35th Overall Antti Tuomisto, Defence

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Read comment on dobber prospects he was called up to Liiga but declined in order to retain NCAA eligibility?

February 2019 – Tuomisto has had a tremendous season in the top junior league in Finland. He has been good enough to earn promotion to the Liiga level but he has decided to decline that opportunity because he wants to preserve his NCAA eligibility. Because of that, Tuomisto hasn’t received the kind of hype he deserves. He has also been a great player for Finland at the U18 level in various tournaments, and he’s expected to play a major role for them at the U18 Worlds. Tuomisto is an offense-minded defenseman with good puck-skills and a great shot. His skating is good for someone his size, and it’s been getting better all season long. Tuomisto’s defensive game needs some improvements but because he has great size and good hockey sense, it’s reasonable to expect that part of his game to grow. He hits players to separate them from the puck but doesn’t go looking for big hits. He’s very lanky at the moment and will need at least a couple of years to add more muscle to his frame. Tuomisto has top-four upside, and he’s likely to get drafted in the second round this summer. Jokke Nevalainen

Reactions: Larkin2AA
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's interesting. Even though the fanbase is kind of down on this one, many of the pundits seem to really like this player (Pronman, TDA, etc). There's a lot more mentioning how good his offensive skills are/how high is offensive upside is than I'd have thought.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's interesting. Even though the fanbase is kind of down on this one, many of the pundits seem to really like this player (Pronman, TDA, etc). There's a lot more mentioning how good his offensive skills are/how high is offensive upside is than I'd have thought.

Pronman had him ranked 77th and gave him one of the lowest skating rankings of any prospect on his list.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era
Jul 30, 2005
Pronman had him ranked 77th and gave him one of the lowest skating rankings of any prospect on his list.
Did you read his write-up, though? I pasted it in this thread. And oddly enough if you read his overall take of the draft, he's complimentary of the Tuomisto pick, if not the exact spot.

Edit: especially read the one under that, the TDA one.

Anyway, go watch the Canada vs Finland game on this thread and make your own decision on his skating. I don't think it's bad.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Did you read his write-up, though? I pasted it in this thread.

Edit: especially read the one under that, the TDA one.

After the players belong to a team they usually come back and more complimentary. But I still don’t find it particularly glowing like you do.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Corey Pronman said:
His stride is OK; it can look clunky at times, particularly on his first few steps, but when he gets going in a straight line he has OK speed. He’s not one to push the tempo, though, and he doesn’t show much pace in his game.

Doesn't sound too bad. These big guys don't necessarily need to be speedsters either since they can make up for a lot with reach.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Speaking of, I was hoping aloud that someone would paste from a certain expensive, well-respected draft book...

But I suppose that's a rather black sentiment.

I don’t really think that’s kosher, dude.

But I purchased it this year, and they feel very similar to Pronman on him, may have even ranked him worse actually. I will give you a summarization of it when I come home from this trip.

Jul 30, 2005
I don’t really think that’s kosher, dude.
In the past that kind of thing has been tolerated on HF as long as it's limited to a single player/not exhaustive of what that team's fans would hope to read if they bought the book. So obviously it's not okay to post every Wings prospect, because then Wings fans wouldn't want to buy it.

I've also noticed admins don't seem to mind as much as long as you link to the original product so that interested readers can pick up a copy. It's more a preview and good advertising than stealing content.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The one I'm really curious about is Seider, because they LOVE Seider... maybe more than anyone else.

I know they had Seider at #10, which was highest of anyone I can remember.

What’s cool is they provide a ranking, then give a score in different categories, then provide comments from their scouts AND NHL scouts.

From what I remember the quotes from NHL scouts were definitely more positive on Seider than Broberg... but there was a wider range of opinions with Broberg.

Last edited:

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He was actually a decent player before his hip injury. Several players mentioned he had the hardest punch. REally miss the days when he would actually stand up for his teammates.

If a #35 [ick becomes a decent second pair D, that's a win. Ericsson was the last player drafted in 2002 back when they had 9 rouds, so in that perspective he was a good pick as well.

WingsDynasty20s

Feb 25, 2019
Read that he stayed in the Amateur leagues so he can play in NCAA next year. Any word on what college he is going to play for? Or if that is true?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where? During the interview, Hakan said it was Wright who had a crush on him.

Think you are confusing players. Hakan said Wright had a crush on Albin Grewe, if I recall. It was confusing because the interviewer was asking about Albert Johansson, but Hakan was talking about Albin until he realized the mix-up.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I don’t get the hate on him. His passing looks very good, his iq looks good, comfortable with the puck. I think he’s fast in a straight line but the rest of his skating could use work, which is why there seems to be mixed opinions on it.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Why are people saying this guy is a bad skater? I've ready three scouting reports now and they all say he's a good skater. Why the disagreement?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Read that he stayed in the Amateur leagues so he can play in NCAA next year. Any word on what college he is going to play for? Or if that is true?
It’s true but he hasn’t committed to a school yet. Right now it looks like he will spend next season with Ässät U20 which I don’t think is the best option because he was already their #1 last year and played pretty much as much as he wanted. The USHL might be an option too as he was drafted by Waterloo.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
People sure have some strong opinions about the abilities of a guy that plays in Finland and doesn't have any highlight videos or shift-by-shift videos available online.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad