Post-Game Talk: #36: FLYERS at Lightning, Thursday, Dec. 27, 2018, 7:30 pm ET

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It's all we can ask for at this point, just keep seeing improvement. He ain't going to be no star, but with his skillset he truly can carve out a nice career ala baby schenn.

Yeah it's totally fine if his upside is Tyler Bozak or Burakovsky.

The hard truth is that if this team develops the way we hope, a lot of guys we like who could be 1st/2nd line players on other teams will be our 4th line players. If Patrick is one of them, great.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Patrick has been playing well since Gordon took over. He's been going fine.

The team's future success and Patrick's development are not contingent upon his 2018-19 point totals.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll develop great playing 3rd line with Laughton and Raffl, and on a chronically anemic PP2. Super.

Stanley Cup... never.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Loser point doesn't feel as satisfying without our cowardly former coach. The wife was extolling the differences of watching the game tonite, vs. the typical game under the previous head coach.

Playing to win (versus not to lose), with pace, makes for an entertaining product. Who would have thunk that?

Still, the G goal, the Provy goal, getting to OT in the first place, Cooper punting on the challenge. All made for a fun game. The G turnover in OT... whomp whomp.

Edit: Also, screw the refs. Horrible missed off-side call resulting in a PK. Props to the Flyers for killing it. Raffl was wronged.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yeah it's totally fine if his upside is Tyler Bozak or Burakovsky.

The hard truth is that if this team develops the way we hope, a lot of guys we like who could be 1st/2nd line players on other teams will be our 4th line players. If Patrick is one of them, great.
Still we could of gotten so many useful players for Morin over the years. Not saying Patrick is in same category but sometimes it's important to cut the bait while perceived value is still high. Sort of Simmonds story in a lost season.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Patrick replacing Simmonds on PP1 is an easy change that could pay big dividends. At the very least, give Oskar back.

Lindblom - Patrick - Raffl could be a solid 3rd line with how Raffl is playing lately and with the prior chemistry of the other two.

I like how the team is playing overall lately, but the forward lines are just not ideal.

yeah sure

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Yeah, I'm sure he'll develop great playing 3rd line with Laughton and Raffl, and on a chronically anemic PP2. Super.

Stanley Cup... never.

Couturier had crappy linemates for years. He turned out OK. If Patrick ends up being Sean Couturier circa 2016 we should all be thankful. Again, as long as he's playing well it doesn't really matter what his point totals are. We're not playing fantasy hockey here.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I honestly can't believe some of the **** I'm reading. A whole lot of eulogies going around tonight for a kid who has played on dysfunctional teams for dysfunctional coaches and a dysfunctional PP unit.

I don't know what you're going on about. I want Patrick to be Sean Couturier II and am stoked about him and Frost being our Nos. 3/4 centers next year.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I don't know what you're going on about. I want Patrick to be Sean Couturier II and am stoked about him and Frost being our Nos. 3/4 centers next year.

Cool. Put him on the 4th line and make the odds he develops into Sean Couturier as low as humanly possible. Make his development a real uphill battle. Try to cripple any and all confidence. Sounds like a great development plan. Stanley Cup here we come.

Reactions: Tripod

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Cool. Put him on the 4th line and make the odds he develops into Sean Couturier as low as humanly possible. Make his development a real uphill battle. Try to cripple any and all confidence. Sounds like a great development plan. Stanley Cup here we come.

Couturier spent plenty of time playing with 4th-liners. So did William Karlsson. Stanley Cup teams need 4th-line centers who can put up 30 points a year. Patrick can do that and be really good in that role.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Couturier spent plenty of time playing with 4th-liners. So did William Karlsson. Stanley Cup teams need 4th-line centers who can put up 30 points a year. Patrick can do that and be really good in that role.

tenor.gif

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Just got in and caught the highlights on NHL Network, that G goal holy shit I’m still hard from seeing that, my lawd

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I'm okay with him on the 3rd line in more sheltered minutes. At least in theory. Raffl and Laughton won't cut it as linemates. The PP1 thing is such an easy fix it's laughable. He thrived in that role; the unit thrived in that role. Simmonds is being gifted minutes he's done nothing in, though you could say that for more than just the PP. Patrick could certainly hit 50 points if he played the PP1 all season and it got back into form, even with 3rd line production/minutes. We've seen it done before with Simmonds and Schenn. He needs a lifeline, and that PP net front is it. It bothers me they won't give it to him, unless something is in the works.

I've said it before, but I wouldn't even be opposed to playing him on the wing next to Couturier or Giroux. There's no shame in it; if only for experimentation short-term. Draisaitl and Reinhart aren't complaining about it, and neither are their teams. Just to ease his burden and get a kickstart. I do envision him as a center long-term, but I don't see the harm in just trying something outside the box.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Stinks that a number 2 pick doesn't look to have star power potential. JVR instead of Kane was painful enough. Nonetheless, we were gifted that pick against huge odds.

Reactions: DaphneLion

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Didn't read the GDT and only skimmed through the PGT... that was a wildly entertaining game and both goalies were exceptional. Strange to say in a 6-5 game.

Special teams were the difference today, but I actually was pretty happy with the first two powerplays. Simmer was absolutely robbed on the first and they had some good looks, but they were unlucky. The PK was a disaster, though. What's the point of playing a collapsed box if you let cross seam passes through? Ugly.

G's goal was a work of art and I'm a bit sad it was his horrific turnover that resulted in the GWG.

1st and 3rd periods at even strength were advantage Flyers. I didn't get the impression the Bolts were sitting on the lead in the third; Philly was just flying out there.

Might not be sustainable, but I hope they can play with this energy more often than not. The season isn't lost yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad