35th Overall Antti Tuomisto, Defence

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Played a lot with Kivenmäki, so they've been watching him closely for 2 years.

I had him as a 3rd round target, but they clearly like him a lot. Big raw RHD project who likes to carry the puck and shoot. Good offensive tools, defense needs work. Apparently he'll play another year for Ässät U20 and then head to college. I would rather see him jump up in competition, so either go direct to college, head to the USHL or skip college and go to Liiga?

Antti Tuomisto | FinnProspects.com

I would assume that he'll have to have certain academic requirements met if he wants to play in college and he might have one year left of lukio (Finnish highschool for those not familiar) and he'll have to complete that before being eligible. Tolvanen had issues with those academic requirements and went to KHL instead.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sort of mean considering I hung out with the guy back in the day. He also had a knee issue early in his career. But a talented second round big man that just couldn't make adjustments to escape the AHL consistently.

I hear you. I just loved you were going back to a guy from the 1999 draft who played 70 NHL games.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think we all know my hockey addiction can be kind of a problem.

I joined a group of like minded people on the internet for support.:laugh:
Was gonna ask if you're a Caps fan. I remember he was constantly injured, but he couldn't stick on a Caps team with an AHL D roster (Muir, Majewsky, Biron, Eminger & Clymer) plus a 19 YO Mike Green. Green wound up full time the next season...

(God that D lineup is actually worse than Detroit's current D, lol)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Haken is the guy making these draft picks then I have faith. I'd prefer that TBH over only giving him picks in the 4th rounds or later. I know nothing about the kid, I just think Haken is our best talent evaluator and it's not really close.
Appears that Stevie agrees with you.

No picks from Canadian juniors which is mind boggling.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wonder what that says about Yzerman's view of those scouts. It may mean nothing or it could signal that changes will be made once the dust settles on this draft.
It shows a lack of confidence or trust in NA scouts, I am expecting changes at this point. Steve and Verbeek are both Canadians, it's not like they have a natural bias towards Euros.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It's quite different to have 6'0 Xavier Ouellet with his skating than 6'5 "Xavier Ouellet" with Ouellet's skating.

The big guy's reach saves so much if you aren't that great skater.
Don't care how good your reach is slow defenseman will be a liability especially down the road and don't age as well as the average defenseman. We're not talking chara wingspan here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
7 picks and not a single on from Canadian juniors. You think that's just a coincidence?

Mark this post buddy, I bet there will be changes to the NA scouting staff.

It just sucks that you have those rights only for 2 years.

Targetting College and Europe is 10 x better, when you have the rights for 4 years.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hilarious how much you people read into things.
We took a centerman. I think this shows Yzerman has no confidence in Larkin and is looking for an upgrade.

Looks like Yzerman took a bathroom break in the 4th round. Stomach problems? Should we be concerned?

Reactions: ealong59

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It just sucks that you have those rights only for 2 years.

Targetting College and Europe is 10 x better, when you have the rights for 4 years.
That's not true at all. More college and Euro players go unsigned than kids from juniors. Carolina barely managed to trade Fox before their rights expired. There's less incentive to quit college to play in the AHL or leave Europe to play in the AHL, whereas kids in juniors don't have much of a choice.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We took a centerman. I think this shows Yzerman has no confidence in Larkin and is looking for an upgrade.

Looks like Yzerman took a bathroom break in the 4th round. Stomach problems? Should we be concerned?
Mock me all you want, We'll revisit this later this summer when Stevie makes changes.

I've never seen a team not pick anyone from Canadian juniors.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mock me all you want, We'll revisit this later this summer when Stevie makes changes.

I've never seen a team not pick anyone from Canadian juniors.
Not mocking you specifically, been lots of posts today about how every pick means something much more than simply the kid taken being what the Wings see as BPA.
I think looking outside the most scouted leagues in the world might be a smart plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad