Post-Game Talk: #39: FLYERS at Predators, Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019, 8:30 pm ET

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don't care if the whole team has smallpox. No excuses are valid for the diarrhea this team has spewed all over NHL ice this season. If someone had posted this team's current record on the main boards in a predictions thread, we would have rained down vitriol like there was no tomorrow. The underperformance is historical, there is zero entertainment value, and the squad is doing nearly the opposite of focusing on youth. The silver lining is actually mercury poisoning.

I am starting to seriously believe that God is weaning me off hockey to devote more of my life to real life.
Tbh, this team hasn't been exciting since Ghost's rookie season. And even then, it was only exciting while Ghost was playing lights out (before he was called up the team looked terrible).

And before that, I don't know, the 2012 playoffs against the pens maybe? That was exciting I guess.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Flyers played fine in this game honestly.

Ghost played like a Norris Trophy winner.* Provorov was great. Konecny played like his hair's on fire.

New lines were rolled out, which we all wanted. They generated a ton of scoring chances. Obviously things aren't going to click perfectly in the first game together. It's a very tough opponent on the road.

People talk about Jordan Weal like he's garbage but this game was probably better than 80% of the games Nolan Patrick has played this year. Laughton had some nice moments.

*Ghost had to cover for Hagg, who wasn't great. Ghost was the guy who had the defensive position, took out dangerous wingers, blocked shots and stayed back while Hagg was activating in the offensive zone (with little effect). This just in but Ghost is way better than Hagg in the defensive zone.
And saying Ghost is better than Hagg in the defensive zone is just a reminder that there's a good chance no Flyers defenseman would make any other team's Top4, with this season's play.

Wasn't such a bad game, but the Flyers, like every other NHL team, going in have a 50-50 chance to win every game they are in. So it's tough to watch game after game where they don't somehow tilt the odds in their favor with their play. So many areas of the basic game of hockey where they have nothing to offer.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Don’t see the point of closed door meetings. It has to suck for these guys, but they are done.

Say what you will, but up until they really dug themselves a hole they put in a decent effort.

You aren’t winning much with a PP that basically does nothing to help you win, although they did try to swap Ghost and Voracek. Still kept Simmonds who does nothing.

Still, there are small things that could be done. Lindblom could be moved off the fourth line. Myers called up and Mac benched. Nak and/or Voro. Simmonds moved to the fourth line.

The only thing the Flyers have done this season is call up Hart because of injuries. That’s f***ing disgraceful. He is the only new rookie “integrated” that didn’t play last year.

No I’m not going to go and count Jabroni.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Flyers basically don't make merit callups. Prospects in the AHL get called up when there's an injury, or when there's a Goulbourne callup.

When was the last time there was a merit callup? No I'm not counting Varone or Knight either. Jason Akeson? It's close enough to saying that it basically never happens.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The fact that Provy and Ghost are playing well now is a big deal and should not be taken for granted. Their substandard play/production has been a major part of the decline this year.

I think the team will be fine going forward, especially if Fletcher manages to make a few obvious tweaks.

God help me I really do think the PP will be fine-ish too. I think they can do 18% for the rest of the season.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
And saying Ghost is better than Hagg in the defensive zone is just a reminder that there's a good chance no Flyers defenseman would make any other team's Top4, with this season's play.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Closed door meeting... yes.

That has helped before. They are ready to conquer now. Ffs

Let the kids play. We all know that they will push hard in a game. Effort will be there. They'd come in saying to themselves "try to take this spot back" .

Do yourselves a favour. Stop watching the trainwreck until changes are made.

You are all a little insane ;)

Happy New Year.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
this is obviously not coaching, it’s the players. you do not trade Giroux. He’s had his chances in the playoffs. he’ll have his chances in the cellar. you don’t get off the hook bc ur good and the team stinks. F that. he’s the captain. he fights at the vanguard. he fights even if we are all going to die.

its been said. team is too slow, has no discipline, has no scoring, and crap goaltending. thank you that is all. team MUST sell at deadline and assure the tank that will net Hughes. Call everyone up, trade every lame vet even for nothing, and make sure to lose properly. If you don’t make a push for the POs, get a kid like hughes.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Trade simmonds, torpedo the season. Play the kids: Morin, Myers, NAK, Vorobyev, hell, maybe even call Friedman up. Sit trash vets like farmer amd Weise.

Pursue a real coach in the offseason.

These are the moves that have to be made before you blow up the core, otherwise it is a waste of time. Even then, the only core player I would trade right now is Voracek.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
A couple of weeks ago many people here assumed that the coach was the problem. Others said "Wait. Hakstol may or may not be a good coach but after the typical short effect everything will be the same."

Well...

A couple of weeks ago many people here wrote that changing the icetimes of Sanheim and MacDonald/Hägg will make a big difference. Others were not so sure.

Well...

I will continue saying that usually things are not that simple.

Our young guns are not that great yet as many would like to see them. Nolan Patrick is a major disappointment but if you like keep on complaining about Hägg....

Some of our veterans are degessing rapidly. The roster development has been awful.

We can continue to hope that some of our talents will finally make big steps. Or we can try to improve with trades.
I would try a mixture. Move Jake and Simmer. Get rid of MacDonald if possible. Bring in another Gudas-type of defenseman and a speedy forward. Go tanking.

We're 4-1-1 since the change. It HAS got better.

Really, has it got better since Hakstol was fired?
Or maybe those posters were right who wrote that player quality might be the bigger problem.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm shocked that they aren't dead last yet. Just shows how bad the Kings/Blues/Sens are

I think their fanbase can stomach a proper rebuild since they have at least been perennial contenders and they know it's time to tank for restocking the closet.

The Flyers are 5 years into the rebuild, some of the kids already on the roster and eager to prove themselves. They will not falter and that will ruin our draft position.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I came here to say amac once again wondering around instead manning guys infront of the net. I really don’t like that guy.

Going 29-9-5 ain’t happening to the jets let alone the flyers. Only hope is G goes to IR for back fatigue. Things happen slower than they should do we did get Hak fired. Hextall got fired. Hart comes up. Sanhiem plays more. It’s clear Gordon is a mini Hak in a lot of ways. Let’s just hope for the best:

Myers up
Amac down
NAK up
Weise down
Lindblom to the second line
Hart plays great
Provy returns
Simmonds traded for Kapanen
Jake traded for a sniper
Sign Panarin
Sign Q

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Hart has to go down right away. Go be a star in AHL. He is good enough for NHL, but team is pile of shit and he should be nowhere near it.

Recall the 3 best Phantoms , trade Simmonds ASAP or at least scratch him.
JVR to PP
Scratch or waive Farmer
Put G Couts TK back together for some fun again.
Oskar Nolan jake back together and leave them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad