Post-Game Talk: #34 | FLYERS (A) vs. Sabres (H) | Monday, Mar. 29, 2021 | Flyers win 4-3 OT

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
AV isnt getting fired this season. Fletcher made it clear hes not putting too much stock into it. If they really bomb out maybeee im the offseason with pressure from scott...but his job is secure unless they are underachieving into next season. If firing him was on the table, hed be gone by now.

Laczynski should be in next game. Need a spark.

Keep G and Coots together next game.

A shutout loss to Sabres tonight would of been a test for No action Chuck.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
How I feel as a Sabres fan.

e823f869841c10d01cc73430d71ed31e.gif

Good grit to stick it out for all three periods, because after two, I didn't see you guys winning it.

No fan deserves this level of awfulness. Feel for you guys.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
hey guys!!! before i sign off, i just want to remind everyone of AV's brilliance when it matters most! Nate Thompson averaging more ice time than most of the top 6 in the playoffs. If we make it this year or next year, be prepared for another benching of farabee/patrick/frost/lindblom/myers/york/zamula!!! Sorry to ruin your night again HAHAHAHAH

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I said multiple times in the GDT, after originally saying Morin was the D & Lindblom the W at fault for the “5 man” goal, that I apologize to Oskar because Voracek was clearly the W at fault.

Even though Lindblom is technically the LW on that line, he was the first forward on the boards directly in the puck battle, & Patrick at C was supporting.

The replay clearly shows Voracek cherry picking at the blue line against the boards on the same side of the puck.

1. You are coached to stay below the puck. Voracek was about 10 feet above it, playing no defense.

2. Voracek, seeing Lindblom on the puck on the right side, needs to rotate into Oskar’s LW position, & drop below the puck & into the slot, where he would’ve been able to pick up the Finn who scored (not spelling it).

3. Morin also was at fault for getting caught on the wrong side of the ice, & eventually he & Ghost ended up covering the same player.

Anyway, Vigneault was exactly right in what he said about Voracek, & I said it in the GDT, twice, not after hearing the press conference.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Now Vigneault is getting bashed for changing the lines and shortening his bench to 3 lines, when the adjustments (which he’s frequently bashed for not making) led to a dominant 3rd period & a comeback from a 3-0 3rd period deficit.

LOL. It’s reached the point where people won’t give him credit for anything. No, people would rather Farabee play in the 3rd & the Flyers lose.

Similarly people are bashing him for not entering the locker room between the 2nd & 3rd. Well, they sure came out more motivated. So that psychological ploy is an example of poor coaching, or “not coaching”? GTFO. People are just looking for reasons to bash him for everything & give credit for nothing. This is not an uncommon coaching tactic. Sometimes players do get sick of being yelled at by the same voice, which surely happened both on the bench & in the 1st intermission, & the players need to step up & figure it out themselves.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
So he quit on the team and they coached themselves. Got it.
Something has been nagging at me about AV's methods, starting with his leadership comment from a few days ago and it finally hit me today after it was confirmed he didn't go to the locker room after the second period.

Some of his former Canucks players have mentioned this in interviews, though I have no idea of he operated the same way in Montreal or New York: in Vancouver, he deferred to the leadership group to rally as voices in the locker room and it worked extremely well for that group over a very long period of time so he continued to let it play out over multiple seasons.

I was irked when he threw shade at the "leaders" because he is one... but it makes sense to me now. What I don't know is whether this is his coaching style or if he thinks he has a similar situation here, but there is a pattern of letting the players control the room on game days.

This is not to absolve him of his responsibilities or decision making, but just to highlight that his actions for past behaviour in an environment where he was successful.

I have seen comments through his tenure here that he was carried by Hall of Fame goaltending in Vancouver and New York, but that's not true of his time in Vancouver. That was a good, deep team for many years. It looks like he thinks he can replicate that success in Philly using similar techniques and that may be more damning than anything because he ultimately fell short in Vancouver, so something needs to change.

I want him out, but I feel like I'll be saying the same thing in March 29, 2022.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What would you say you do here ?

I deal with the god damn customers, I have people skills.

As a fellow businessman, I know that sometimes you need to bully people into buying your shit. For example, anyone who doesn't buy one of these is getting my foot in their ass. That's just me taking care of business.

m4LZjoP.png

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
As for Farabee in the 3rd, he simply drew the short end of the stick.

AV was going to shorten his bench. Patrick & Lindblom simply were doing nothing & have been poor all season — they weren’t going to play.

AV was going to put his highest paid, highest clout players in charge of the rest of the game.

That means 1) Reuniting Giroux-Couturier-Voracek; and 2) making the second line the next highest paid vets, JVR-Hayes-Konecny.

Those are the six forwards this team is relying on most to produce; they are by far the six highest paid forwards. So, hey, earn your money.

For the 3rd line, obviously you aren’t playing Patrick, so your only option at 3C is Laughton; and he apparently is one of the only vocal leaders on the team, so Laughton at 3C was a no-brainer.

3LW is obviously Raffl, who was one of the only guys who showed up in the first two periods & always gives a good effort.

So it boils down to 3rd line RW. And Vigneault liked the way the Raffl-Laughton-NAK line was playing & didn’t want to break it up. So he stayed with NAK.

It’s unfortunate for Farabee to be lumped with Patrick & Lindblom, but that’s the way the cards fell.

For the foreseeable future, I would expect the lines will remain
Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
JVR-Hayes-TK
Raffl-Laughton-NAK
Lindblom-Patrick-Farabee

That fourth line will get its chances early in games. It’s even possible at some point they could play Farabee with Raffl & Laughton.

I don’t see anything to bitch & moan about.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Now Vigneault is getting bashed for changing the lines and shortening his bench to 3 lines, when the adjustments (which he’s frequently bashed for not making) led to a dominant 3rd period & a comeback from a 3-0 3rd period deficit.

LOL. It’s reached the point where people won’t give him credit for anything. No, people would rather Farabee play in the 3rd & the Flyers lose.

Similarly people are bashing him for not entering the locker room between the 2nd & 3rd. Well, they sure came out more motivated. So that psychological ploy is an example of poor coaching, or “not coaching”? GTFO. People are just looking for reasons to bash him for everything & give credit for nothing. This is not an uncommon coaching tactic. Sometimes players do get sick of being yelled at by the same voice, which surely happened both on the bench & in the 1st intermission, & the players need to step up & figure it out themselves.
I'm an idiot and didn't watch the 3rd/OT after torturing myself through the first 40. Did Farabee/Lindblom/Patrick get any time at all in the 3rd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad