35th Overall Antti Tuomisto, Defence

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't know squat about this guy. but RHD is a hot commodity league-wide so having a plethora of RHD options is not a bad thing at all. If the scouts are high on him ill gladly defer to them on this pick.

Just reading a bit about him - he's big, has great skating given his size, and is a good puck mover. Looks like he needs to work a bit on the defensive game/IQ side of things. Seems like a guy who has the tools but needs to put it together. IMO I like this type of home-run swing in the later 2nd round and onward so it's a bit early for me, but if he develops getting a "Ristolainen" type player in the 2nd isn't bad imo

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not mocking you specifically, been lots of posts today about how every pick means something much more than simply the kid taken being what the Wings see as BPA.
I think looking outside the most scouted leagues in the world might be a smart plan.
It's still the biggest talent pool for hockey prospects so if anything it's still odd.

Also, in reference to your prior comment, the fact that they reached to fill a position of need with this pick and #6 OA instead of picking BPA actually shows confidence in Larkin and Veleno. Stevie passed on Cozens and Zegras.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pretty good for a 6'5 guy. Not so much quick, but definitely can get up to speed.
I'll never expect a big guy like him to be quick/agile. seems like people like his top-end speed though. If he has strong defensive IQ and positioning that could mitigate some of the agility weaknesses

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Definitely faster than Yonkman.

It is an acceleration and agility thing along with him skating upright a lot that reminds me of it.

I think he has gifts to work with. Is this the same board that has been hating on Dach's skating which is actually really good to superb for a big man? Just checking because he is an average skater though big. I know we will certainly work on that but sorry I am going to disagree with that being listed as a strength.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
His skating seems clunky but it looks like if he adds some leg muscle and works on technique he'll be perfectly fine in the NHL. What I watched in the video didn't seem concerning. Is he projected to be a bottom paring shut down dman?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think this guy is actually the player a lot of posters mistook Seider for. Big, good speed but a little heavy-footed, big shot, not the most offensive upside.

Thankfully for us, Seider is a lot more skilled. But that still means we drafted a slightly underwhelming defenseman, regardless of which exact guy that is.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Jonathan Ericsson
He was actually a decent player before his hip injury. Several players mentioned he had the hardest punch. REally miss the days when he would actually stand up for his teammates.

If a #35 [ick becomes a decent second pair D, that's a win. Ericsson was the last player drafted in 2002 back when they had 9 rouds, so in that perspective he was a good pick as well.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He was actually a decent player before his hip injury. Several players mentioned he had the hardest punch. REally miss the days when he would actually stand up for his teammates.

If a #35 [ick becomes a decent second pair D, that's a win. Ericsson was the last player drafted in 2002 back when they had 9 rouds, so in that perspective he was a good pick as well.

yeah im actually a bigger fan of ericsson than most. hes got some surprising top end speed too. I think its a decent comparable.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Hockey sense was said as his strength.

And he is 6'4.5 already.
Can you tell us anything about his 63 PIM in 19 GP with Finland U18? I don't want you to think I dislike this pick, but that's about 3.32 (3 minutes and 19 seconds) of PIM per game. Small sample, admittedly, but what's the story behind that? Is he really physical?

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I actually really like him as a prospect, though I am not sure I would have the nuts to take him at 35. I was thinking more along the lines of 60th or 66th though. I know some USHL and NCAA guys who have been trying to get him over. Word is that he is very green but pretty smart and savvy with some offensive instincts.

Skating is not a strength, but is not brutal from a technical perspective. He skates like a lot of physically immature big guys his age. He kind of reminds me of Scott Mayfield at the same age. He absolutely needs to get stronger and more explosive but isn't exactly an ankle bender.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I had a feeling this was a Wright pick and after watching this interview it seems like I was right.

This pick was the biggest downer for me. I was very happy with the rest of the draft.

Jul 30, 2005
Antti Tuomisto, D (No. 35 overall): Tuomisto came on strong this season after not looking like much of a prospect last season and was one of the best defensemen in Finland’s junior circuit. Tuomisto can move the puck and be relied on at both ends. He kills plays with his stick and reads closing gaps. He’s physical and makes it tough for opposing forwards to get inside. With the puck, he shows decent creativity and can execute passes through tight seams. I wouldn’t call his puck game natural, though, as he’s not going to deke through anyone at the pro level. His skating/pace is the main concern. His stride is OK; it can look clunky at times, particularly on his first few steps, but when he gets going in a straight line he has OK speed. He’s not one to push the tempo, though, and he doesn’t show much pace in his game.

(Pronman)

Jul 30, 2005
A tall two-way defender who was on the top pairing for both Assat U20 and Finland’s under-18 squad, Tuomisto plays with a high compete level and looks to make impact plays in all three zones. He owns a booming shot that he uses mostly on the power play or as the high trailer off an odd-man rush. The more intense a game gets, the more physical Tuomisto plays, and he delivers authoritative one-armed shoves or wallops that can send smaller players flying off their skates. He is a stubborn battler in front of the net and along the wall, and he’ll release from the slot to deliver a big hit. On the penalty kill, Tuomisto is a competent crease clearer who violently uses his stick to deliver a message to a net front presence. He holds his ground at the line, keeps a tight gap and uses his stick in a timely manner.

Tuomisto is poised under pressure and uses a series of turns, pivots and cut-backs to avoid a harsing forechecker. He is a reliable puck handler, one who recalculates if he smells something fishy in coverage. Tuomisto is a sharp breakout passer but uses the standard stretch pass rather than float or saucer one over traffic. Using the same method, however, occasionally gets him into trouble when opponents telegraph his intentions. His wide-based skating style is a big hunched and awkward, but he’s quick to the outside and will take the puck into the offensive zone with a controlled confidence. Tuomisto’s posture inside opposing territory is very aggressive, as he drops down to keep plays alive, will involve himself in a cycle or weave, and sneak into the high slot for a hammer blow off the pass.

(The Draft Analyst, whose guide is only $5 and really a good deal. Support a fellow HFBoards-er. Buy here: The Draft Analyst | The 2019 NHL Draft Report)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad