Post-Game Talk: #34 | FLYERS (A) vs. Sabres (H) | Monday, Mar. 29, 2021 | Flyers win 4-3 OT

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
View attachment 414749

it’s hard to be this wrong constantly but this guy does it with aplomb.

The coach literally walked away from his team and said figure it out. They did. Coach gets credit.

I understand the psyche of putting on the players, but thats a f***ing hail Mary play. Thst isn't good coaching, that's "I'm out of ideas that work so who has one?".

If this is what it takes to win, let's just get him out of the way now and put it on the players full time.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last night was the worst possible scenario - they played like absolute horseshit and still won. This team is more than 1 player away and I fear the future will be gutted in the next couple of weeks....

I thought it was simply an "uneven" game.

Over whole game they were arguably the better team.

The first 30 minutes were poor... but still, they should have been 1 goal down and not 3. Then in final 30 they dominated.

Won the:

Shot, corsi, ExGF, high danger chance and scoring chance battle.

ofc would expect them to have a better first 30 vs such a team still.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
How shitty is it to be a Buffalo fan. I mean my god this team is toying with them at this point. I actually feel bad.
I don't. Remember, this is the same fan base that cheered for losses the season they got the Eichel pick. They got what they deserve.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Laughton was captain in Oshawa in the OHL, and captained Canada's WJC team even though he played a 4th line role. He was known for leadership qualities in his junior career, and now that he is a veteran NHLer it doesn't surprise me that he'd be one to step up into a leadership role.
So maybe he is to blame for our bad months. The New superior leader?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
View attachment 414749

it’s hard to be this wrong constantly but this guy does it with aplomb.

Lol.

They tried to solve the problem of eternal rushes against catching the team flatfooted by keeping a forward high in the offensive zone. I guess it's nice that they finally noticed that problem, but they failed to actually address the cause which is in transition.

So the problem still existed and all they succeeded in doing was pushing offense to Hakstolian orbit.

Apparently that's good coaching though.

Reactions: Adtar02

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
That's probably where the Mike Richards comparisons came from.

If he signs a new contract, I can see him wear an A at some point.
Give him 4,5 for 6 years and the c and he will carry us to the promised land with leadership. Trade Giroux and sign Thomson and grant.

Hayes Laugthon Thomson would be the best Center and leadership group in the League. AV with the coaching. Nothing will go wrong

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
hey guys!!! before i sign off, i just want to remind everyone of AV's brilliance when it matters most! Nate Thompson averaging more ice time than most of the top 6 in the playoffs. If we make it this year or next year, be prepared for another benching of farabee/patrick/frost/lindblom/myers/york/zamula!!! Sorry to ruin your night again HAHAHAHAH

Thompson was 12th in TOI/GP and ES TOI/GP in the playoffs. The regular top 6 averaged between 13:40 and 14:45 at ES, and Thompson averaged 11:13.

Why lie about something that is so easily fact checked?

Reactions: deadhead

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The coach literally walked away from his team and said figure it out. They did. Coach gets credit.

I understand the psyche of putting on the players, but thats a f***ing hail Mary play. Thst isn't good coaching, that's "I'm out of ideas that work so who has one?".

If this is what it takes to win, let's just get him out of the way now and put it on the players full time.

It isn't "Berube publicly having Giroux coach during timeouts" levels, at least. I'll give it that.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That's probably where the Mike Richards comparisons came from.

If he signs a new contract, I can see him wear an A at some point.
I know the majority here are in the trade him, don't re-sign him camp.

Personally, I believe they plan to re-sign him and think more likely than not they will. I'm in favor of re-signing him, as long as he doesn't ask for an exorbitant salary.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I know the majority here are in the trade him, don't re-sign him camp.

Personally, I believe they plan to re-sign him and think more likely than not they will. I'm in favor of re-signing him, as long as he doesn't ask for an exorbitant salary.
I can understand both sides. On one hand, he's consistently improved on the ice and off the ice to the point where he can be considered a core player. On the other hand, we have enough depth now that losing him won't kill us.

Like you said, it all depends on what he's asking for.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Who’s smart idea was it to sign this coach to a 5 year deal? Teams would be better off (& save $) by churning through up-and-coming AHL coaches instead of throwing all of the $ at re-treads. This dude sipped Martini’s for year and decided to not adapt to the modern game so he can thrust his “throw the puck away at all costs” nonsense on us fans & the likely frustrated players. I’m tempted to tweet at the Flyers official twitter account with Jack Han’s latest article:

Improving the Condition of the Puck

Something along the lines of: “What you guys are doing isn’t working so why not give this a try?

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Who’s smart idea was it to sign this coach to a 5 year deal? Teams would be better off (& save $) by churning through up-and-coming AHL coaches instead of throwing all of the $ at re-treads. This dude sipped Martini’s for year and decided to not adapt to the modern game so he can thrust his “throw the puck away at all costs” nonsense on us fans & the likely frustrated players. I’m tempted to tweet at the Flyers official twitter account with Jack Han’s latest article:

Improving the Condition of the Puck

Something along the lines of: “What you guys are doing isn’t working so why not give this a try?
I've only read a few of that guy's articles but really interesting stuff. Don't see too much content like his out there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Tough to criticize that too much as I'm sure there's a decent amount of Flyers fans that are also Sixers fans.

It’s misguided anyway. This is the system the owners create. They want salary caps, contract restrictions, competitive balance rules, drafts, etc. to create a more profitable league. This is the consequences of that.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
The wingers have the D-men, so you're comparing apples and oranges, kinda like blaming the CB when the safety was supposed to provide deep help. Farabee blew his assignment, thing with AV is he'll make his point, then put the player back out there.

AV has to be frustrated with this team, I think Jones pointed out that they had stressed getting the puck on net and bodies on net pre-game, so what do we see for two periods, over passing, a reluctance to shoot and no one going to the net. If I'm playing the Flyers, I tell my defensemen to play the passing lanes and let them shoot - which is what we see. This has been going on for years, and I'm starting to think some players are coach resistant, either dumb or stubborn.

but hayes also blew his assignment as well. Its identical to the play that voracek kinda missed. Giroux is covering down low for hayes, so hayes should grab a winger. I know montour is technically farabee's assignment but either one of them could've grabbed a puck going down the middle. Both of them decided to skate outside instead of inside and they left him wide open. But ya lets blame the young player who is playing way better than hayes

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I’m guessing the posters here that approve benching Farabee for Raffl and NAK are the same group that love the Thompson and Grant trades.

You can’t defend your boy AV on this , it is beyond moronic. If you think his coaching was the catalyst for the comeback, you may need to seek help.

nope. No defending it. It worked out because the Sabres are horrible. It sounds like Buffalo panicked after the Hayes goal and went into do not lose mode which hardly ever works out.
I said it last night, that win changes nothing. This team stinks and it’s made worse by coaching decisions that are baffling to say the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad