Value of: 3rd line center to the Leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You're wilfully blind to the fact that it was due to injury and he wasn't sheltered.

Moreover, with such a young player, the fact that it didn't succeed at first doesn't mean it won't ever succeed nor be tried again.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they work on this right from the outset, depending on what else happens with the roster.

Nylander certainly has all the skills to be be top-six centre. He needs training and practice in the role.

If he's going truly be a center I don't want him sheltered

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
and he was given chances at both the AHL and NHL levels and hasn't been what they want, while people may wish he is a centre does not make it so

there is no real excuse young player or not, he is just not cut out to handle a centreman's duties at this level
Nylander did succeed at centre in the AHL and has never been given an extended opportunity to play centre in the NHL.

I can't read Babcock's mind, and unlike many others in this thread I won't pretend to do so. However, as far as I know Nylander might well stay at wing forever, or he might transition to centre as soon as next season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nylander did succeed at centre in the AHL and has never been given an extended opportunity to play centre in the NHL.

I can't read Babcock's mind, and unlike many others in this thread I won't pretend to do so. However, as far as I know Nylander might well stay at wing forever, or he might transition to centre as soon as next season.

He succeeded at center in the AHL but not the NHL and at the end of the day the NHL is all that truly matters

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He succeeded at center in the AHL but not the NHL and at the end of the day the NHL is all that truly matters
Nylander's career in the NHL is just beginning. Let's see what happens next. There is still a strong possibility that he could eventually play centre.

Another poster suggested he had tried and failed at that in both the NHL and the AHL. I don't think either is actually true, but you can believe whatever fiction you like.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nylander's career in the NHL is just beginning. Let's see what happens next. There is still a strong possibility that he could eventually play centre.

Another poster suggested he had tried and failed at that in both the NHL and the AHL. I don't think either is actually true, but you can believe whatever fiction you like.

I don't need to believe it I saw it, in fact it went so well that he was moved to Plekanec wing and Marleau was the one shifted to center for a significant chunk of games.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
The way Babs had Hyman taking the draws in the playoffs as Nylander and Matthews watched...kinda worried me.
Both players will be given an assignment this offseason....you can bet it has to do with getting back on the dot.

We will have a better idea once camp opens up...but I'd imagine Matthews and Nylander will start to separate themselves into lines 1 and 2.

Reactions: Mork

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The way Babs had Hyman taking the draws in the playoffs as Nylander and Matthews watched...kinda worried me.
Both players will be given an assignment this offseason....you can bet it has to do with getting back on the dot.

We will have a better idea once camp opens up...but I'd imagine Matthews and Nylander will start to separate themselves into lines 1 and 2.

I just don't see a reason to break up the top 6 when all that's needed is a 3rd line C.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I just don't see a reason to break up the top 6 when all that's needed is a 3rd line C.
I think it's more about maturing those lines than breaking up

(tough winger/ think Ritchie) - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown

With Matthews and Marner together, you don't need to break the bank on a winger.... even somene like Maroon, to get into the dirty areas , open up ice.

I personally think Nylander turns a corner once away from Matthews and looked at as secondary scoring

Reactions: coupe93 and Mork

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think it's more about maturing those lines than breaking up

(tough winger/ think Ritchie) - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown

With Matthews and Marner together, you don't need to break the bank on a winger.... even somene like Maroon, to get into the dirty areas , open up ice.

I personally think Nylander turns a corner once away from Matthews and looked at as secondary scoring

I mean I don't hate that because I like Matthews and Marner together but I also like this

Hyman Matthews Nylander it works.

Marleau Kadri Marner it works

Kapenan Anisimov Brown

The only issues is what happens with Johnsson and what does Anisimov cost to get?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Ya I don't think many teams doing that MAYBE whoever wins the cup if they still have that pick but seeing as I think Pittsburgh wins I don't see a 1st moving
Center scoring 20 goals defensively responsible and great corsi puck control numbers, and under contract for few years. That's a solid mI'd to late first. Depending how early the pick maybe a 2nd coming the other way

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Center scoring 20 goals defensively responsible and great corsi puck control numbers, and under contract for few years. That's a solid mI'd to late first. Depending how early the pick maybe a 2nd coming the other way

I think you can find a team willing to give a 2nd + a prospect hell, I'd do that, but I don't see a 1st and I'd trade a 1st but I'm not sure Berglund is the guy you do that for.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I think you can find a team willing to give a 2nd + a prospect hell, I'd do that, but I don't see a 1st and I'd trade a 1st but I'm not sure Berglund is the guy you do that for.
He is worth it. just check out his numbers. Like I said a 3rd or 2nd could come back depending on how high low 1st is. Also he can fill in at 2lw if needed no problems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad