Prospect Info: 33rd overall: Vancouver selects RW Kole Lind (Kelowna Rockets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I'm curious as to why a guy like Ratcliffe, who I saw ranked as highly as 13 on some sites, hasn't been taken yet... but I feel like he doesn't have the profile of what Benning et. al will be looking for at 33.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Kole Lind
Jesper Boqvist
Jason Robertson
JAD

Any of those would be an awesome way to start the day!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm curious as to why a guy like Ratcliffe, who I saw ranked as highly as 13 on some sites, hasn't been taken yet... but I feel like he doesn't have the profile of what Benning et. al will be looking for at 33.

Take this for what it's worth Vancouver had him ranked very very low at mid terms.

I am hoping we pick up offensive dman p o Jospeh.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Jason Robertson would be good as would JAD. There are some players here, hopefully Benning doesn't blow it

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
My BPA is Hague. Option 2 is Lind. Open to Boqvist, Ikonen, Timmins, Robertson.

Hague is a better player than Logan Stanley, really strange how one is a mid 1st rounder and Hague is left waiting. Hague has offense that Stanley would dream about. :dunno: He is a knock kneed skater. Thats the main knock. Though Stanley doesn't move that well either.

From Timra too. Did he play on a line with Pettersson and Dahlen? 6 points in 16 SHL games is pretty good for a guy that young, most player that age don't get much ice time in the SHL.

Would prefer Hague but Boqvist looks intriguing. Would drive the anti-soft Swede all tuffness crowd nuts :laugh:
Because the SHL is allowed to dress 20 players, it screws over a lot of junior players stats because they could play 2 shifts and that counts as a game for them. Like Boqvist, if you go through his gamelog, 5 of the 16 regular season games, he plays less than 2 minutes and in one he was dressed but didn't play a shift, but it counted against him. 6 points in 11 games is a much different stat that 6 in 16. So i like to go through the game logs to recalculate.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lol said the same thing in another thread. How's his skating?

Nic Hague?

I'd say his skating projects as potentially better than Tryamkin's. But then, i don't think Tryamkin's skating was anywhere near as phenomenal as it was often touted to be around here. :dunno:

Hague seems like a guy who is still really growing into himself in a lot of respects. The skating is quite good for a guy with that sort of frame. But it's also a bit tangled up at times, like a guy with too much limbs. Particularly when he's forced to react at speed to unpredictable situations. Sometimes seems to end up moving in too many directions at once.

I'm not really sure what he is as a defenceman either though. Shades of Jamie Oleksiak to him for me. Sort of an offensive defenceman trapped in a steady defensive defenceman's body at times. But there's a lot of upside there if he does grow into things and figure out exactly what he is, and retains some of that offensive element...with a bit more restraint and a steadier defensive game.

He's an underrated trigger man from the point too. He's got a few different shots he uses really effectively. He's not a PPQB, but he could be a real asset on a powerplay like Edler/Garrison or more aptly, Salo once upon a time.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Nic Hague?

I'd say his skating projects as potentially better than Tryamkin's. But then, i don't think Tryamkin's skating was anywhere near as phenomenal as it was often touted to be around here. :dunno:

Hague seems like a guy who is still really growing into himself in a lot of respects. The skating is quite good for a guy with that sort of frame. But it's also a bit tangled up at times, like a guy with too much limbs. Particularly when he's forced to react at speed to unpredictable situations. Sometimes seems to end up moving in too many directions at once.

I'm not really sure what he is as a defenceman either though. Shades of Jamie Oleksiak to him for me. Sort of an offensive defenceman trapped in a steady defensive defenceman's body at times. But there's a lot of upside there if he does grow into things and figure out exactly what he is, and retains some of that offensive element...with a bit more restraint and a steadier defensive game.

He's an underrated trigger man from the point too. He's got a few different shots he uses really effectively. He's not a PPQB, but he could be a real asset on a powerplay like Edler/Garrison or more aptly, Salo once upon a time.

I actually really like him as a potential partner for Juolevi. Excellent size, good all-around skillset, can think the game well enough, and that wicked point shot is something we lack in our defensive cupboard outside Subban.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Ratcliffe is like the most tallest of mystery boxes.

Hague is a better player than Logan Stanley, really strange how one is a mid 1st rounder and Hague is left waiting. Hague has offense that Stanley would dream about. :dunno: He is a knock kneed skater. Thats the main knock. Though Stanley doesn't move that well either.

Yeah. It's weird to me as well. I think Hague is pretty solidly a better prospect with more upside than Stanley. Heck, side by side at the U18s last year, i thought Hague looked better as a the underager. :dunno:

Stanley does have more of that prototypical big mean shutdown defender streak to him though, i guess. But the offensive upside is much much higher with Hague, even just as a PP triggerman, if nothing else. If he really figures out how to balance things, there's a lot more upside there.

At the same time though, that's the draft. It only takes one. Hague could've been 2nd on every team's list from 15 on or whatever...That still wouldn't get him picked. They don't give out crooked logo jerseys on stage for 2nd on a team's list. :D
Just weird to see that sort of size in a defenceman who gets around the ice pretty darn reasonably well (which teams often go gaga over eg. Logan Stanley) as a bit of a "slider".

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Ratcliffe is like the most tallest of mystery boxes.

Yeah. It's weird to me as well. I think Hague is pretty solidly a better prospect with more upside than Stanley. Heck, side by side at the U18s last year, i thought Hague looked better as a the underager. :dunno:

Stanley does have more of that prototypical big mean shutdown defender streak to him though, i guess. But the offensive upside is much much higher with Hague, even just as a PP triggerman, if nothing else. If he really figures out how to balance things, there's a lot more upside there.

At the same time though, that's the draft. It only takes one. Hague could've been 2nd on every team's list from 15 on or whatever...That still wouldn't get him picked. They don't give out crooked logo jerseys on stage for 2nd on a team's list. :D
Just weird to see that sort of size in a defenceman who gets around the ice pretty darn reasonably well (which teams often go gaga over eg. Logan Stanley) as a bit of a "slider".

Especially considering a guy like Callan Foote, whom I consider a very comparable prospect outside of his bloodline, went in the top half of the first round.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Especially considering a guy like Callan Foote, whom I consider a very comparable prospect outside of his bloodline, went in the top half of the first round.

I see Callan Foote as a much "smarter" defenceman. A lot more situated in what he can do, and he does it well...but very little else. Doesn't have the same "adventures". But that seemed like a bit of an over-draft to me, for a guy with those sort of mobility limitations.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Ratcliffe is a guy I wouldn't take in the first 4 rounds. The sort of player who busts 19 times out of 20.

Man, and I thought I was down on him by having him ranked 48th lol. I definitely wouldn't touch him at 33.

Any thoughts on my shortlist?

- Aleski Heponiemi
- David Farrance
- Joni Ikonen
- Grant Mismash
- Jason Robertson

Feebster or Biturbo, feel free to chime in as well. :) I like what I've seen from all 5 of these guys and would be happy with any of them at 33, ecstatic if any of them are picked at 55 or 64.

I would be okay with Hague as well, who I have ranked 36th.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I see Callan Foote as a much "smarter" defenceman. A lot more situated in what he can do, and he does it well...but very little else. Doesn't have the same "adventures". But that seemed like a real over-draft to me, for a guy with those sort of mobility limitations.

Agreed. I had him ranked #20 and felt a bit uneasy about that even.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Because the SHL is allowed to dress 20 players, it screws over a lot of junior players stats because they could play 2 shifts and that counts as a game for them. Like Boqvist, if you go through his gamelog, 5 of the 16 regular season games, he plays less than 2 minutes and in one he was dressed but didn't play a shift, but it counted against him. 6 points in 11 games is a much different stat that 6 in 16. So i like to go through the game logs to recalculate.

I have no idea how Stanley was picked so early. Oh wait, he's 6'7''...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At 33 you're not drafting a prospect with few flaws. And the way the draft went, there aren't that many obvious 1st round talent who fell. Here are some thoughts.

Lipanov is my BPA in the 2nd round. He is Russian but he is going to play for the Colts in the OHL next season. Bonus points there. A higher skilled Chubarov? Without nationality bias he's my other preferred pick. He measured at just over 6'0" and 168lbs but he plays a solid physical game. Fully developed he's either going to be a top 6 C or a tough to play against 3rd line C (or KHL player of course). With nationality bias, my preferred pick is Ratcliffe

Ratcliffe. 6'6" who skates well for his size with good hands and shot. Seems to have excellent hand eye coordination, which means he might be effective in front of the net at the NHL level. Athletic showing finishing 2nd in VO2 max and pretty good in left agility test. Long jump as well. Legitimately has top 6 potential and at 6'6" with his skillset. Take a chance Benning. We can't have enough "scoring depth on wing."

Anderson-Dolan. I like him at 33. Seems like a player Benning would like. Doesn't have ideal size but has a great shot, is a leader, and "plays the game the right way." Even if he doesn't develop into a top 6 player (which he likely wouldn't) he can be a good 3C. This would be my preferred "safe pick."

Ikonen is a Finn and has played well in international play. He has speed and a deadly shot. Measured at 5'11 and might grow a bit more. I actually like Ikonen a bit more than Boqvist but that's more like a hunch. If the Canucks are looking for another fast, high skilled type with flashy offensive skills Ikonen is it.

Boqvist. The highest upside of the Swedish league forwards in a similar grouping. He is the same weight as Pettersson. :popcorn: Will his game translate to the NHL?

Marcus Davidsson seems like a traditional Swedish forward picked by the Canucks in the later rounds but I hope the Canucks go with more offensive upside if drafting a forward.

Robertson. If he was a better skater he's a 1st round talent in this draft. But not a huge fan.

Dipietro. Doesn't have ideal height, but neither does Jonathan Quick. Dipietro would be an excellent pick at 55th or 64th) but height aside he's a first round talent in this draft IMO.

Reedy. Wouldn't be a bad pick. But slow feet is hard to overcome.

Hague. No thanks at 33. Dman with skating issues and poor pivots are very unlikely to develop into top 4 Dmen in the NHL. At 55th or 64th ok. But if Benning wants a Dman who can retrieve the puck and transition the puck up ice, Hague isn't your guy.

Timmins. Like Hague he's not good at retrieving the puck and doesn't have good skating. I don't like him at 33.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Thing on Hague though is that if he improves his skating he would be the best d-man in the draft. Monster shot, huge wing-span, quite a good knack for pinching.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Hague, JAD, Boqvist or Lind for me. We will have at least two very good prospects (maybe even 3-4!) in our budding prospect pool after this draft and this makes me happy. Even if we have been rebuilding involuntarily...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Thing on Hague though is that if he improves his skating he would be the best d-man in the draft. Monster shot, huge wing-span, quite a good knack for pinching.

But he hasn't improved his skating compared to last year and it's not like he has quick feet or good mechanics. In today's NHL, I'm not sure if he's going to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad