taken out of the game by the refs and tight checking. We sucked, royally, no doubt but Detroit wasn't miles ahead. A short side shot and a goal off two skates after Bishop spun like a top for another.

If Flip puts that shot in up close or Drouin doesn't lose it, it's a 1 goal game, in a game they had double our shots.

Simply put, we didn't show up and the refs certainly didn't help, but let's not get carried away with how Detroit played. All they had to do was show up, which is what happens to us occasionally where we don't and the other team just needs to dress 18 guys in order to win. I'll eat crow for not giving the Panthers credit, but I'm not seeing anything amazing from Detroit. We have an inept coach when it comes to match ups, no surprise, and a team that laid down. Couple those two with refs essentially benching our players, regardless if we have a PP or are killing it, we all know we get scored on easier on the PP so who cares, and you have a Detroit win at home. We played well in the first considering they came out flying. Big kill and a big period, then the **** storm continued with penalties.

Tampa shows up Tuesday, we head home 3-1. If not, it's a best of three with two at home.

We were dominated at 5 on 5. I'm not sure what you were watching but they took it to us for 60 minutes. Penalties or not, they were the better team by a much wider margin than we were the better team in Tampa. Game 4 is always the most important game of the series. I think if we win game 4 then we win in 5. If we lose game 4 then we lose in 6 or 7.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
That was a very childish, immature, hokey AHL move by Boyle. Cheapens the league with that crap. Personally I'd like to see stiff penalties thrown to players who celebrate after a fight.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That was a very childish, immature, hokey AHL move by Boyle. Cheapens the league with that crap. Personally I'd like to see stiff penalties thrown to players who celebrate after a fight.

Your opinion has been noted.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It was a taunt, not a celebration. It might have been punished in the regular season. I don't know.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
We were dominated at 5 on 5. I'm not sure what you were watching but they took it to us for 60 minutes. Penalties or not, they were the better team by a much wider margin than we were the better team in Tampa. Game 4 is always the most important game of the series. I think if we win game 4 then we win in 5. If we lose game 4 then we lose in 6 or 7.
Because we didn't show up. Again, they barely won a game where they doubled our shots and had the ice tilted in their favor. They simply had to step on the ice to win, it was one of those games for Tampa. You're right, we clearly watched separate games.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Palat has sucked this round, needs a new centermen to get him going. Nesterov always sucks, except when he tangles with the ultra soft Richards. Bishop has been shaky to say the least.

Sustr has been arguably our best defenseman, Hedman gets all the attention and ice time but Sustr has been carrying the D so far. The PK won't be able to hold up at this rate so we need to stay out of the box.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Palat has sucked this round, needs a new centermen to get him going. Nesterov always sucks, except when he tangles with the ultra soft Richards. Bishop has been shaky to say the least.

Sustr has been arguably our best defenseman, Hedman gets all the attention and ice time but Sustr has been carrying the D so far. The PK won't be able to hold up at this rate so we need to stay out of the box.
Bishop is the reason we lead 2-1. You're kidding about Sistr, I know you are. The turnovers from him don't register in your mind or what? Hedman, Coburn and Garrison have been better than him. He hasn't been terrible but he's been mediocre, or, Sustr, for the most part so far.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

Fight? But you're right, you may be on to something. Maybe they should suspend him? It did seem a bit too much, almost like it was too much emotionally for the Wings fans to handle. Funny enough, could you imagine if Boyle beat him and took him down while Double Decker had his gloves on, then imagine if he beat him while he was on the ground? I bet that would've been bad huh? Yeah, I guess the taunt was too much for Wings fans to handle. Seemed threatening you know, a chicken dance.

I guess a chicken dance calls for a suspension but beating someone's face into the ice while he's on the ground, defenseless is just that thing they call "old time hockey," right? Right.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Need more then one line to score. Tired of hearing that the 2nd line has looked dangerous. 0 goals in 3 games. It is really Drouin who has looked dangerous. Proof on the Boyle goal set up .

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Because we didn't show up. Again, they barely won a game where they doubled our shots and had the ice tilted in their favor. They simply had to step on the ice to win, it was one of those games for Tampa. You're right, we clearly watched separate games.

We're gonna need to agree to disagree here. There was nothing barely about last night.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
For next game I'd like to see them try lineup of something like:

Killorn - Johnson - Kucherov
Palat - Drouin - Callahan/JAM
Vladdy - Filppula - JAM/Callahan
Paquette - Boyle - Blunden

Now I know the 2nd line won't have a real center but if Callahan is on it then he can do the faceoffs (he's not great at them but can win a few). Either way we need to shake the middle-6 (line 2 and 3) up a bit to see if we can get them going.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Now I know the 2nd line won't have a real center but if Callahan is on it then he can do the faceoffs (he's not great at them but can win a few). Either way we need to shake the middle-6 (line 2 and 3) up a bit to see if we can get them going.

Yeah that looks pretty good. Going with 3 scoring lines and a pain in the ass 4th line.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Why not switch Namestnikov and Drouin? Vladdy and Palat were ok together earlier in the year and everyone plays their natural position.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
We're gonna need to agree to disagree here. There was nothing barely about last night.

Its a two goal game. First goal for Zetterberg in a LONG time in the playoffs and it went off both skates. Anthanasiou with a shot Ben usually gets. That's it. Doubled our shots and that was their finish. We missed a couple of typical Tampa moments to make it tied or look closer but it didn't go our way. Match ups and free for all on penalties swung it their way even further. If Tampa actually skated into a corner or forechecked, it's a different game and if we lost I'd say yeah Detroit outplayed us but they (Tampa) didn't and Detroit had a cake wall last night.

I figured they wouldn't get 3 in a row. Detroit has been awful prior to clinching and DRW fans even agree. Some are even surprised they've won a game. They are probably the weakest team in the playoffs and we let them off the hook by not even showing up. Detroit played well, they gave it all they had, but if Tampa doesn't do that "dumb it down" to the opponents level, we are up 3-0.

Edit, essentially it's a non issue imo. We went into their rink and lost a game that wasn't a statement 4-0 or a game that we competed but got dominated. We were, and they were for that matter, sloppy in the first two but we beat them. One team showed up last night, we also took a few dumb ass penalties which didn't help, while at the same time nothing was called for them. I'm not worried. If we lose game 4 while playing like last night, I'll worry a little but for now, it's one game and we will bounce back. Mrazek wasn't even tested last night. I expect game 5 on Thursday is a chance for us to advance. Even if there's a game 6, at that point it's a best of three with two at home. That is why I said before game 1, you have to win the home games.

Last edited:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
The offense is thin as paper right now. The top line has played great, but I agree the the rest has been below average apart from Drouin.

You just felt it when they dug themselves a whole that they were not going to grt out of it.

Not enough there.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Fil and Drouin had 7 of our 16 shots last game. Maybe it's time to put Callahan back on that line, somebody to "clean up the garbage" in front of the net.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The good news is Detroit doesn't score more than 2 goals a game. So we only have to find a way to score 3 and we're fine.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fil and Drouin had 7 of our 16 shots last game. Maybe it's time to put Callahan back on that line, somebody to "clean up the garbage" in front of the net.

Think he has earned at least a game up there. Playing with a lot of energy and effort but Can't get much offense skating with Paquette and killing a penalty every other shift. If Drouin was able to play center then go with Palat - Drouin - Callahan but not sure coop will trust him at C, especially during the playoffs

Hate to say it but Palat has not been good in this series. Do we throw him on the 3rd line and go with a DFC line like you said. I mean God Forbid one of the triplets plays on the 3rd line. Lol

another option go with Pallahan and flip and put Drouin with Vladdy and JAM? So 3 scoring lines and that 2nd line can also shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad