35th Overall Antti Tuomisto, Defence

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It would appear that there are changes coming to the scouting staff....

And? Still doesn't suggest that, because Yzerman had plans to change the scouting staff (which so far looks more like it's the pro scouting staff than the amateur group) that he avoiding using any and all input from Wright? You're going to need to find more evidence than that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And? Still doesn't suggest that, because Yzerman had plans to change the scouting staff (which so far looks more like it's the pro scouting staff than the amateur group) that he avoiding using any and all input from Wright? You're going to need to find more evidence than that.
Wright's gone and you need more evidence that changes are coming? Lol, whatever dude.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is it really so tricky?

- Tuomisto decided to go to College route.
- Can't go to USHL, because has to finish his Finnish Lukio ("high school") first, which has to be completed for the College.
- Can't play with pros at Liiga, because you lose your college eligibility.

Finnish U20 level seems to be the only option?

Reactions: ealong59

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wright's gone and you need more evidence that changes are coming? Lol, whatever dude.

I don't know what he's on about, because I think you called this. The draft revealed a lot about which scouts Yzerman favored and subsequently is replacing the ones he didn't.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know what he's on about, because I think you called this. The draft revealed a lot about which scouts Yzerman favored and subsequently is replacing the ones he didn't.
Yup.

Gone:
  • Tyler Wright, director of amateur scouting
  • Jeff Finley, chief amateur scout
  • Andrew Dickson, amateur scout
  • Glenn Merkosky, pro scout (retired)
  • Archie Henderson, pro scout

Nah, I don't see changes, lol.

Reactions: Mlotek

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yup.

Gone:
  • Tyler Wright, director of amateur scouting
  • Jeff Finley, chief amateur scout
  • Andrew Dickson, amateur scout
  • Glenn Merkosky, pro scout (retired)
  • Archie Henderson, pro scout

Nah, I don't see changes, lol.

I'm going to need more evidence. Perhaps a written statement from Yzerman that has been video recorded and signed off by a notary. Until then, I remain unconvinced.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Scouting reports are all over the place for this guy. I've read some that say hes an offensive dman, some say he skates really well, others that knock his skating and others that say hes more a mean, stay at home type with a good first pass.

Seems like a guy who I'll have to watch a bit before even having a half decent read on him. Scouting report does somewhat remind me of McIsaac's as far as style goes.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Scouting reports are all over the place for this guy. I've read some that say hes an offensive dman, some say he skates really well, others that knock his skating and others that say hes more a mean, stay at home type with a good first pass.

Seems like a guy who I'll have to watch a bit before even having a half decent read on him. Scouting report does somewhat remind me of McIsaac's as far as style goes.
for sure he isn't good skater , not a big thing at this moment

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Erilainen polku huipulle! Suomalainen NHL-lupaus kieltäytyi Liiga-tarjouksista: "Ei helppo päätös" | Leijonat

Different path on the top - Finnish NHL prospect refused to sign at Liiga

Detroit Red Wings' Finnish prospect Antti Tuomisto will be seen in the coming season in Finland. However, he does not play in the Finnish Top League.

A young defenceman confirmed to Leijonat.com that he would move to the NCAA University Series for the season 2020-21. As a result, the prospect will still be playing in the Junior League for the upcoming season. There are strict college hockey rules in the background: You cannot play in the series if there's any professional matches under the belt.

Tuomisto would already have enough skills for the men's League. The decision to refuse professional deals is never easy.

- It wasn't really an easy decision. That has already been in the mind. I thought it was the best option for me.
There's good North American hockey. And the school comes as a plus, Tuomisto says.

You can smell from the responses that the choice has been carefully considered. The big thing on the university path is education that helps after a hockey career.

- But there is still a lot of life left after the playing career. That's an important thing. It's good to have
something to think about for that time as well.

Few 18-year-olds think this far and in a mature way. Tuomisto admits that there was an opportunity to play League with Porin Ässät which did attract him.

- It made it a difficult decision - of course it would have been nice to play in the adult series. But I saw that there was no emergency for that yet. This is the right solution for me.

Hints and tips from Detroit

Tuomisto's summer has already been busy and full of events. Defenceman prospect was called to Detroit in the second round. Juggernaut defenceman admits that the early draft round surprised.

Tuomisto watched the draft show at home through a TV stand. At some point, his name and the Detroit Red Wings appeared on the screen.

- I was home with my family. When the name was shouted, nothing even really spun in my mind. It was a great moment and getting drafted is another step closer to the NHL.

The Finn also had time to visit the NHL club's developmental camp. Getting to know the Detroit organization was informative.

- Really great experience. Did saw a bit how things go in North America. I learned a lot at camp - it was great to get involved.

- I got quite a few skating tips. And with physics training came some instructions - it's a big deal for development. That's where I got good advice.

Red Wings management has described that you're a big guy who plays rough and physically - do you think they will be your strengths in the future?

- This tall guy needs more mass and strength. Heh, but that's a pretty good description, Tuomisto grins.

---------------------------

Translated this mostly with google translate. Could be something weird still there. :)

Last edited:

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
It looks like he will play with Waterloo of the USHL this year. He’s leaving the U20 circuit in Finland. Which is good IMO.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
It looks like he will play with Waterloo of the USHL this year. He’s leaving the U20 circuit in Finland. Which is good IMO.
Can't find anything to confirm this other than Eliteprospects but they don't have a source listed? Weird, especially since he already started his season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad