Post-Game Talk: #36: FLYERS at Lightning, Thursday, Dec. 27, 2018, 7:30 pm ET

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I dont think we are far behind. Tampa definitely has a lot of good skaters who can handle the puck, and thats what makes their team really good. The Flyers replace guys likes Weise, Simmonds, Macdonald, and Hagg (at least 3 out of those 4) and then they are looking like the good team. Well, the goalie situation has to be worked on as well, but Hart hopefully is that guy.
Maybe not interms of forward once Frost gets here. But you still need a Norris D and a vezina goalie on top of a lot of good depth pieces. We have a good start but right now that’s all it is.

100% trade jake. He is getting paid so much for what he brings. He should be an elite player for what he got paid at the time he got it. I’m not sure what you get for him but if stl is listening it would be interesting.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Jake's time is up. Great player but if one of the core goes it likely will be him. He's a great player and likely will help a team (aka a Hossa) win it all. However he's not a true star player that can carry a team more like the 3rd wheel on a great team (like Hossa and Kessel).

I think people on the board have been giving Couts a pass this year. Provy and Couts (both great players) have had really rough seasons defensively. Couts had made a number of gaffes this season that have cost us goals and games. No pre season and the injury set him back but its a big reason we've struggled imo.

Great comeback its unfortunate that we continue to give prime scoring chances up in bundles almost every game. Every game opponents just sit alone in the slot...its crazy. Good point hopefully they can continue their great performances of late but no goalie can make saves on the 5 star chances they give up every game

Really? A few turnovers tonight aside, Coots has been excellent the last 20 games or so..

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Flyers are pretty far away from the simple standpoint that they don't have a quality number 1 NHL goaltender, and that their defense desperately needs another top pairing defender. That doesn't even get into the fact that the team's depth (which was supposed to be so much better this year) is pretty bad.

Reactions: DaphneLion

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I wonder if the Flyers would consider trading Nolan Patrick. If the new regime is committed to Giroux being back at center long term and they think Frost is the real deal perhaps they would. I'm not ready to give up on Patrick yet but he has been a disappointment this year and you have to wonder if Frost might surpass him in the eyes of the organization.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I wonder if the Flyers would consider trading Nolan Patrick. If the new regime is committed to Giroux being back at center long term and they think Frost is the real deal perhaps they would. I'm not ready to give up on Patrick yet but he has been a disappointment this year and you have to wonder if Frost might surpass him in the eyes of the organization.

I mentioned it in the game thread but ideally Patrick is the No. 4 center next year and I'm totally fine with that.

His trade value is too low right now to move him.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
When i was a kid i always remember hearing the worst thing for a defenseman to do is to lay down on the ice. Macdonald must of missed that memo

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
When i was a kid i always remember hearing the worst thing for a defenseman to do is to lay down on the ice. Macdonald must of missed that memo

I almost made a post about this tonight. Are MacDonald's defensive tactics taught by any coach at any level? I would guess not.

Reactions: Flyrs21

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mentioned it in the game thread but ideally Patrick is the No. 4 center next year and I'm totally fine with that.

He's 20 and already proved to be a quality 2C for the last 30 plus games down the stretch last season as a 19 year old. His future holds more than 4C in it. His slow start to this season has been due to a variety of factors, some of which have been out of his control. Im confident he will turn it on this season at some point.

Ideally, Frost blows the doors off in camp and we either move Giroux back to LW or we start off Frosty on the wing.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
He's 20 and already proved to be a quality 2C for the last 30 plus games down the stretch last season as a 19 year old. His future holds more than 4C in it. His slow start to this season has been due to a variety of factors, some of which have been out of his control. Im confident he will turn it on this season at some point.

Ideally, Frost blows the doors off in camp and we either move Giroux back to LW or we start off Frosty on the wing.

It doesn't matter if his future holds more than 4C in it. If we have 3 better centers just roll with it. Despite what Flyers management has been implying for 50 years, you are allowed to play skill players on the fourth line. If it takes Patrick 4-5 years to get to 50-point levels but we're winning games then who cares? Let him be a defensive shutdown center, like Couturier was for years.

Ideally? Panarin will be signed and prevent Giroux from having a top winger spot to even move into and Frost forces his way onto the team as the 3C.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It doesn't matter if his future holds more than 4C in it. If we have 3 better centers just roll with it. Despite what Flyers management has been implying for 50 years, you are allowed to play skill players on the fourth line. If it takes Patrick 4-5 years to get to 50-point levels but we're winning games then who cares? Let him be a defensive shutdown center, like Couturier was for years.

Ideally? Panarin will be signed and prevent Giroux from having a top winger spot to even move into and Frost forces his way onto the team as the 3C.

Sure, if we sign Panarin (unlikely) and Frost outplays Patrick and the team is hellbent on having G back at Center, than it is what it is. Dont forget about Vorobyev though. He could be a perfect 4C next season too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Speaking of Panarin, if we did sign him it would likely change our Expansion Draft strategy from 4-4-1 to 7-3-1. Could see us making a side deal with Seattle in that situation.

Giroux (NMC)
Panarin
Couturier
Konecny
Patrick
Voracek
JVR

Provy
Ghost
Sanheim

Hart

Side deal worked out to protect Myers?

Reactions: TheKingPin

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

This is the exact opposite of what we should do with him. Patrick playing with bottom of the roster forwards is a mistake. I will just keep saying it. Get this f***ing kid going. Play him with Giroux. Put him on PP1. Get him some points. Get him confident. Make him a priority.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This is the exact opposite of what we should do with him. Patrick playing with bottom of the roster forwards is a mistake. I will just keep saying it. Get this ****ing kid going. Play him with Giroux. Put him on PP1. Get him some points. Get him confident. Make him a priority.

Patrick has been playing well since Gordon took over. He's been going fine.

The team's future success and Patrick's development are not contingent upon his 2018-19 point totals.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is the exact opposite of what we should do with him. Patrick playing with bottom of the roster forwards is a mistake. I will just keep saying it. Get this ****ing kid going. Play him with Giroux. Put him on PP1. Get him some points. Get him confident. Make him a priority.

Patrick replacing Simmonds on PP1 is an easy change that could pay big dividends. At the very least, give Oskar back.

Lindblom - Patrick - Raffl could be a solid 3rd line with how Raffl is playing lately and with the prior chemistry of the other two.

I like how the team is playing overall lately, but the forward lines are just not ideal.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Patrick has been playing well since Gordon took over. He's been going fine.

The team's future success and Patrick's development are not contingent upon his 2018-19 point totals.
It's all we can ask for at this point, just keep seeing improvement. He ain't going to be no star, but with his skillset he truly can carve out a nice career ala baby schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad