3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I don't know how people aren't seeing it.

Zucc was part of the group pushing the offense with Kreider and ADA. All 3 broke out of the D zone on the rush with Kreider in the lead, who gets the shot. As Burns clears it, there are 3 Rangers in their O zone and 3 Sharks, so all 3 of their responsibilities are in the zone with them. The other two Sharks have started to turn into the neutral zone and are the responsibility of Staal and Howden, since they were not a part of the initial rush and are the furthest back... the "safeties." With a long change, they have to read the play and make a decision on whether it's a better idea to stay on the ice and cover the players that they're responsible for or make the change.

Howden, or the guy he changes with, is responsible for the goal scorer and Howden didn't give him a chance to even get in the play with a lazy change. Staal got the change in time, but threw McQuaid right into the fire by taking his time getting to the bench. If it's a short change 1st or 3rd period, the decision is fine, but not with the long change.

ADA's responsibility there is back checking the middle guy and seems to do his best to catch up after a long shift.

I'm a fan of Howden but that was one of his bad moments... along with Staal and the coaching staff.

Zucc was trailing the play. He knows that the other guys are changing, there is no need for him to get that aggressive when DeAngelo is already further up ice than he is (covering that point is his responsibility, hes the winger on the same side as ADA.)

The shot selection wasn't good, the change was worse, but lets not absolve Zucc for messing up here. He did.

Even if Howden gets off on time, thats a 3 on 2 with guess who, Zucc being caught in deep again - that doesn't change.

It's funny, I think of the guys who were out there on the initial shift DeAngelo is the only one who was least at fault for that goal against.

yes. yes to both of these.

when we break this down, its simple poor neutral zone coverage and a poorly timed change.

joe, during the broadcast, said ADA was too aggressive or something like that.

not true at all.

the forwards played no defense due to a poor change and staal lollygagging it to the bench didnt help either.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
lol... what? You blame Kreider for putting a great shot on goal? His rebound isn't what came out of the zone, it was cleared by Burns with both ADA and Zucc in the O zone already. The shot was the right play.

DeAngelo didn't even make a bad play, IMO, because he was breaking right from the start out of the D zone with Kreider. If you want to put blame anywhere, it's a bad change by Staal and too slow of a change by Howden. Staal should have stayed on being the deep man in the period with the long change and reading ADA breaking out with Kreider. Howden needs to hustle to change or stay on and cover for the breaking D man, again because of the long change. Both lazily left the ice.

You can talk about what the other players could have done differently, or should have done, but majority of that is on Kreider. I'm sorry but that's not a great shot on goal. It was a lazy play.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think Zucc needs to shoot more. He’s got a good shot. He’s become so predictable that, every player on the ice knows what he’s looking for when the puck is on his stick in the right circle.

Reactions: Ori

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Love the quote about all the players wanting to play with Howden. He's been a nice surprise so far. Also seeing Names all over the ice is encouraging to see. I think the forward lines are a bit of mess right now. I think you get Zibby and Kreider back together but put Fast with them. That line was arguably our best last year and don't see why you'd ever split Zibby and Kreider from each other.

I'd like to get Howden with some shooters like Spooner and Buch. Leave Zucc and Hayes together and maybe throw Names with them. The one issue is Chytil isn't a fourth line player and don't think he's been good enough to be higher up. Maybe send him down for Anderrson?

Regarding the D, we need DeAngelo playing every game and Staal needs to find the press box. Claesson was one of our best players last night and needs to get in the lineup more. Smith's play has been encouraging. I'd like to see something like:
Skjei-DeAngelo
Smith-Shatty
Claesson-McQuaid/Pionk

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Our game was a fun win and watching Howden is a treat, as is now watching Kotkaniemi of the Habs.

Even better? Shaw bumping the goalie, getting a goaltender interference penalty (that was clear), goal being attributed as good, coach challenge, comes back as not a good goal.

Crowd yelling "REFS YOU SUCK" nonstop. Because the right call was made from Toronto review. LOVE IT.

We're gonna have a lot of growing pains, but it's good to get a win even if we needed vintage game 7 Hank to pull it off. Like I've said.... gonna be a rough season for fans who want wins but if we're competitive (from whoever is ON that night) and learn and progress and evolve with new faces, new coach, new system, then I'm good. Getting blown out and mailing it in would irk me.

So I walk away from tonight happy, knowing full well what our season will be. Hope Howden keeps that up.

I just saw the game with sound Echo most of the game, and Skjei with an excellent finish in OT after good defensive display by Zucc. We were the best team in most of the 3rd period so it was great to get a win vs Sharks with Erik K. and Burns.

Yes Howden line with Zucc & Kreider will be fun to watch next game - they had many good chances in this game and they had good chemistry for sure @Stasis

Smith was good with a great goal end of 3rd 2-2 and OT hockey, and great play by both Buch & Fast. And hopefully Kevin Shattenkirk recover and figure out how to shoot we need him on our PP next game vs Oilers saturday 13th of October.

Henrik continue to play solid and won this one in MSG vs cup contender San Jose this season which had many stars on it.

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I just saw the game with sound Echo most of the game, and Skjei with an excellent finish in OT after good defensive display by Zucc. We were the best team in most of the 3rd period so it was great to get a win vs Sharks with Erik K. and Burns.

Yes the Howden line with Zucc & Kreider will be fun to watch next game - they had many good chances in this game and they had good chemistry for sure @Stasis

Smith was good with a great goal end of 3rd 2-2 and OT hockey, and great play by both Buch & Fast. And hopefully Kevin Shattenkirk recover and figure out how to shoot we need him on our PP next game vs Oilers saturday 13th of October.

Henrik continue to play solid and won this one in MSG vs cup contender San Jose this season which had many stars on it.

Looks like it will be Buch-Howden-Zucc tomorrow, Quinn obviously wants to keep Zucc with the kids, it was a success with Howden.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Looks like it will be Buch-Howden-Zucc tomorrow, Quinn obviously wants to keep Zucc with the kids, it was a success with Howden.

I doubt it - Howden line was the most dangerous last night with Zucc & Kreider no point to change that line at the moment in my opinion. I like Kreider on it, because he enjoy to shoot the puck and Zucc almost deflected it couple of times - just great saves last night. :)

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I doubt it - Howden line was the most dangerous last night with Zucc & Kreider no point to change that line at the moment in my opinion. I like Kreider on it, because he enjoy to shoot the puck and Zucc almost deflected it couple of times - just great saves last night. :)

I'm saying that because Buch replaced Kreider on that line at practice today, then probably the same against the Oilers.

I think Quinn hopes Buch can become a better player on the left side.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Call me crazy but I’d like to see Chytil move to the wing and play with howden and fast. Like Jesper handle the brunt of the defensive and gritty work. I think Chytil could add some incredible playmaking ability to that line

Reactions: belford222 and Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Call me crazy but I’d like to see Chytil move to the wing and play with howden and fast. Like Jesper handle the brunt of the defensive and gritty work. I think Chytil could add some incredible playmaking ability to that line

We will see, but Jeff Gorton said he want to see Chytil as a center though and develop in that position - it`s a value thing @Vinny DeAngelo.

Yes I saw the tweet @Webster , but I don`t agree with that change now since we won the first game of the season with some good chemistry on that line last night. Now Buch need to finish plays, but he will probably pass it like he did to Smith. The main issue with this team in top 9 - there too few good finishers by our forwards.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hank and Howden need no explanation.
My third vote goes to Staal who isn't even close to being as bad as some people here apparently want him to be.
A big fat negative vote goes to my man CK20. What on earth is he trying to do out there?

are you kidding? he looked like garbage AGAIN in this game

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We will see, but Jeff Gorton said he want to see Chytil as a center though and develop in that position - it`s a value thing @Vinny DeAngelo.

Yes I saw the tweet @Webster , but I don`t agree with that change now since we won the first game of the season with some good chemistry on that line last night. Now Buch need to finish plays, but he will probably pass it like he did to Smith. The main issue with this team in top 9 - there too few good finishers by our forwards.

I mean I get your point, but to use an example of a play that ended up as a goal is a bit strange to me.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I spend all this time complaining about almost every single roster player and people are ignoring it and thinking players have been given a pass. Talk about rude.

Hayes definitely has not been given a pass. He's been trying to do too much, including turnovers in the offensive zones that have ended up in the back of our net. Without Vinni Lettieri, he'd still be dangling and holding on to that puck against New Jersey. Hayes thinks he's Matthews but the stuff he tries to do doesn't work and any silly attempts ends up in the loss of possession or a bad turnover. He's been a big problem so far. At least Zucc is getting points and trying to do stuff around the net at EV.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Fun team to watch..Zuke always starts slow. Lets continue to build up our trade-able assets and pull the trigger on futures. Personally Id like Lias instead of slow mo hayes. I hope the coach makes it through the rebuild and gets to harvest the fruit. I like clausson brady neil ada smith as the top 5 dmen then rotate shat mcquaid and staal

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The team seems to have a good attitude. The players don’t quit on plays. They play entertaining hockey. Good stuff. It may take a bit to get used to the new system — as was the case with AV and Torts — but I see a lot of positives.

Reactions: belford222

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The team seems to have a good attitude. The players don’t quit on plays. They play entertaining hockey. Good stuff. It may take a bit to get used to the new system — as was the case with AV and Torts — but I see a lot of positives.

They beat the mighty Sharks, I honestly didn't think they would do that. This is a booster for the future.

They are proud, I know they are :thumbu:

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I still wanna see what Zbad could do on the wing. I feel he’d be so much better there

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Fun team to watch..Zuke always starts slow. Lets continue to build up our trade-able assets and pull the trigger on futures. Personally Id like Lias instead of slow mo hayes. I hope the coach makes it through the rebuild and gets to harvest the fruit. I like clausson brady neil ada smith as the top 5 dmen then rotate shat mcquaid and staal

This is false.

He's actually gotten off to pretty quick starts in each of the 3 seasons before this one.

His level of play has dropped pretty quickly over the last 1+ seasons. It's early, but it just looks like a continuation of his worst moments last year.

The stat line doesn't look bad but it didn't look bad last season either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad