Prospect Info: 37th overall: Vancouver selects Jett Woo (D, Moose Jaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Funny how we classify people by their ethnic heritage. My best friend was born in Canada but both parents were born China...Asian descent and escaped the Communists regime.
He married a white woman who born in England but came to Canada at a early age. Throughout the years, (not much now). people would asked me about their mixed marriage.
My response, "I don't how it works, he's Canadian and she's English.

Reactions: lindgren

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
you should also avoid them if people saying "wait and see" upsets you.

Clueless as usual. People talking about how a prospect is doing currently creates discussion. Choosing to stick your head in the sand and ignkre everything in the present and just waiting and seeing stifles any sort of discussion in a discussion forum.

You should go back to canucks.com since criticism seems to hurt your feelings so much

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Can you guys use PMs to pat each other on the back instead of flooding every single thread with this tribalistic nonsense.

Woo is a fine pick where we got him. He played most of the year with a bum shoulder with difficult deployment. Not my pick here but completely reasonable.

Yikes........Does positivity annoy you that much? If we are making requests could i kindly make one myself? If the people who think we should have picked Tkachuk over OJ could do the same thing? I tend to find that after 298790 comments on the matter it's a tinnnnny bit stale. Please and thank you kindly.........

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Except that, you know, saying "wait and see" is useless drivel that doesn't contribute to any meaningful discussion.

right, being logical and rational is no fun at all. let's go with a negative hot take instead.

your comment perfectly encapsulates the bias that skews so much of the analysis here negative. too many people think it is smart and informed to take a negative slant wherever possible.

Reactions: Nomobo

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Yikes........Does positivity annoy you that much? If we are making requests could i kindly make one myself? If the people who think we should have picked Tkachuk over OJ could do the same thing? I tend to find that after 298790 comments on the matter it's a tinnnnny bit stale. Please and thank you kindly.........
Endlessly complaining about other posters is not "positivity".

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Endlessly complaining about other posters is not "positivity".

so you didn't like pitseleh's post complaining about "wait and see" posts either?

seriously, i responded to someone complaining about my point of view by posting an exact mirror image comment. he drew first blood. go back and read it. if you guys need a safe space where you can trash my point of view without fear of contradiction maybe you should ask the mods for a private forum. in the interim, suck it up buttercup.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
so you didn't like pitseleh's post complaining about "wait and see" posts either?

seriously, i responded to someone complaining about my point of view by posting an exact mirror image comment. he drew first blood. go back and read it. if you guys need a safe space where you can trash my point of view without fear of contradiction maybe you should ask the mods for a private forum. in the interim, suck it up buttercup.

Wait and see is a perfectly valid opinion. But its asinine to go into the threads discussing prospects and saying "wait and see", when the whole point of the prospect thread is to discuss the prospect. It's like going into a GDT and continually telling people not to worry about the game that is happening because it's the team's standings at the end of the season that matter.

I find it especially tedious when someone lectures me on it, as here, when there was no future projection in the post being responded to.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Wait and see is a perfectly valid opinion. But its asinine to go into the threads discussing prospects and saying "wait and see", when the whole point of the prospect thread is to discuss the prospect. It's like going into a GDT and continually telling people not to worry about the game that is happening because it's the team's standings at the end of the season that matter.

I find it especially tedious when someone lectures me on it, as here, when there was no future projection in the post being responded to.

well as i said, you tediously lectured me first about why wait and see, so why don't we call it even?

and i answered you in substance listing good reasons to wait and see for this player. if you need me to fill in the implied projection it would be that woo's points go up next season without clague in front of him or a bad shoulder and he looks like the 1st rounder he was trending to be before those things happened.

woo didn't suddenly go on radar based on the beginning of this season. he was already in the mix as a possible 1st. and if he had continued all season to score ppg as he did before his injury he would have been top 20 or better. i think the truth likely lies in between.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
if you need me to fill in the implied projection it would be that woo's points go up next season without clague in front of him or a bad shoulder and he looks like the 1st rounder he was trending to be before those things happened.

woo didn't suddenly go on radar based on the beginning of this season. he was already in the mix as a possible 1st. and if he had continued all season to score ppg as he did before his injury he would have been top 20 or better. i think the truth likely lies in between.

I largely agree. I suspect 35ish points is a reasonable projection for his last season absent injury and if not blocked by Clague. His 17 points in 18 games likely encompasses some good fortune early on, given his microstats. If you look at prospect lists from December, right after that stretch, he was being pegged right around 20 even as a PPG player. Accounting for likely regression in production, he probably would have ended up as a late first/early second. Hard to see even with more production his getting ranked above a guy like Sandin.

I would still be worried about taking a player who has already suffered a shoulder injury that affected his play for most of a season, especially when that player relies on physical play, with similarly rated players available.

ForeverDrought

Feb 24, 2016
I like the pick. I believe Jett Woo will become a solid all arounder for the Canucks and will have a good physical presence with speed. Which is what we need.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Congrats on this pick guys, really wanted him on the Jets. Had the pleasure of watching Woo every single game this season and even got to meet him. Really awesome kid, loves hockey. Great player. He had a concussion this season and two hip pointers which kind of derailed his season a little bit. But just wait and see what he will do when he's not being forced into a shutdown role. Kid has a tonne of offensive potential and will be the go to guy on the back end for the Warriors next season. I'm expected a big uptick in production as he finally gets some PP1 time and his 5v5 deployment isn't so heavily skewed to the defensive zone. Great skater with solid edgework, does the little things right and is excellent in transition. Great slap shot from the point, hard and accurate. Kid is built like a tank too and loves to throw his weight around but picks his battles wisely.

I think his closest comparable is probably actually a more physical Chris Tanev. 15-25 point high IQ mobile, defensively responsible dman that can chip in offensively. His ceiling may be a Vlasic type if he can really unleash his offensive potential I think and get into that 25-40 point range.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

It's like going into a thread about the latest big movie and posting that you haven't seen it yet. While perfectly reasonable to withhold judgment until you have seen the film, it is not something that adds anything to any actual discussion and berating people who are actually having a discussion is pretty silly.

It is also pretty amusing that it often comes from the same posters who will immediately judge a draft or a prospect to be a success. Somehow we can already declare the 2018 draft to be a win, while simultaneously needing to "wait and see" on the actual players selected. Seems like a strange contradiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krnuckfan

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's like going into a thread about the latest big movie and posting that you haven't seen it yet. While perfectly reasonable to withhold judgment until you have seen the film, it is not something that adds anything to any actual discussion and berating people who are actually having a discussion is pretty silly.

well i think it's more like going into a thread about a new movie where people are predicting a new actor is going to suck in it and questioning the reasons given for that prediction with actual arguments to the contrary. it does add something to the discussion considering everyone is assessing whether they want to see the movie and it is helpful in that context to point out when some people are being overly pessimistic about a casting decision.

in all seriousness, it's pretty incredible to see so many people pushing the same fallacious logic that "wait and see" is not a valid or helpful viewpoint to defend here. you need to have your head pretty far up your own orifice to truly believe that people are not contributing to the discussion when they point out how your rush to judgment arguments suck. i do not need to say "i predict this player is going to be an all star" in order to be allowed to disagree with someone who says "i predict this player will suck". it's incredibly childish to claim we need to play that stupid game of tennis here in order have a discussion about a prospect.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
"Wait and see" is an automatic caveat that is literally attached into any discussion about any prospect. But using it as some sort of a reasoning or argument itself is nothing but a completely worthless load on these already fragile servers.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
After the Canucks draft a prospect, Benning should "wait and see" before projecting them (and making decisions) based on a future line-up that doesn't exist.

I don't mind the Woo pick, but I do think he was targeted by his "intangibles", and how he would fit within a future envisioned line-up.

In 4 years, Hughes might be like Virtanen... ignored these days as a potential 1st line core piece in the envisioned future team that Benning sees and shares. Who you have in your prospect pool should have little bearing on present decisions.

... and yet, defensemen and centers were clearly targeted. It's not going to take long for it to start trending that better players were left on the table 2nd round on. This was a less calculated, intangibles filled draft. I'll predict less successful than the smart 2017 draft... but we'll see.

However, I do like what I read about Woo, and will be pleased if he becomes a #5 or #6 " fan favourite-type" dman.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
in all seriousness, it's pretty incredible to see so many people pushing the same fallacious logic that "wait and see" is not a valid or helpful viewpoint to defend here. you need to have your head pretty far up your own orifice to truly believe that people are not contributing to the discussion when they point out how your rush to judgment arguments suck. i do not need to say "i predict this player is going to be an all star" in order to be allowed to disagree with someone who says "i predict this player will suck". it's incredibly childish to claim we need to play that stupid game of tennis here in order have a discussion about a prospect.

That's an appropriate use of "wait and see": it is a reasonable response to overconfidence in future predictions.

But it's a non-sequitur as a response when someone comments on past events. That was my original frustration. Saying "wait and see" when someone simply comments about "x" past performance is beside the point, because there is no prediction attached to the comment.

Nor is it a valid response if someone says "x" past performance affects the likely future value of a player, because it is a narrow comment on the effect of a certain variable on the likelihood of success. You can argue "x" past performance should have zero weight on your future projection, but that is not the same as wait and see.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So he could top out as a Tanev 2.0 shut down player, but has an edge and more physical play, and maaayyyyybbbbeee some more offense?

Woo!

I really don't see much downside here. This is a Lind/Gadjovich level win with a second round pick. Perhaps not a Demko level win, but I'm still excited to see what he has got.

A safe, likely to play in the NHL, RHD...what more were we hoping for here? Especially with the one man offensive set up we may have drafted ahead of him....why aren't we uniformly excited?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I am actually not that high on him. I see him 50/50 chance he will make it to the nhl (300 plus games). He is not Seabrook or Dion.

He reminds me of Frank Corrado. Woo maybe a little more physical. Both won't wow you offensively, both are reliable and makes a good first pass. Both don't make a lot of mistakes. They are both same size as well.

But I rather Canucks draft someone with more offensive upside. Same with the 3rd round pick Madden as well.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Congrats on this pick guys, really wanted him on the Jets. Had the pleasure of watching Woo every single game this season and even got to meet him. Really awesome kid, loves hockey. Great player. He had a concussion this season and two hip pointers which kind of derailed his season a little bit. But just wait and see what he will do when he's not being forced into a shutdown role. Kid has a tonne of offensive potential and will be the go to guy on the back end for the Warriors next season. I'm expected a big uptick in production as he finally gets some PP1 time and his 5v5 deployment isn't so heavily skewed to the defensive zone. Great skater with solid edgework, does the little things right and is excellent in transition. Great slap shot from the point, hard and accurate. Kid is built like a tank too and loves to throw his weight around but picks his battles wisely.

I think his closest comparable is probably actually a more physical Chris Tanev. 15-25 point high IQ mobile, defensively responsible dman that can chip in offensively. His ceiling may be a Vlasic type if he can really unleash his offensive potential I think and get into that 25-40 point range.

In his interview he said he's never had a concussion in his life

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Think we'll regret passing on Tychonick here
Two completely different players..The scouting staff is obviously looking at the overall makeup of the D...We have enough Dmen who are undersized,puck transition players who are not physical...and you can't have 5 similar players like that on the backend.

Will probably be an unspectacular #3-5 defender ( as MS says) with a hefty portion of meat and potatoes ...I have no problems with that.

"He memorably blew up an opposing player with a big hit during the Hockey Canada selection camp for the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and it gave his side a lot of jump. Often with the Warriors, his hitting has led to scrums and gotten his opponents off their game. When he’s “on,” Woo can help his team in a lot of different ways."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad