33rd Overall Jonatan Berggren

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Was there any response from the Griffins? Is Smith in the lineup?
Smith was playing tonight. He had other guys after him throughout the night. The two teams play again tomorrow and then 2 games in San Diego next month. I'm sure the AHL will get a look at that to see if it warrants a suspension or not. Will find out tomorrow.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I mean no, laying a big hit isn’t illegal just because it’s a big hit.

His feet were on the ground and his elbow was tucked down low against his body when he initiated contact

It was a 5 minute boarding major but you’re saying there was nothing wrong. That goon will be suspended tomorrow if there’s justice in the universe.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I don’t see anything illegal about that hit.

“Wrong” In the sense that you’re looking to hurt someone? Maybe, yeah, if you don’t like that in your hockey. But not illegal
Apart from the fact that he charged, left his feet and hit a guy nowhere near that puck, but near the boards. That hit has been illegal for well over a decade.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It was a 5 minute boarding major but you’re saying there was nothing wrong. That goon will be suspended tomorrow if there’s justice in the universe.
“Boarding”, when not in the back, is pretty much code for “you got blown up and we feel bad for you”. Hits that distance from the boards happen 10 times a game, most guys just don’t go flying because they’re professional hockey players.

It is closer to interference than I thought. At first I thought the puck was still on his stick watching that pixelated video

Reactions: 13to40

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Definitely. Call him up, and put him on IR. No need to do him dirty twice by having him collect AHL paychecks while he's out.

Unless that's already a thing.
LOL, wut? No NHL team ever calls up an injured AHL player. Insurance would never cover that.

You have some of the strangest takes I've ever read here.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Tough break for Berggren, hope he’s ok. Not sure I’d expect any supplementary discipline. Was definitely an illegal hit, but it may be decided the 5-minute penalty covered it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Could see him living his contract through, because we need him at the playoffs, on both seasons 2023 and 2024.
Have some "wait and see" patience.
I think, by the nature of his two-year deal, he's most likely here one way or the other, throughout this season.
Next year, if the Wings are still on the outside looking in - a very real possibility - that's when it's most likely that Perron would be traded.
Otherwise, he's likely going to leave via free agency or retirement.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Dangerous hit . but not intentionally so. You can tell by the way Healey goes right over top of him that Healey wasn't ready for how little resistance Berggren provvided.
Berggren was either off balance or totally and completely unprepared to take a hit - and he really shouldn't have been. That hit wasn't really that late.
It's another example of how it's more dangerous to get hit 5-7 feet away from the boards than it is to get hit right on the boards.
Hopefully Berggren is OK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad