Post-Game Talk: #30 - 12/10/19 | RANGERS @ kings | 10:30 - MSG 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just don't understand how a team that inarguably upgraded at every position is this unwatchable, even when they win.
Because, as discussed in the summer, simply adding Panarin and Trouba was not going to magically make this team a playoff team. When you look at the age and the players that were traded at the deadline, these results are hardly surprising.

Reactions: zephyr

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The issue is whatever line bread is on is the first line and will get first line centers matched up against. Strome gets killed in those match ups. You want Mika out there. Gotta give them some time. He’s just back from injury. They crushed it before he got hurt.

by the way was pointed out on Twitter Kakko got another phantom -1? What’s this about? happens a lot to him. Wasn’t on for any goals against.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We're actually a pretty predictable team. When we play a team that likes to skate, we do well. When we play a team that likes to play tight or an aggressive forecheck, we're a@@.
See and that's the problem that this team has. It was on display last night. They cannot take the simple shot. Or at least not often. It's like the ghosts of Dvorak-Nedved-Hlavac is out there. Overpass, overpass, overpass....try for the picture perfect prettiest goal. I think they do better when they simplify and just get the shots on goal.

The other issue is with the D. And that is also predictable. They are aggressive when it is time to join the rush, but nowhere near as much when it comes time to defend.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
by the way was pointed out on Twitter Kakko got another phantom -1? What’s this about? happens a lot to him. Wasn’t on for any goals against.

That’s weird, looking at the box score, and stats, he was even.

Deleted member 23124

Uh, am I the only one who thought that they played on balance a good game and just couldn't quite put it away? Good stuff from Fox, Kakko, Buchnevich (and Panarin of course)... It's simply the kind of game a young team figuring it all out loses. :dunno:
I can't only speak regarding the second period: they didn't look good at all to me....Kings were beating them to every loose puck, they were a step behind....and then there was the lack of shots (I think they had 3 in the period and none in the last 10 minutes).

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The issue is whatever line bread is on is the first line and will get first line centers matched up against. Strome gets killed in those match ups. You want Mika out there. Gotta give them some time. He’s just back from injury. They crushed it before he got hurt.

When he first returned, Mika was actually fine and seemed like he didn't miss a beat. He and his game have continually trended down since.

Reactions: Kovalev27

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Uh, am I the only one who thought that they played on balance a good game and just couldn't quite put it away? Good stuff from Fox, Kakko, Buchnevich (and Panarin of course)... It's simply the kind of game a young team figuring it all out loses. :dunno:

I think it was definitely a much better game than the Vegas and Columbus ones but I'm torn. The first period I thought they played pretty well which was marred by the ugly final minute. The second was legitimately terrible. And I'll admit I was in and out of sleeping during the 3rd but they were trailing by 2 heading into the 3rd so they SHOULD be generating more. And the Kings are a terrible team but by the same token, they've been a good team on home ice as they're now 10-6-1.

One thing I cycle back to with the team is the highs don't seem to be as high as the lows are lows. When we have sustained zone time, there's a lot of cycling and passing but a lot of the time there doesn't seem to be actual chances being generated unless it's Panarin doing it. When we get pinned, it turns into a f***ing shooting gallery on the ice with the goalies under siege as seen in the final minute. Some of it stems from the team's refusal to shoot the puck but I can't help but get that feeling that we never have those shifts while we see it happen to us probably a good 2-3 times a game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Because, as discussed in the summer, simply adding Panarin and Trouba was not going to magically make this team a playoff team. When you look at the age and the players that were traded at the deadline, these results are hardly surprising.
Okay but I'm not asking for a playoff team; I'm just wanted to see improvement. Looking at our cumulative movements over the past year there is absolutely no reason this team should, at the very least, getting machine gunned on ice every night.

I can think of like 6-7 games where this team legitimately controlled pace for any memorable period of time and many many more where they were woefully ineffective both offensively and defensively. I understand this is not a finished product but this team has absolutely no good reason to be worse than our team last year defensively.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Mika was an animal at the end of that game. If Bread - Mika - Kakko starts to bud and progress at some point and plays like that last 3 minutes last night... Watch the F out.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Okay but I'm not asking for a playoff team; I'm just wanted to see improvement. Looking at our cumulative movements over the past year there is absolutely no reason this team should, at the very least, getting machine gunned on ice every night.
Again, this goes back to the summer debates. As discussed, we brought up the points that 1) this team was actually going to be even younger and that 2) they may actually do worse. So what you cannot understand goes right back to that.

The fact that this team actually had the record that it does, I believe is actually an underachievement.
I can think of like 6-7 games where this team legitimately controlled pace for any memorable period of time and many many more where they were woefully ineffective both offensively and defensively. I understand this is not a finished product but this team has absolutely no good reason to be worse than our team last year defensively.
This team is either icing a defense with 3 rookies and one sophomore or two rookies, one sophomore and one Staal. What did you expect was going to happen?

Can you name another team in the last 25 years or so that iced 3 rookies at the same time in the starting 6?

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Was at game. A few observations.

1 - Lundqvist was really having trouble with rebound control. Left so many juicy rebounds all night. He needed to retain control or kick out with more authority. But it seemed like he was a bit slow/beind the play all night -- like, he'd kick out his pad at the very last moment. He wasn't in control and it created a lot of havoc for the D. Just not a great game from him. The 2nd goal is on him. He needed to catch the initial shot more cleanly. And on the first goal, I wonder if Hank of 5 years ago keeps himself upright and instead pushes off to get back over to the other post (as opposed to the desperation lunge). I don't exactly fault him for that one.

2 - I've watched a lot of Kings games this year. I said if the Kings get the lead, it's going to get boring. They are a slow, heavy-ish team with limited skill. They dump and chase. They sit back and play a 1-4. They clog the middle of the ice in their zone and blog shots. Once they had the lead it was a good test for this young team and we didn't look great. When the opposing team isn't giving up shooting lanes you need to get the puck to the net and get rebounds and screen shots and dirty goals. They needed to makes passes off Quick's pads and crash the net. Instead they kept passing it around the perimeter.

3 - The forwards are really suffering from a complete lack of chemistry right now. I'm not sure there's a single combo right now that's clicking. Quinn needs to keep mixing and matching until something clicks. I think they need to put the original KZB back together and put panarin with Chytil and buch. Let the top 6 be about speed, speed and more speed. Then, strome kakko and lemiuex.

4 - Kreider. Man, just not playing with the focus and fortitude one would expect. Yes, he skates hard. But once he gets there, he's missing with his stick, with his body, just not very effective. I don't care if he's scoring. But he needs to find a more effective game. I qA really disappointed by his play this evening.

5 - Team needs to shoot and push for rebounds. There's just no dirty goals. no rebound goals. And it makes them easier to defend.

6 - Buch. For as effective as Buch is at times - which is often -- he also has a habit of floating a bit. Being too easy to play against, not getting back to defend, et. Watching him live, you can see why Quinn might get frustrated with him.

7 - Kakko -- He had a lot of shots. But he passed up a few early in the first that he needed to take.

8 - FWIW and it was to be expected, but seeing them live, the Rangers forwards just aren't supporting the D enough. Especially when opposing team is counter-attacking. I don't understand why Quinn is allowing this roster to play so easy against opponents.

9 - Howden needs more man strength. He really had trouble against the Kings size.
This is why gorton and Quinn want a tougher to play against squad. Too many passengers yet.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Probably on the ice for the empty net goal. Plus/minus is stupid.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I can't only speak regarding the second period: they didn't look good at all to me....Kings were beating them to every loose puck, they were a step behind....and then there was the lack of shots (I think they had 3 in the period and none in the last 10 minutes).
Was intimidation a factor?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I just don't understand how a team that inarguably upgraded at every position is this unwatchable, even when they win.
How much did they really upgrade though?

Hayes
Zuccarello
Shattenkirk
Pionk
Vesey

Panarin
Kakko
Trouba
Fox
Lemieux

Panarin + Kakko isn’t much of an improvement over Hayes + Zuccarello (if any.) Fox and Shattenkirk maybe cancel each other out. Trouba is an obvious upgrade but he’s played with a rookie for most of the season.

Then Zibanejad has missed half the season, and Kreider has been terrible. Chytil looks great but he’s only played half the season. Bottom line I still think this roster has a huge talent deficiency compared to other teams. I’m honestly amazed their record is as good as it is.

I don’t like that Quinn has this team playing a passive defensive system. It’s supposed to keep opponents to the outside but it just allows the other team possession and to enter the zone with speed. They are probably worse defensively this year which is weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad