Post-Game Talk: #36: FLYERS at Lightning, Thursday, Dec. 27, 2018, 7:30 pm ET

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
they have to make trades to fix the d core besides provy and ghost, that's all you have right now. trade some of the older forwards and later picks for 3 dmen, hopefully make a splash at karlsson in fa, bring up the younger fowards, sign joel q this team will be great next year.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
There are two schools of thought on that. Roger Neilson, for example, encouraged his defensemen to leave their feet on 2-on-1s.

Also, AMac actually did disrupt the pass with his glove, which many may not have realized (I didn’t notice until a 2nd replay).

Lol could you pick a crazier coach as your example please.

I agree once upon a time there were two schools of thought. But today you would be hard pressed to find a coach that wants their players to leave their feet.

Yes you cover more ground laying out, but most of the covered area is realtively useless since it is outside the passing lane. You also make youraelf a non factor in roundbound situations and add the risk of running into your goalie on the play.

If you have done a good job of maintaining a good angle on the passing lane then you shouldn't have to go down. It's an out of date tactic that is supposed to be used when desperate not as a first option.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Lol could you pick a crazier coach as your example please.

I agree once upon a time there were two schools of thought. But today you would be hard pressed to find a coach that wants their players to leave their feet.

Yes you cover more ground laying out, but most of the covered area is realtively useless since it is outside the passing lane. You also make youraelf a non factor in roundbound situations and add the risk of running into your goalie on the play.

If you have done a good job of maintaining a good angle on the passing lane then you shouldn't have to go down. It's an out of date tactic that is supposed to be used when desperate not as a first option.
Here’s a good article advocating for sliding & contending the traditional approach is outdated: Playing the System: 2-on-1 Defense

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Here’s a good article advocating for sliding & contending the traditional approach is outdated: Playing the System: 2-on-1 Defense

That's why most kids are taught to be aggressive in the passing lane, cut down the angle the shooter has to the net and to move towards the puck carrier as they work into the zone and there is back pressure coming. You should be doing that weather you slide or not.

But if you start to drift toward the shooter while in the passing lane and drop to a knee and use your trail leg and a stick flat on the ice to fill the shooting passing lane (A good what 8 feet still?) You can both force he puck carriers hand and still be able to quickly get up if the player cuts wife or shoots for a rebound.

Also that article talks about eating the play and using the slide at the right time, something Amac definitely struggles with.

It's a boom or bust play, if it works it looks great, if it does you have rendered yourself more or less out of the play.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As a goalie, i want my defenseman staying on his feet for this play. a one knee down that you can recover from, as GapToothed mentioned, is perfectly fine. But i dont want to see my defenseman sliding past me, helpless. Its too easy for todays players ( even in lower beer leagues, etc) to power stop, and now youre left on an island. On top of that, if it goes across the crease and i can make the save, theres virtually no chance im controlling the rebound unless the shooter puts it directly into my glove. To boot, im also wildly sprawling across the net and wont recover nearly quick enough to make any follow up saves. At least if my defenseman stays on his feet, he can clear or cover the net until i regain form.

Sliding was ok before it became commonplace for anyone and everyone to be able to bat the puck out of mid air. You see this more and more these days, so just taking away the ice itself doesnt warrant the commitment to being out of the play.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
As a goalie, i want my defenseman staying on his feet for this play. a one knee down that you can recover from, as GapToothed mentioned, is perfectly fine. But i dont want to see my defenseman sliding past me, helpless. Its too easy for todays players ( even in lower beer leagues, etc) to power stop, and now youre left on an island. On top of that, if it goes across the crease and i can make the save, theres virtually no chance im controlling the rebound unless the shooter puts it directly into my glove. To boot, im also wildly sprawling across the net and wont recover nearly quick enough to make any follow up saves. At least if my defenseman stays on his feet, he can clear or cover the net until i regain form.

Sliding was ok before it became commonplace for anyone and everyone to be able to bat the puck out of mid air. You see this more and more these days, so just taking away the ice itself doesnt warrant the commitment to being out of the play.
I wasn’t directly advocating for one over the other, just saying there are different schools of thought.
However, personally I do think a well-timed slide can be quite effective. There’s risk, but everything you do in that situation has risk.
I don’t like the approach of “giving the goalie the shooter.” Force him to make a play. The slide impacts both a potential shot & potential pass. So I guess put me in the Neilson camp.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I wasn’t directly advocating for one over the other, just saying there are different schools of thought.
However, personally I do think a well-timed slide can be quite effective. There’s risk, but everything you do in that situation has risk.
I don’t like the approach of “giving the goalie the shooter.” Force him to make a play. The slide impacts both a potential shot & potential pass. So I guess put me in the Neilson camp.

I didnt take it that way - was just putting my perspective out there as someone who plays the position, that's all. Of course everything has risk. Its just my preference, and in my experience, if youre in tight, a person who takes a knee and performs a 'controlled slide' is just as effective as the person who full bodies it. Except the person who takes a knee has the ability to get back up and make a play. A defender should be able to mostly cut the passing lane and also force an angle in the same play. If the carrier can thread the needle for that pass, and the shooter in tight can make that play - im content to let that one in.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You weren't around for when the Flyers blew the 8th overall pick on a slow, stone-handed bottom 6 center when they could have had Doug "The Stud" Hamilton?
That’s exactly how this is going to go, if not even better. People didn’t learn their lesson.

Zero patience or foresight, with players of all ages. Patrick is done, Ghost is done, Giroux is done. If we listened to the impatient complainers, they’d all be gone, along with Couturier, Lindblom, Provorov, Jake, etc etc... actually I don’t think anyone good would be left...

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
That’s exactly how this is going to go, if not even better. People didn’t learn their lesson.

Zero patience or foresight, with players of all ages. Patrick is done, Ghost is done, Giroux is done. If we listened to the impatient complainers, they’d all be gone, along with Couturier, Lindblom, Provorov, Jake, etc etc... actually I don’t think anyone good would be left...

Hagg would stay thanks to his cap hit...!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Idk if that is a good thing or a bad thing you're trying to point out, but the level of energy in the games seem to be much higher then before by my eye test.

An Even goal differential is a lot better than -24, especially when 2 of those 5 games were against elite Cup contenders.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
From Charlie O'Connor's recap on The Athletic:

Interestingly enough, the 47-3 duo actually has performed quite well by advanced stats so far. In a little over 91 minutes together, they hold a 58.25% Corsi, giving an early answer to the question of what happens when a notorious shot-differential inflator (Gudas) skates next to a deflator (MacDonald). Mistakes are going to happen with MacDonald, and my view is that the 5-on-5 numbers from last night did miss a few less-than-stellar moments on his part. But most likely, his overall performance on Thursday was nowhere near as underwhelming as it may have seemed on first watch. Maybe this pairing could legitimately work.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The more I read of Charlie, the less enamored I become. He's smart, but whereas previously i thought our ideals and values were simpatico, I question that now. He's a journalist, I'm a fan, that's the grain of salt. But even when being objective, some of the things he's written/stood by just leave me questioning why I take him serious.

Still though, he's leaps and bounds better than the folks employed by the other local outfits.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weirdly enough he had a bonus 11th thing in his article today which just said - Ruck Over from HFB can kiss my ass! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->