GDT: 4/16/18 - 7:30PM EDT - #1AT Tampa Bay @ #2WC New Jersey [ECQF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I can't remember players other than Marchand to have been suspended for that. They haven't taken spearing seriously and only fines have been given out. They won't change the line during the playoffs so a fine is all Hedman is getting. I do wish players would start getting suspensions for spearing though.

There's definitely been more. There was the Marchand nut spear you previously mentioned.

But Johannson got a 5 game suspension for a similar nut spear like Hedman's, just last month.

Then Tkachuk got suspended 1 game for putting the tip of the blade into the ankle, which is obviously not as bad as a nut spear, but still a spear suspension.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I said so too, then I found this angle, now I'm not sure. Sergachev has no reason to bend himself into Coleman unelss this is intentional (which is what NBC was alluding to).

The Hedman thing is less debatable though, guys have previously been suspended for doing that, and the tape on that one is pretty clearly intentional. I imagine that will be reviewed by the league.

For crying out loud that was a baby hit not even a elbow to the head it looked like sergachev was trying to bump him a little before changing shifts lol terrible call

Reactions: Master P

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Need to come out raging in game 4. Destroy. Sweep the leg. We could have blown this one wide open. Disappointed.

Go Bolts!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Can’t win them all, especially when the refs are giving out stupid calls left right and centre. Boyle saying that he is going to kill sergachev haha if he gets dropped on Wednesday lol.
Good I hope Kucherov is sergachev best friend and we get a angry Kucherov Wednesday scoring goals

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Gotta say it was nice hearing Darren Pang on commentary. I usually don't watch much Blues games because they are a pretty boring team to watch but they have a pretty good broadcast team.

Reactions: theoptimist

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Gotta say it was nice hearing Darren Pang on commentary. I usually don't watch much Blues games because they are a pretty boring team to watch but they have a pretty good broadcast team.
I liked them, too. Was fair assessing the calls and no obvious favoritism nor drama even for the sake of entertainment purposes.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
For crying out loud that was a baby hit not even a elbow to the head it looked like sergachev was trying to bump him a little before changing shifts lol terrible call

Yeah, nothing to see here. A 2 minute call at most and that's it. Same for that knee or whatever, just ridicolous stuff.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Boyler. Love that guy.

Didn't see whatever happened though, that ending was aggravating.

Starts around 7:48. They said Serg put a hit on Coleman that Boyle didn't like. And Serg didn't like Boyle's hit on Conacher.

Funny to see that beanpole Boyle get manhandled by a 19-year old Sergachev. Boyle eventually flips him over with the help of Severson and the referee. Oh Boyler, go home.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Honestly, I get why Boyle does the stuff he does. He tries to intimidate people and has 1-2 crazy spells a year where he flips out on players. He's not intimidating though. He's been a constant turnover machine for them and I've seen their fans on their board and the main board want him out and to put Bratt in. When he had the run in with Abdelkader I don't know why Abdelkader didn't throw down multiple times with him. He's a pretty bad fighter and wins maybe 1 out of 5. He's not entirely bone crushing either. He's really just pissed Sergachev nearly took his head off at the blue line in game 1. Since then, he's been eager to go after the youngest guy on our team. No ptoblem, it's hockey and I get it's his role to be somewhat physical, but he's doing it to his former team. And by that I mean, nobody is really taking him seriously. The only one being goaded into his shenanigans is the very guy he first started it with in game 1. Conacher isn't afraid of him, I highly doubt Gourde and Point are even concerned. He's probably one of the softest players in the league that's above 6'5".

Him saying watch out I'll f***ing kill you should be translated to be moreso: watch out, I'll bear hug you in a fight and WWE trash talk you from the box. I'll always like Boyle, but I think he is trying to dupe guys into thinking he's some physical force when hes clearly not.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, nothing to see here. A 2 minute call at most and that's it. Same for that knee or whatever, just ridicolous stuff.
To me it looks like Serg was trying to brace for impact as he couldn't avoid contact anymore. Serg has his arm and shoulder tucked, no evidence of deliberate motion to Coleman's head. I mean it looks interesting in slow-motion but in real-time there was no chance for Serg to know or expect Coleman to lean forward like that last second.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
The thing that bothers me about this loss is our team should know better by now. Jersey wants a series like this. It gives them a fighting chance at beating us. This kind of circus show happens in the first round every year, and we still took the bait. Have to keep our composure from here on out. What a ridiculous game.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Honestly, I get why Boyle does the stuff he does. He tries to intimidate people and has 1-2 crazy spells a year where he flips out on players. He's not intimidating though. He's been a constant turnover machine for them and I've seen their fans on their board and the main board want him out and to put Bratt in. When he had the run in with Abdelkader I don't know why Abdelkader didn't throw down multiple times with him. He's a pretty bad fighter and wins maybe 1 out of 5. He's not entirely bone crushing either. He's really just pissed Sergachev nearly took his head off at the blue line in game 1. Since then, he's been eager to go after the youngest guy on our team. No ptoblem, it's hockey and I get it's his role to be somewhat physical, but he's doing it to his former team. And by that I mean, nobody is really taking him seriously. The only one being goaded into his shenanigans is the very guy he first started it with in game 1. Conacher isn't afraid of him, I highly doubt Gourde and Point are even concerned. He's probably one of the softest players in the league that's above 6'5".

Him saying watch out I'll ****ing kill you should be translated to be moreso: watch out, I'll bear hug you in a fight and WWE trash talk you from the box. I'll always like Boyle, but I think he is trying to dupe guys into thinking he's some physical force when hes clearly not.
Yeah. He definitely burned up whatever leftover feelings of loyalty I might have had towards him as a player.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If it came down to it Stamkos could whoop Boyle anyday of the week, it wouldn't even be close

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
WTF happened to us. We are in the playoffs yet again, we have a 2-1 series lead, are clearly better and we're getting moping because we aren't up 3-0.

These playoffs are going to be unbearable if we are going to be THIS frustrated by the other teams trying to win too and actually doing it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That Paquette call was bad. I saw two guys battling hard to get to a loose puck. You simply can't make that a play that players have to think about in the playoffs.
The holding call on Miller was horrible too. Especially when we committed so many other blatant penalties before but THAT was where they draw the line

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The holding call on Miller was horrible too. Especially when we committed so many other blatant penalties before but THAT was where they draw the line
Just like the elbowing call on Miller in game 2 when he sat down Lovejoy twice in 10 seconds - both legal hits (even the NBC guys said so even though they're clearly in love with the... heh... Devils).

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The thing that bothers me about this loss is our team should know better by now. Jersey wants a series like this. It gives them a fighting chance at beating us. This kind of circus show happens in the first round every year, and we still took the bait. Have to keep our composure from here on out. What a ridiculous game.
To be honest, I'm kinda glad the game ended the way it did. Now there is no mistake that the team is fully engaged in this series. IMO it would have been worse if nothing happened and both teams just skated off. Tampa would have just stewed in the loss vs getting fired up for the next game. I still think my prediction of 5 games for the bolts to win still stands. I think we'll see a text book road game in game 4, something akin to game 7 against the rangers a few years ago.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Sucks to give them a lifeline, but honestly, nothing has changed. The biggest obstacle to Tampa moving on to the second round is themselves. I am not convinced that the Devils can provide any kind of consistent scoring threat outside of Taylor Hall. Both of Hall's goals in this series have been the result of assists from TB players (see below). One guy isn't going to cut it. No matter how good he is.

This was the third time in 3 games that a puck has come off of a Tampa stick directly to an unmarked Devils player in the slot that lead to a goal. If that doesn't happen tonight, they don't tie early and we could be here talking about how we're up 3-0.

I felt like the effort was a little more consistent last night, but players got selfish and started playing undisciplined. I think the refs clearly had an agenda last night, but they made bad calls both ways regardless.

It was nice to get Stamkos on the board. Maybe he'll shoot now. I'm so tired of seeing him get an open look only to pass it cross ice and have it broken up and heading back the other way. This team still can't shake the whole "one more pass" thing sometimes.

The PK has been fine, but you can't spend as much time on the PK in the next game as they did last night. The Devils cannot beat TB 5v5. They're gonna need the PP to generate pressure and build off of that.

Hopefully TB learned from last night and comes back to shut them down in game 4. Don't let them think they're on your level. They're not. Prove it to them.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
There's some legitimate hate in this series that's brewed. Gotta love that.

Think this is just one hiccup. Think they take the next two and the series.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Tampa didn't deserve to win that game but the officiating throughout the game (for both sides) was wildly inconsistent and rather disgraceful. The stuff that were clearly penalties weren't called but some ticky tack ones were (excluding the laughably bad one on Serg).

I think everyone could agree that the refs need to be consistent and that's all. Tampa clearly had a full blown meltdown and the Devils made them pay.

I'd love to see Cooper send Sergachev out on opening faceoff and have he and Boyle drop gloves right from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad