32nd AHL franchise

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't get it. There's so many locations in California that could host teams. Why are the Sharks just content with San Jose? Why are they content with bottom 5 attendance figures in the league? Plenty of large locations like SF, Oakland, Sacramento to spread their brand.

Because when you're the owner worth more than $6,000,000,000 and you want to subsidize your minor league team, you do.

Reactions: JMCx4

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Because when you're the owner worth more than $6,000,000,000 and you want to subsidize your minor league team, you do.

Plus the Sharks organization has decided there is value in having their AHL team so close. Provided the financial losses by the Barracuda are less than whatever the value is the Sharks have determined, they won't even think about moving them.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa

Plus the Sharks organization has decided there is value in having their AHL team so close. Provided the financial losses by the Barracuda are less than whatever the value is the Sharks have determined, they won't even think about moving them.

None of those locations I mentioned are far from SJ.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Golden 1 has neither a hockey plant, nor really the space for the rink, nor the desire. I think I made my Sacramento speech already.
ice plants are inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

If someone wants to put a team there it's not even close to the most expensive roadblock.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I don't get it. There's so many locations in California that could host teams. Why are the Sharks just content with San Jose? Why are they content with bottom 5 attendance figures in the league? Plenty of large locations like SF, Oakland, Sacramento to spread their brand.

Why would San Francisco fans want to watch a farm team for a San Jose franchise? Why would the Sharks want to pay premium rent to play in a premium place that probably won't be that hockey-suitable?

Why would anyone try to use an arena in Oakland that isn't suitable for hockey in the first place (NOTE: I know about the Golden Seals. You may not be aware of the renovation.), much less due to be turned under for a new development? Oakland isn't exactly inexpensive. Oh, BTW, you're asking them to be a San Jose farm team, too.

The real question to ask is why San Jose didn't work to get Stockton in the first place. It's possible they were helping Calgary solve their problem, perhaps, but that's always stumped me a bit.

I'll leave Sacramento out of it , except to note that Hutch's response regarding the basketball affiliation going to Stockton was amazingly impressive in getting almost everything wrong in a relative economy of words.

Reactions: Captain Crash

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why would San Francisco fans want to watch a farm team for a San Jose franchise? Why would the Sharks want to pay premium rent to play in a premium place that probably won't be that hockey-suitable?

Why would anyone try to use an arena in Oakland that isn't suitable for hockey in the first place (NOTE: I know about the Golden Seals. You may not be aware of the renovation.), much less due to be turned under for a new development? Oakland isn't exactly inexpensive. Oh, BTW, you're asking them to be a San Jose farm team, too.

The real question to ask is why San Jose didn't work to get Stockton in the first place. It's possible they were helping Calgary solve their problem, perhaps, but that's always stumped me a bit.

I'll leave Sacramento out of it , except to note that Hutch's response regarding the basketball affiliation going to Stockton was amazingly impressive in getting almost everything wrong in a relative economy of words.
it wasn't San Jose, PCS, in case you have forgotten, the Sharks never owned their affiliate until 2001, when the parent club's owners elected to get out of the real estate and team ownership, Dan Gilbert told the Sharks they were not welcome past 2006, the Pacific Division never existed until 2015, stop rewriting franchise history

btw, it was Edmonton, not Calgary that assisted in the transfer of Bakersfield to Norfolk, because the Ducks did not own a franchise, that they currently own in San Diego.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

what was the San Francisco Bulls affiliate, PCS, I believe that also was San Jose, and isn't the Sharks original arena in the same footprint as that is SF, which is already classified as SJ'S TERRITORY,

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Sacramento is 90 minutes without traffic.

Guys don't have to change their beds for call up/downs.

Toronto and Montreal, in addition to Winnipeg which uses same arena for NHL and AHL, also have their respective affiliate close.

One issue by the Bay or in the corridor to Sacramento... when isn't there traffic?

Another issue... you're either going to house your AHL players at around $3,500 a month rent (just the rent) in San Jose or $4,000 a month in Oakland or $4,500 a month in San Francisco. Sacramento would be better, but that place was built for the Kings (and its best feature are the doors that open so that cooler air flows through the place after warm days in a place where both cool and warm are relative terms). Now you're going to commute those players to their home games.

Not playing in Sacramento is primarily an arena issue. Oakland, same. Not playing in San Francisco is a COST ISSUE... and I apologize for a not large enough font for that scream.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Based on conversations I had with Sharks management back in the WorSharks days the intent was to always have the AHL Sharks as close as possible to the NHL Sharks. Originally they were going to build an arena at Sharks Ice for the AHL Sharks to play in, but the move out west happened a season earlier than they anticipated (which is Worcester didn't have an ECHL team ready to go, everything was in motion for one more season of the WorSharks). After that first season at the SAP Center where everything worked out the Sharks seem to not be in a hurry to change things.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, the Ontario Reign now practice at their parent (LA Kings) practice facility (separate area), and travel 60+ miles to their home rink for games.

So, easy opportunity for team brass to keep an eye on their prospects. Call ups are just a walk across the building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad