3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Concerning the bold area... Not at all. I don't know how you come to the conclusion that is Zucc's fault. Kreider, ADA and Zucc all broke out together from the defensive zone. Those three are now in the play and it's on Staal and Howden to make the judgement on the long line change (2nd Period) or to stay on the ice since 3 guys are already pushing into the O zone. Howden glided his way to the line change, as did Staal.. who at least got there fast enough to throw McQuaid right into the fire.

The 3 on 1 wasn't on anyone completely. It's a mix of bad changes and lack of hustle between coaching, Howden and Staal.

Some posters keep this Zucc bashing to a level that it becomes pathetic. It's either pure evil, or they are completely clueless when it comes to the game of hockey.

He has three points in four games, plays full effort 20 mins a game, helps the kids to become good players, what more can you expect?

I'll have a good laugh when they extend his contract and Quinn replaces his A with a C, because that may very well happen. Keep this in mind.

Zucc's latest comment when it comes to the business side of things..."we'll see if we can find a solution".

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I would say he was a bit overly aggressive at times. I would also say that the times that he pinched and was caught, the forwards did him no favors in covering for him. Not his best game for sure though

Forwards have been super bad about covering for pinching D

I dont think Zuccarello plays well at all. I actually hope Quinn benches him and puts a target on his back to perform better.
There are several points to his play that I dont like:
- He is forcing passes too much. Him and Hayes have this thing where they stop skating when they get the puck, which limits the options and often end in a low percentage pass and leading into a turnover.
- I see him not holding the angle to the wall and turning around to recieve the pass, which leads to no forward momentum and he has to pass, because the other players are catching up to him.
- I dont like the position he has in the powerplay. Going into the middle. He should be on the wall, leading the powerplay and shooting the puck, if no plays are available (yes, I know I said shooting). And for that to happen, he needs to play on the correct side. Right side.

I feel like I've been bashing Zucc lately but I agree on a lot of this stuff. I actually think that Hayes has better vision and patience with the puck so holding onto it and slowing things down works better for him than it does for Zucc who tends to just throw passes into the crowd and hope it makes it through.

It's just the player he is...he's always gotten a lot of slack because he almost always hustles up and down the ice even if his defensive zone play is weak, but when he's not scoring or having a rough stretch he's often just brutal with the puck offensively. He's a very high risk high reward low percentage type of player

Anyways, I missed kind of the middle part of the game but I didn't think Buch looked comfortable at all on the left. Curious to see how long they try that out...would be an interesting idea if he can adapt a bit and get to play a bit more with the puck on his stick facing the middle of the ice, but too often last night he defaulted over to the right side of the ice anyways so he's clearly not used to the idea of playing on the left.

I think it's good to get a win here...get the coaches first win, against a good team, only allow 2 goals, etc. Sure they got outplayed, San Jose is obviously a better team, but it's all still a work in progress and I think getting that win out of the way is good so it doesn't drag on and because a pressure point of "when is this coach going to get a win?"

I'm hoping some lineup decisions can kind of get made within these first 10-15 games though and get things settled a bit more though

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Howden has been our best forward in this short season which is very surprising. Now if Kreider, Zucc, Hayes, and Zibs could get their heads out of their collective asses we could be OK. That McDonagh trade isn't looking as bad as half this board was lamenting about last spring. I still say that Gorton did very well acquiring assets last year. McDonagh and Miller for Howden, Hajek, Names, a first and at least a second looks pretty good to me. He did well with Holden, Nash, and Grabner trades too.

trunkslamchest

NASH W I D E
Nov 21, 2016
wide
Overall, that was a good win. We are still very rough around the edges, way too many odd man rushes against, a lot of puck watching, a lot of forced plays resulting in turn overs, still a lot of learning to do and progress to be made. Everyone still looks nervous and hesitant, but that will go away as time progresses.

Howden is a beast. There are players that perform better if they focus on doing 1 thing and 1 thing only, and there are players that perform better when they go out and just try to do that hockey. Howden is the latter of the two. He definitely needs more lower body strength, but once he builds that up, he will be scoring a lot of goals in front of the net.

To be honest, that was the first game I saw Hayes actually skate hard. I get that his play style is to slow down the pace and create chances with his patience (which causes people to think he is lazy), but I noticed Hayes creating opportunities because he was consistently hustling, instead of hustling only when he thinks he can make a play.

In stark comparison, Krieder has been getting on my nerves. The guy doesn't seem to want to skate hard. If he does, it looks like hes just going through the motions. He has intangibles he only uses when he feels like it. If Krieder skated like Howden, those two on a line would be difficult to stop. I dont know if it's lack of motivation or conditioning or if hes trying to play safe to avoid injury (like nash after the concussions) or what, but it's getting obvious to me that he isnt the same player he was in 2014. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets scratched or benched soon.

Mika has been a complete ghost. He falls down whenever he gets near the puck.

Zucc is trying hard, but he is trying too hard, which is ruining his hockey sense and timing. The old adage of gripping your stick too tightly comes to mind.

ADA reminds me of every New Jersey kid I played against in juniors. Plays well, plays gritty, has skill...but always finds ways to screw up or do something that makes himself look stupid.

Sjkei played poorly despite his goal in OT. Sure, he had a lot of offensive chances throughout the game, but he needs a an anchored stay at home partner to be a threat, otherwise he starts becoming liability. That is why he thrived when he was paired with mcdonagh. The first SJ goal where Sjkei pinched then got juked out of his jock strap made me facepalm twice.

Namestnikov looked better, but wiffed so much i am calling him Namisstnikov from now on.

We do not deserve the god that is Henkrik Lundqvist.

Marc Staal is a traffic cone.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Despite Skjei getting juked on that Sorensen goal...he still kept Sorensen away from the middle of the ice and didn't let him walk in alone on Lundqvist and he did get himself turned around facing Sorensen and nearly contested/deflected the shot...a shot that had to be nearly perfect to beat Lundqvist anyways

It wasn't a good look but it also wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be here

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Has anyone noticed Hank has pretty much COMPLETELY lost his Swedish accent when he speaks English? He speaks immaculate English now, with no hint of an accent...he sounds like an American public speaker or businessman or CEO. He says his words perfectly and very articulated and sharp. Just an interesting sociological observation...Watch the post game interview from last night, when he is happy (like after a win) he always talks a lot more and gives long answers and seems excited.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
s

It wasn't a good look but it also wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be here

Yeah it looked pretty freakin embarrassing, he got his ankles broken and taken to school on that play...but still an amazing play Sorensen...that's the kind of humiliation you usually only see in juniors or pickup games lol. But still Skjei redeemed himself and I still feel good about having him on the team. As long as we don't see more of that on a regular basis...but overall Rangers need to stop turning the goddamn puck over.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Some posters keep this Zucc bashing to a level that it becomes pathetic. It's either pure evil, or they are completely clueless when it comes to the game of hockey.

I'm happy we have you as the voice of reason and a completely objective fan to evaluate Zuccarello :laugh:

It's not bashing when the criticism is legitimate and shared by more people. Expectations of Zuccarello are higher and with good reason. He hasn't performed the way he should. That's not bashing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm happy we have you as the voice of reason and a completely objective fan to evaluate Zuccarello :laugh:

It's not bashing when the criticism is legitimate and shared by more people. Expectations of Zuccarello are higher and with good reason. He hasn't performed the way he should. That's not bashing.

Don't know why Zucc's cult always fails to see this.

But he's been straight up bad. If hes still bad 20 games in we may have a problem but I'm confident that he'll get it turned around to some extent.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DeAngelo has a lot of problems with bad pinches, but the only way those are going to work themselves out is if he continues playing. They might not work themselves out, but he's not going to get there in practice or the pressbox.
Agreed. Cleasson deserves ice time as well. Pionk may well be the odd man out right now. Stall should be scratched, but I understand why Quinn will not do so for a while. But if we are looking at making the best of a not so great situation, both Pionk & Staal should be sitting.

If we are also honest with ourselves, without Henke this team is still 0 for the season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Concerning the bold area... Not at all. I don't know how you come to the conclusion that is Zucc's fault. Kreider, ADA and Zucc all broke out together from the defensive zone. Those three are now in the play and it's on Staal and Howden to make the judgement on the long line change (2nd Period) or to stay on the ice since 3 guys are already pushing into the O zone. Howden glided his way to the line change, as did Staal.. who at least got there fast enough to throw McQuaid right into the fire.

The 3 on 1 wasn't on anyone completely. It's a mix of bad changes and lack of hustle between coaching, Howden and Staal.

Zucc was not only out of position but has to stay back to cover in that situation. He got sucked in too far and there isn't an excuse for that since the play was in front of him.

The change was bad, no doubt, but even with a good one that 3 on 1 is a 3 on 2.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

He has three points in four games, plays full effort 20 mins a game, helps the kids to become good players, what more can you expect?

I'll have a good laugh when they extend his contract and Quinn replaces his A with a C, because that may very well happen. Keep this in mind.

Zucc's latest comment when it comes to the business side of things..."we'll see if we can find a solution".

At least we aren't calling Joey f***ing Keane a goon.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah it looked pretty freakin embarrassing, he got his ankles broken and taken to school on that play...but still an amazing play Sorensen...that's the kind of humiliation you usually only see in juniors or pickup games lol. But still Skjei redeemed himself and I still feel good about having him on the team. As long as we don't see more of that on a regular basis...but overall Rangers need to stop turning the goddamn puck over.

He really didn't though...he ended up pivoting to face Sorenson and kept himself between Sorenson and the goal...

Like yeah you want to see him take the puck away/take the body/something like that but he did actually stay with the guy

e: I'm not sure why I'm "defending" Skjei in this, hah. It still wasn't a good play, I've just seen much much worse from better players than Skjei

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Zucc will probably hit his groove eventually but he's been bad so far.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
He really didn't though...he ended up pivoting to face Sorenson and kept himself between Sorenson and the goal...

Like yeah you want to see him take the puck away/take the body/something like that but he did actually stay with the guy

e: I'm not sure why I'm "defending" Skjei in this, hah. It still wasn't a good play, I've just seen much much worse from better players than Skjei
dawesundressingpronger.gif

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
he got caught up ice on that goal because ck took that long slapper that dell moved quickly to the boards. 77 was up ice supporting the puck as any good offensive dman would do. he was deep and while he was beaten by the puck and let the play get get behind him, the forwards did nothing at all. in fact they were changing.

not sure if the D change was the issue, the play changes direction quickly, hard to say 77 knew his partner was changing but you did see staal crawling to the bench and mcquaid jumped on.

the change issue was more the forwards assuming the puck would go deep.

thats hardly on 77 alone. basically hockey, forward stays high when dman goes deep. its a team game.

there are plenty more examples of staal hanging 77 out to dry. just watch the the tape.

7:08 of the 2nd.... its comical. slow lethargic unable to make a decision leads to him playing no defense and just backing in.

staals feet are like lead boots.
Agreed about Staal obviously.

Agree to disagree about ADA last night. It's not only that he's out of position too often, it's that he's flat-out ineffective in his own zone, quite literally bouncing off guys.

Again, I'm willing to credit ADA for a good game in Carolina. And despite being a big Pionk booster, I'm willing to admit he hasn't been great to start the season and have no problem with him sitting right now. ODC, have you ever criticized ADA...? :)

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Zucc was not only out of position but has to stay back to cover in that situation. He got sucked in too far and there isn't an excuse for that since the play was in front of him.

The change was bad, no doubt, but even with a good one that 3 on 1 is a 3 on 2.

I don't know how people aren't seeing it.

Zucc was part of the group pushing the offense with Kreider and ADA. All 3 broke out of the D zone on the rush with Kreider in the lead, who gets the shot. As Burns clears it, there are 3 Rangers in their O zone and 3 Sharks, so all 3 of their responsibilities are in the zone with them. The other two Sharks have started to turn into the neutral zone and are the responsibility of Staal and Howden, since they were not a part of the initial rush and are the furthest back... the "safeties." With a long change, they have to read the play and make a decision on whether it's a better idea to stay on the ice and cover the players that they're responsible for or make the change.

Howden, or the guy he changes with, is responsible for the goal scorer and Howden didn't give him a chance to even get in the play with a lazy change. Staal got the change in time, but threw McQuaid right into the fire by taking his time getting to the bench. If it's a short change 1st or 3rd period, the decision is fine, but not with the long change.

ADA's responsibility there is back checking the middle guy and seems to do his best to catch up after a long shift.

I'm a fan of Howden but that was one of his bad moments... along with Staal and the coaching staff.

Reactions: belford222

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know how people aren't seeing it.

Zucc was part of the group pushing the offense with Kreider and ADA. All 3 broke out of the D zone on the rush with Kreider in the lead, who gets the shot. As Burns clears it, there are 3 Rangers in their O zone and 3 Sharks, so all 3 of their responsibilities are in the zone with them. The other two Sharks have started to turn into the neutral zone and are the responsibility of Staal and Howden, since they were not a part of the initial rush and are the furthest back... the "safeties." With a long change, they have to read the play and make a decision on whether it's a better idea to stay on the ice and cover the players that they're responsible for or make the change.

Howden, or the guy he changes with, is responsible for the goal scorer and Howden didn't give him a chance to even get in the play with a lazy change. Staal got the change in time, but threw McQuaid right into the fire by taking his time getting to the bench. If it's a short change 1st or 3rd period, the decision is fine, but not with the long change.

ADA's responsibility there is back checking the middle guy and seems to do his best to catch up after a long shift.

I'm a fan of Howden but that was one of his bad moments... along with Staal and the coaching staff.

Zucc was trailing the play. He knows that the other guys are changing, there is no need for him to get that aggressive when DeAngelo is already further up ice than he is (covering that point is his responsibility, hes the winger on the same side as ADA.)

The shot selection wasn't good, the change was worse, but lets not absolve Zucc for messing up here. He did.

Even if Howden gets off on time, thats a 3 on 2 with guess who, Zucc being caught in deep again - that doesn't change.

It's funny, I think of the guys who were out there on the initial shift DeAngelo is the only one who was least at fault for that goal against.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc is the last guy to worry about, but Zibanejad continues to get a pass around here, not to mention Hayes :rolleyes:

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Zucc was trailing the play. He knows that the other guys are changing, there is no need for him to get that aggressive when DeAngelo is already further up ice than he is (covering that point is his responsibility, hes the winger on the same side as ADA.)

The shot selection wasn't good, the change was worse, but lets not absolve Zucc for messing up here. He did.

Even if Howden gets off on time, thats a 3 on 2 with guess who, Zucc being caught in deep again - that doesn't change.

It's funny, I think of the guys who were out there on the initial shift DeAngelo is the only one who was least at fault for that goal against.
That's just not correct. Zucc starts the play with the pass from the D zone to Kreider and continues up ice 3 on 3. He's not supposed to sit back at that moment. He's part of the rush that he started and its 3 on 3 so one of those guys are his defensive responsibility coming back. The two trailing sharks, who quickly change for two other trailing sharks, are the responsibilities of the two trailing NYR. It is their respective decisions to stay on or change that creates the odd man rush.

Reactions: belford222 and Ori

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Good win

I was pumped up

I’m a huge Zucc fan but enough is enough. I’m tired of ......
Zucc
Kreider
Hayes
Zbad
Spooner
Names

I know it’s only 4 games in and I know this would leave us with a team full of rookies but SO WHAT!!

If we get back 4 first rounders (1 each for the first 4 guys listed) and two seconds in the next two drafts plus a few high level prospects than now is the time. Make the rebuild total and complete. I’ve seen enough of these guys. Kreider and Zib especially make me sick the way they play with the tools they have

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Zucc is the last guy to worry about, but Zibanejad continues to get a pass around here, not to mention Hayes :rolleyes:

If around here = HFNYR then I don't think anyone is giving Hayes and in particular Zibanejad a pass. There is lots of talk about how underwhelming they've been to start the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad