33rd Overall Jonatan Berggren

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I get the feeling that Lalonde is more like Babs than Blash was. Babs would rather play Abby than Tats/Nyquist, and it appears Elmer has gained favor with Lalonde.

Blash took a liking to Cholo and he was 10 ply. Babs hated soft D.

Yeah, Babcock tried to win. Blashill was tanking.

For sure Lalonde is again more like Babcock.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I get the feeling that Lalonde is more like Babs than Blash was. Babs would rather play Abby than Tats/Nyquist, and it appears Elmer has gained favor with Lalonde.

nobody likes soft D. Hard D is what the people want

Reactions: brakeyawself

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

I think that is a mighty reach my dude.

I think Berggren should be up, but I think the argument for Elmer is that because his size and play style he’s got more utility. That’s all.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think that is a mighty reach my dude.

I think Berggren should be up, but I think the argument for Elmer is that because his size and play style he’s got more utility. That’s all.
And that Zadina has "seniority" in the eyes of Yzerman. If Zadina gets injured or starts reverting back to "Blashill Zadina" you could see Berggren up pretty quick.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Elmer is staying. I knew there was no question beat out Berggren. Lets hope Soderbomb can sustain his stamina throughout the season.
Elmer for sure has plenty of stamina, he is Chara with no fighting

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
No. Not just no, but hell no. We do not want good players fighting. Period.
So you would rather have bad players on the team to do the fighting... guys like givani smith? who we just waived because he wasn't good enough at hockey...

I'd rather have guys who are good at hockey, are tough, and can throw down if necessary.

A guy who is 6'-8 and 250lbs should be able to keep some pests away when called for.

Reactions: newfy

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So you would rather have bad players on the team to do the fighting... guys like givani smith? who we just waived because he wasn't good enough at hockey...

I'd rather have guys who are good at hockey, are tough, and can throw down if necessary.

A guy who is 6'-8 and 250lbs should be able to keep some pests away when called for.
No, I want no one to do the fighting. I want the NHL to call their rule book and then throw the book at players when necessary.

I am solidly in favor of fights being automatic game misconducts. There should be far more suspensions handed out than are currently. None of this per diem level fine BS. You start hunting heads or knees and league discipline should start in the double-digit games. Not let it take 6-8 suspensions over years before you start handing out something meaningful. Actually punishing pests with games which hurts their wallets will keep them away. None of them are scared of someone dropping the gloves. All they have to do is cover up for an easy 5 minute PP.

• Haha
Reactions: newfy

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What if Lalonde IS Babcock wearing a mask?

I mean, have we ever seen them in the same room? I know I haven’t…

Babcock has much more defined facial features (chin, nose, forehead). Lalonde has more of a round Uncle Fester bowling ball of a head and face. I would be more inclined to believe it's Blashill with a mask. He was getting rounder and balder anyways.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

The power play will be the enforcer.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Most fights are just two dudes busting up their own knuckles on each other's helmet so I'd rather not have Elmer throwing punches with those silky hands.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks Berggren always start slow and get better and better towards the end.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But our 4th line is not a normal 4th line. It will be offensive combination.
4th line can be a checking line or energy line. If you run an energy line, ideally you want faster players that can also PK like Veleno. Not really sure Berggren fits into that scheme either.

It's gonna be even tougher for Berggren when Fabbri comes back. Would be nice to see what he can do at the NHL level though.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
The power play will be the enforcer.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 13to40

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
4th line can be a checking line or energy line. If you run an energy line, ideally you want faster players that can also PK like Veleno. Not really sure Berggren fits into that scheme either.

It's gonna be even tougher for Berggren when Fabbri comes back. Would be nice to see what he can do at the NHL level though.

A kid line isn't a bad idea. Look at NYR with Lafreniere, Chytil and Kakko. They were decent in the postseason.

A kid line of Elmer - Veleno - Berggren could be fun. And it sure as shit is more entertaining than watching Erne, Zadina and Suter. We can rely on Ras - Sundqvist for some grinding, though I'd like to see this team get another good grinder type to make a proper checking line.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
A kid line isn't a bad idea. Look at NYR with Lafreniere, Chytil and Kakko. They were decent in the postseason.

A kid line of Elmer - Veleno - Berggren could be fun. And it sure as shit is more entertaining than watching Erne, Zadina and Suter. We can rely on Ras - Sundqvist for some grinding, though I'd like to see this team get another good grinder type to make a proper checking line.
I keep telling you that Erne is gonna have a career year, but anything is better than watching Zadina do his one move and fail every game. Let's see if Blais and Lalonde fixed that this offseason, if not he can sit in the pressbox.

Elmer will be entertaining on his own I think, especially since he sticks out so much.

Berggren failed to impress Lalonde, and that's on him. He'll get his chance next year whether it's with the WIngs or not.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I keep telling you that Erne is gonna have a career year, but anything is better than watching Zadina do his one move and fail every game. Let's see if Blais and Lalonde fixed that this offseason, if not he can sit in the pressbox.

Elmer will be entertaining on his own I think, especially since he sticks out so much.

Berggren failed to impress Lalonde, and that's on him. He'll get his chance next year whether it's with the WIngs or not.

Kind of agree with everything. Same feelings.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Not a bad idea to give him PK

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Wings UFAs this year include:
Suter
Sundqvist
Erne
Plus, we're probably about done with Zadina.
Veleno will take Suter's job.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of Suter or Erne are resigned.
And then Berggren's gotta get in the top 9...
The other thing is, Kasper is coming.
Maybe he starts at wing, but I doubt it. And even if he does, that pushes Ras/Veleno to the wing. Or Copp, I guess.
Making the Wings isn't going to be easy for Berggren.
His best chance probably comes this year if the Wings fall out of the playoff race in time for a deadline sell-off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad