32nd AHL franchise

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
New AHL franchise won't start play until the same times as the NHL parent team, in fall 2021.

12 of the 31 teams are not owned by their parent. So they are **potential** affiliate partners with Seattle, IF they don't want to own their own franchise (and let some other NHL team then get 32nd AHL team).

HOWEVER, my guess is that Seattle will want to own their AHL affiliate. (I don't recall either way if Seattle ownership has ever expressed an opinion on that.) More control over development.

The AHL may be more concerned over the AHL-PHPA CBA that expires 8/31/2019 today than the 32nd team (which won't start play until fall 2021).

I still think Seattle's best economic option is to nudge the Silvertips out of Everett. I don't think both WHL teams can survive the arrival of the NHL (evidence: the PDL teams that existed around Seattle before the Sounders went to MLS are now all gone except the Sounders U23 playing at some HS... and S2 plays in Tacoma now). That certainly happens in conjunction (if it happens) with the Canucks moving their affiliate west to, oh, maybe Abbotsford, maybe the long-rumored Surrey arena, maybe Langley, maybe any number of other options.
If this goes a different direction...
- Boise is sitting there with an uncertain ECHL future, thing being so is Utah. Problem: Boise won't accede to how Seattle will probably want to control things. If Seattle doesn't care so much, that may be a thing to watch.
- So, Portland now pops up. Main reason: the State of Oregon won't exempt the Winterhawks from minimum wage laws.

Stay tuned.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Well... how about a BAD idea? From someone covering the NHL Seattle effort...

Doug Mellon‏ @DougieMellon 2h2 hours ago

Sounds as though the AHL affiliation will not be in Idaho- potentially California. Nothing official but we should know more following the AHL board meeting this January. #NHLseattle

I've mentioned here my strong belief that all the good California AHL markets (at least ones with arenas) are taken. Shrug.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Well... how about a BAD idea? From someone covering the NHL Seattle effort...

Doug Mellon‏ @DougieMellon 2h2 hours ago

Sounds as though the AHL affiliation will not be in Idaho- potentially California. Nothing official but we should know more following the AHL board meeting this January. #NHLseattle

I've mentioned here my strong belief that all the good California AHL markets (at least ones with arenas) are taken. Shrug.
A cluster of teams in California makes sense for travel reasons. If true I wonder what Vancouver's next step will be. Go it alone in the Pacific NW or try to scoop a California city before Seattle can.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
A cluster of teams in California makes sense for travel reasons. If true I wonder what Vancouver's next step will be. Go it alone in the Pacific NW or try to scoop a California city before Seattle can.
I agree. The other NHL teams with affiliates in California were prioritizing that their prospects spend more time practicing and playing and less time traveling, in addition to being close to the NHL city for easy callups. That's why they play a shorter schedule too. I'm sure they would be happier with a team in Fresno than a team in Boise or Tacoma. If they convinced Seattle ownership of those advantages it wouldn't be surprising to see another California team. Boise doesn't have any advantage over a California city from their perspective, and it increases travel days for the entire division. If it isn't within driving distance of Seattle, California is probably the second choice. Tacoma is at least near enough that there is a callup advantage, but even there both the NHL team and AHL team are on the road for half their games, so at least half of the callups would still involve air travel.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I agree. The other NHL teams with affiliates in California were prioritizing that their prospects spend more time practicing and playing and less time traveling, in addition to being close to the NHL city for easy callups. That's why they play a shorter schedule too. I'm sure they would be happier with a team in Fresno than a team in Boise or Tacoma. If they convinced Seattle ownership of those advantages it wouldn't be surprising to see another California team. Boise doesn't have any advantage over a California city from their perspective, and it increases travel days for the entire division. If it isn't within driving distance of Seattle, California is probably the second choice. Tacoma is at least near enough that there is a callup advantage, but even there both the NHL team and AHL team are on the road for half their games, so at least half of the callups would still involve air travel.
incorrect..... Pacific was decreed to have 68, by agreement, with the league, this has been on the burner since 2006, it wasn't known that LA AND SJ were in favor of it, it's become moot, since, because LA no longer owns both affiliates

Fresno collapsed, royals, and why hasn't SVSE picked a permanent location for the Barracuda since 2015/16, couldn't they have picked a CA location..... other than SAP..... Tacoma, is not a solution, either.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
incorrect..... Pacific was decreed to have 68, by agreement, with the league, this has been on the burner since 2006, it wasn't known that LA AND SJ were in favor of it, it's become moot, since, because LA no longer owns both affiliates

Fresno collapsed, royals, and why hasn't SVSE picked a permanent location for the Barracuda since 2015/16, couldn't they have picked a CA location..... other than SAP..... Tacoma, is not a solution, either.
Then why, forget... ThOUGH around but Beyond. except accept expect POTATO!!!!

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Because the Sharks wanted the Barracuda play their games under their own roof just like Winnipeg wanted the Moose to play their games under their own roof.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Strangely enough this makes perfect sense...
giphy.gif

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
uh, and the plan was for the Barracuda to be separate.....

Uh no, there was no plan for the Sharks and their AHL affiliate to be separate. Read the highlighted part of the article below. No mention of it below.
Sharks Moving AHL Franchise to SAP Center

by Staff Writer / San Jose Sharks
January 29th, 2015
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Link Share
  • Email Share
SAN JOSE – San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) Chief Operating Officer John Tortora announced today that the San Jose Sharks top development American Hockey League (AHL) hockey club, currently based in Worcester, Mass., will relocate to San Jose and play their home games at SAP Center at San Jose, beginning in Oct. 2015.
The move is part of a larger announcement made today by the AHL regarding the creation of a new, Pacific Division of the AHL for the 2015-16 season, comprised of five National Hockey League-affiliated teams that will be based in California.
The Pacific Division will consist of teams based in Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers), Ontario (Los Angeles Kings), San Diego (Anaheim Ducks), San Jose (San Jose Sharks) and Stockton (Calgary Flames).
The name, logo, colors and schedule for the San Jose AHL team will be released at a later date.
“This is an exciting day for the San Jose Sharks organization and for hockey fans throughout the state of California,” said Tortora. “Having our AHL club playing in close proximity to our NHL club has innumerable benefits for the development for our young players and prospects. It also provides an opportunity for the Sharks organization to grow Sharks Territory and enhance our footprint into what is an already hockey-crazy market.”

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Uh no, there was no plan for the Sharks and their AHL affiliate to be separate. Read the highlighted part of the article below. No mention of it below.
Sharks Moving AHL Franchise to SAP Center

by Staff Writer / San Jose Sharks
January 29th, 2015
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Link Share
  • Email Share
SAN JOSE – San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) Chief Operating Officer John Tortora announced today that the San Jose Sharks top development American Hockey League (AHL) hockey club, currently based in Worcester, Mass., will relocate to San Jose and play their home games at SAP Center at San Jose, beginning in Oct. 2015.
The move is part of a larger announcement made today by the AHL regarding the creation of a new, Pacific Division of the AHL for the 2015-16 season, comprised of five National Hockey League-affiliated teams that will be based in California.
The Pacific Division will consist of teams based in Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers), Ontario (Los Angeles Kings), San Diego (Anaheim Ducks), San Jose (San Jose Sharks) and Stockton (Calgary Flames).
The name, logo, colors and schedule for the San Jose AHL team will be released at a later date.
“This is an exciting day for the San Jose Sharks organization and for hockey fans throughout the state of California,” said Tortora. “Having our AHL club playing in close proximity to our NHL club has innumerable benefits for the development for our young players and prospects. It also provides an opportunity for the Sharks organization to grow Sharks Territory and enhance our footprint into what is an already hockey-crazy market.”
uh, totally disagree

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Fresno is my guess. WCHL Fresno had a good run prior to merger with ECHL. There are Selland and CSU Fresno arenas. 3 hour drive to SJC; or the other direction to LAX (or regional airport for connection).

As for San Jose Barracuda, (SJS owner) Plattner likes having the two teams in SJ. And as long as Plattner's willing to pay the freight, they'll stay in SJ. A brand new (adjacent) facility was built for the Cuda at the practice facility; it would have to be rebuilt at any new location.

They've been doing a lot of promotions (bobbleheads, themed games) for the Cuda and sometimes it works with bringing more folks in. They've also been offering SJS STH free tickets to many games as well.

Sharks brass attend every game (and the coaching staff when they're in town). They're able to keep a close eye on the development.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I don't get it. There's so many locations in California that could host teams. Why are the Sharks just content with San Jose? Why are they content with bottom 5 attendance figures in the league? Plenty of large locations like SF, Oakland, Sacramento to spread their brand.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Here's the thing with Fresno (SPOILER: my wife grew up there). Fresno Falcons leave Selland Arena to try to co-exist with Fresno State at Save Mart Center. Save Mart... 16,000 seats for basketball, 14,000 for hockey and you won't get prime dates, hence it's too large. What happens predictably happens. Baseball team takes over the Falcons, moves them back to Selland (complete with supposed arena improvements, which probably didn't loosen up a cramped building... Selland is older and part of what passes for a convention center complex downtown, which is not a fancied downtown), and the Falcons folded midway through that season.

Things probably will have changed in 10 years, but there's not that much money flowing through town. Plus Fresno State has resurgent sports programs. I don't think this ends well.

As for San Jose, from last April, expansion plans for their practice facility complex include a 4,500-seat arena. Sharks Ice skating complex in San Jose may double its size

If Seattle is really going to California, would they actually build something?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Fresno went junior as well a lot like the the failed USACHL experiment, and all those Texas components and Shreveport's Mudbugs, so there's that competition

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Fresno went junior as well a lot like the the failed USACHL experiment, and all those Texas components and Shreveport's Mudbugs, so there's that competition

Trying to name-drop the CHL BS with the Monsters is disingenuous in the least.

It's notable that they're playing most of their games at Selland this year (too big for their level IMO). Thing is, no home games after February 1 (and that's at Gateway).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Trying to name-drop the CHL BS with the Monsters is disingenuous in the least.

It's notable that they're playing most of their games at Selland this year (too big for their level IMO). Thing is, no home games after February 1 (and that's at Gateway).
so, not buying Fresno as a home base

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad