Post-Game Talk: #39: FLYERS at Predators, Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019, 8:30 pm ET

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I don’t understand why people think that’s it’s one or the other when it comes to the problems. The coach was a problem, and the roster is a problem (it’s what Sielski fails to understand). You’re fooling yourself if you thought firing Hakstol was going to solve the problem. But he wasn’t a good coach, and comments from the players confirm that.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Or all the Simmonds posts. Or Jake with dumb passing/IQ, Or Provy's struggles.

The list goes on and on.

I just wonder how many times it needs to be said for people to hear it. Hak was PART of the issue. He has been removed. Problem is not solved, because Gordon is not that ANSWER either.

Just sad.

Even if you want to pretend people said coaching was the only problem, they never fired Knob or Lappy and put in the only HC I could believe to be a marginal difference from Hakstol. So it’s not like they ever fixed that one problem, even if we play that disingenuous game.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Lindblom has to play more than Weise and Simmonds.

Get NAK Folin and Myers in next game

Go to 3 RHD and put Provy Ghost Sanheim all on left side.

Provy Gudas
Ghost Folin
Sanheim Myers

Yes, but those would be the smart things to do. Flyers do Flyers things.

Like fire a bunch of people yet still somehow manage not to change a f***ing thing.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Did you know:

A 27 year old goalie with a .930 SV% and a 2.14 GAA this year, was signed this past summer for $1.5 million?

And so was that goalies coach, who was coming off a Stanley Cup win.

Hextall was happy with Hak and our goalies. Just sayin'

In fairness, Elliott is posting league average numbers but just can’t get healthy. Then Hak ran Stolarz into the ground, which is on Hextall too but very indirectly.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In fairness, Elliott is posting league average numbers but just can’t get healthy. Then Hak ran Stolarz into the ground, which is on Hextall too but very indirectly.

And, fun fact, Elliott has struggled to be healthy after he was given a stretch of games that is exhausting for his age and his usual usage. Fatigue causes injuries and injuries, especially in older players, can linger for a while.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
It’s humorous watching the reactions to the coaching change not curing anything.

It sure seemed like a lot of people thought firing Hakstol was the answer. They’ve fired the coach. And GM. I guess we go after Comcast, now, because it could never be the players’ fault.

Hak had a long-term contract, 3+ years at the helm, and plenty of time to fully implement his "system." The aspects of the game that are most susceptible to coaching (special teams) were a world class mess.

So, he is to be compared to an interim coach whose status is so apparently temporary he's not even listed on the Flyers' website?

Front Office Staff

That's a pitifully low bar.

Clearly, Fletcher is working on a permanent coach who will, hopefully, be head and shoulders above the mediocrity we've seen recently.

Also, Fletcher is clearly looking at the roster and will make changes before the deadline. I wish him all the luck in the world.

Letting go of Hak was, obviously, a step in the right direction. Hopefully, there will be many more.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Really, has it got better since Hakstol was fired?
Or maybe those posters were right who wrote that player quality might be the bigger problem.

When the people who complained about Hak also complained about AMac, Weise, Lehtera, goaltending, and player deployment I don’t understand how you believe Hak haters don’t think there’s player quality issues.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Maybe you and @Striiker could have a contest.

You post as many comments as you can find saying that Hak was the only issue.

Striiker post as many comments as he can find saying Hak is just one of the issues.

You should have no problem finding lots of posts since it "seemed" like there were lots of people saying it.
The mods placed Striiker & me on “forced ignore” so that won’t be happening.
But I think you understand my point— the players were this team’s biggest problem & in the anti-Hak hysteria it sure seemed a lot of posters had convinced themselves that coaching was a far bigger issue than the roster.

Reactions: marcsson68

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The mods placed Striiker & me on “forced ignore” so that won’t be happening.
But I think you understand my point— the players were this team’s biggest problem & in the anti-Hak hysteria it sure seemed a lot of posters had convinced themselves that coaching was a far bigger issue than the roster.
No, lot of posters said "fire Hak first because he is obviously a bad coach and then see how players do"

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
so i haven’t been back here, but i’m curious if you could expand on your remarks. my opinion is there is no way that a new coach is a panacea, and morever since the team is literal one of the worst in the league you have to trim the dead weight and play skunkworks with the callups. It’s not clear what you consider “wrong” and for what reason. I also make clear that while some ppl say trade giroux and as a favor to him, I say hell no, he’s the captain and the franchise, he stays at the vanguard and fights, win or lose.

to be sure these were my comments

"this is obviously not coaching, it’s the players. you do not trade Giroux. He’s had his chances in the playoffs. he’ll have his chances in the cellar. you don’t get off the hook bc ur good and the team stinks. F that. he’s the captain. he fights at the vanguard. he fights even if we are all going to die.

its been said. team is too slow, has no discipline, has no scoring, and crap goaltending. thank you that is all. team MUST sell at deadline and assure the tank that will net Hughes. Call everyone up, trade every lame vet even for nothing, and make sure to lose properly. If you don’t make a push for the POs, get a kid like hughes
."

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
so i haven’t been back here, but i’m curious if you could expand on your remarks. my opinion is there is no way that a new coach is a panacea, and morever since the team is literal one of the worst in the league you have to trim the dead weight and play skunkworks with the callups. It’s not clear what you consider “wrong” and for what reason. I also make clear that while some ppl say trade giroux and as a favor to him, I say hell no, he’s the captain and the franchise, he stays at the vanguard and fights, win or lose.

to be sure these were my comments

"this is obviously not coaching, it’s the players. you do not trade Giroux. He’s had his chances in the playoffs. he’ll have his chances in the cellar. you don’t get off the hook bc ur good and the team stinks. F that. he’s the captain. he fights at the vanguard. he fights even if we are all going to die.

its been said. team is too slow, has no discipline, has no scoring, and crap goaltending. thank you that is all. team MUST sell at deadline and assure the tank that will net Hughes. Call everyone up, trade every lame vet even for nothing, and make sure to lose properly. If you don’t make a push for the POs, get a kid like hughes
."

The bold parts

."​

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
The bold parts

."​
wrong :)

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
No no.

There are people who demand heads rolling (Hakstol, certain players) implying doing this will turn it around and there are people who take a more overall approach.

We will never know if Hakstol was an ok coach because with a new coach it hasn't got any better. It's worse now. So I am told this coach is even worse (even though he has done a few things the heads-rolling-party had demanded). Hmmm.

It is useless to have a debate who was right but if you don't see that some players (and I don't mean the usual suspects) are massively underachieving, then I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad