Value of: 3rd line center to the Leafs

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd have interest in Kevin Hayes.....don't know if Ranger fans would be alright with Kapanen/Brown/1st + 2nd/equivalent prospect as a framework.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
If the Ducks don't come to terms with Derek Grant, I could see him being signed by the Leafs and given a shot at 3C (moving to 4C if he couldn't cut it). He did play well when he was Ducks #1C in injury-relief duty and given quality ice time and linemates.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Center scoring 20 goals defensively responsible and great corsi puck control numbers, and under contract for few years. That's a solid mI'd to late first. Depending how early the pick maybe a 2nd coming the other way

I don't think you can call Berglund a 20 goal scored. He did it last year and hasn't done it for 6 years before that. He's been close, or "a good chance be would have", but didn't.

I'd say he's not worth a 1st, but who really knows what NHL GMs are thinking

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I mean I don't hate that because I like Matthews and Marner together but I also like this

Hyman Matthews Nylander it works.

Marleau Kadri Marner it works

Kapenan Anisimov Brown

The only issues is what happens with Johnsson and what does Anisimov cost to get?

Anisimov isn't as effective as Tyler Bozak, has never broken 49% in the circle, doesn't hit, and doesn't venture into the corners, gets very little PK and almost no PP time and just to ice the cake makes more then Tyler currently does, Id offer the 4.55 he makes to Tyler before I'd consider expending assets for a player of less talent.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Isn't Kyle Brodziak a UFA? I've liked his game in the past, how was he this year?
I don't think Brodziak skate's well enough anymore to handle what will be a very fast Leafs 3rd line he's more suited possibly for a fourth line role, but the Leafs have hopes for Aaltonen to handle the job as a the 4th line guy, the kid is, like Kapanen lightning fast and plays all 200 feet, don't let his size fool you

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It really was all that I could find. Maybe someone with better skills than me will provide something more.

not criticizing you at all, more criticizing a poorly written and executed analyses, so apologies if you took it that way...PPP is an amateur fanzone heavily populated by LeaFlanders

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
not criticizing you at all, more criticizing a poorly written and executed analyses, so apologies if you took it that way...PPP is an amateur fanzone heavily populated by LeaFlanders
Thank you. I understood that, but really I'd like to see more on this.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't think you can call Berglund a 20 goal scored. He did it last year and hasn't done it for 6 years before that. He's been close, or "a good chance be would have", but didn't.

I'd say he's not worth a 1st, but who really knows what NHL GMs are thinking
He's scored 168 goals in career 694 games over ten years, or 19.85 goals per 82 games. Half those seasons he scored at higher than a 20 goal pace, and half lower.

The last six seasons he's scored 93 goals in 384 games, or 19.86 goals per 82 games. Half those seasons he scored at higher than a 20 goal pace, and half lower.

The last four seasons he's scored 63 goals in 258 games, or 20.02 goals per 82 games. Half those seasons he scored at higher than a 20 goal pace, and half lower.

The last two seasons he's actually bettered his career pace with 40 goals in 139 games (23.4 goals per 82 games pace).

He's streaky (as is pretty much any true 3rd line quality player), and he's had some some injuries that he's had to work through, but he's a guy that's pretty reliably scored at a 20 goal pace over the long haul for the entirety of his career.

Who knows what his value is around the league, but I think calling him a defensively responsible 3rd line center who is a reasonable bet to score at a 20 goal pace any given year is a pretty accurate description.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Anisimov isn't as effective as Tyler Bozak, has never broken 49% in the circle, doesn't hit, and doesn't venture into the corners, gets very little PK and almost no PP time and just to ice the cake makes more then Tyler currently does, Id offer the 4.55 he makes to Tyler before I'd consider expending assets for a player of less talent.

Then get someone else it doesn't need to be him there are plenty of options

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Then get someone else it doesn't need to be him there are plenty of options
the Leafs are still building I don't get why anybody is in a rush to expend assets to acquire a more expensive option that wouldn't actually improve the club enough to justify that expenditure nor the outlay of dollars
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

as far as Patrick Berglund is concerned, the guy plays on the wing 70% of the time...jeepers boys do the research, good contract but the guy is a little injury prone

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
the Leafs are still building I don't get why anybody is in a rush to expend assets to acquire a more expensive option that wouldn't actually improve the club enough to justify that expenditure nor the outlay of dollars
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

as far as Patrick Berglund is concerned, the guy plays on the wing 70% of the time...jeepers boys do the research, good contract but the guy is a little injury prone

Because we have nothing in terms of centers on the farm which means we have to look outside the organisation

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Because we have nothing in terms of centers on the farm which means we have to look outside the organisation

Oh I'm very aware of that....................Bozak who's highly effective as a 3rd line centre would probably sign back on for the right bucks, or you go for the home run ball and bring JT home

at that point maybe you can bring in a Brodziak for a million or so

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
I'd re-sign Bozak, but I do not know if this is a possibility anymore, especially now after Lou won't be back next season (and if the new GM will consider it).

I haven't watched many Marlies games this season (maybe five or six), so I do not know if Aaltonen is ready to step in. And even if he is, I think he will end up as our fourth line center.

The question is, are we gonna make a push for JT if he hasn't re-signed with the Islanders in the next few weeks, or are we acquiring a third line center via trade?
Riley Nash? Or what about Thornton? Even though, I'd rather sign a center that will play for us a little longer than 1 year.

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad