Post-Game Talk: #33: Predators 1 at FLYERS 2, Thursday, Dec. 20, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Not offensive zone penalties :laugh:

Them getting pinned in off the PK looked like they were trying to bite off too much with stretch passes. Also the opposite of a shell.
You’re spinning.

Chasing the play from a shell instead of driving it leads to penalties.

Pretty sure at least three of the third period penalties at Calgary were in the offensive end.

There were three differences between the third last night and at Calgary:

1 goaltending
2 a goal post
3 Flyers PK and 5v6 was markedly more aggressive

If Hakstol was the coach last night you people would have been screaming about shell.

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hextall was, in many respects, a total moron. And this is coming from one of his biggest supporters when he was a player, and when he first came over to the front office.
I'm sure he was aware, after all he had Murphy spy on players for him, but as he eloquently put it in his presser Dave hakstol is very respected coach around the league and other teams would regularly call him just let him know as much.
:biglaugh:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I'm sure he was aware, after all he had Murphy spy on players for him, but as he eloquently put it in his presser Dave hakstol is very respected coach around the league and other teams would regularly call him just let him know as much.
:biglaugh:

In all honesty, which NHL coach wouldn't outwardly support a putrid coach like Hakstol, if it meant getting a few more W's each season/improved their own job security?

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Hextall was, in many respects, a total moron. And this is coming from one of his biggest supporters when he was a player, and when he first came over to the front office.
He beleived in his coach and maybe blind to it but a total moron is extreme . Got us out of cap hell , stocked the empty cupboards full of prospects and put us on the right path to future good times .One fault to many rights ain't a moron . Take a lap .

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
It’s the next day and I STILL can’t get over that sequence of missing the board on Couturier and then calling Raffl for a cheesy trip 2 mins later.

Just an abomination.

Absolutely. Also doesn't help that the perception (rightfully earned whether true or not) is that the refs began really f***ing the Flyers over after Provy's game misconduct.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Agreed. Strong Positioning leads to chest saves. Also goalies with phenomenal positioning like Price have long careers without being plagued by groin injuries. Look at Price VS Quick. Both spectacular goaltenders but Quick resorts to making athletic desperation saves and look where he is now.

Price isn't necessarily the go-to for goaltender health.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Provorov and TK have made it pretty obvious that the teams happier without him... and that’s just what was able to leak through the “good hockey boys never bash a teammate or coach” seal.

I would give a lung, a kidney, and a large part of my liver to be able to hear what they really think, like that Ottawa Uber video. Featuring Ghost, TK, Voracek, G, and Raffl.

And Provy isn't even one of the guys that who would regularly get punished by having ice time taken away; so just imagine how bad Hak must have been.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
nifty pic from reddit

1a58gup8fk521.jpg

Nice pic.

Here are a few more from last night. The photographer is Bruce Bennet.

1074476254_slide.jpg

1085107758_slide.jpg

1074482684_slide.jpg

1085116072_slide.jpg

1085116176_slide.jpg

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
I didn't even notice that at first. That is fantastic!

Coots and Johansen were going at it all night right from the first puck drop. I was really hoping they would drop the gloves. Still astonished that wasn't called.

Yeah it did look like they were. And a lot of stuff between them wasn't called (there were some cross checks and slashes by both of them)...and rightfully so. But that boarding non-call was just a travesty.

Of course, according to some on the main boards, Couts shouldn't have shown Johansen his numbers....regardless of the fact Couts was trying to play the puck around behind him, Johansen hit him square and Couts head bounced off the boards/glass (textbook boarding)......God why do I visit the main boards:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Orange and Black

Dec 13, 2006
Philadelphia
Deadhead is going to want TK traded now. Damnit
Well, we have all been well educated on the truth of the matter -time and time and time and time and time and time again...
The Flyers had the worst roster of players for the last 3 + years.
Making the playoffs was a monumental achievement (perhaps like none we've ever seen).
Given this unbelievable feat (repeated feat, mind you), there is great consideration being given to changing the name of The Jack Adams Award.
All of the Flyers success was directly attributed to the strategic mastermind that was Dave Hakstol. The players had very little to do with this achievement - in particular, Claude Giroux, Travis Konecny, Jake Voracek, and Sean Couturier.
His handling of the young talent was skillful and deliberate. Had he played Travis Sanheim more, we would not appropriately appreciate him now that Hak is gone - even though, we all know Sanheim is overrated.
Any failings that occurred were 100% contributed to the players, poor roster, and the assistants were forced upon Hak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad