Post-Game Talk: #30 - 12/10/19 | RANGERS @ kings | 10:30 - MSG 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
How much did they really upgrade though?

Hayes
Zuccarello
Shattenkirk
Pionk

Panarin
Kakko
Trouba
Fox

Panarin + Kakko isn’t much of an improvement over Hayes + Zuccarello (if any.) Fox and Shattenkirk maybe cancel each other out. Trouba is an obvious upgrade but he’s played with a rookie for most of the season.

Then Zibanejad has missed half the season, and Kreider has been terrible. Chytil looks great but he’s only played half the season. Bottom line I still think this roster has a huge talent deficiency compared to other teams. I’m honestly amazed their record is as good as it is.

I don’t like that Quinn has this team playing a passive defensive system. It’s supposed to keep opponents to the outside but it just allows the other team possession and to enter the zone with speed. They are probably worse defensively this year which is weird.

With all due respect, you lost me after the bolded.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Was intimidation a factor?

Kings laid out some pretty big hits in the first period. DeAngelo got crunched, particularly, and wanted a pound of flesh in return. Clifford was running around. Wagner too. Skjei and Wagner hugged each other in what was supposed to be a fight.

Plus, the Kings are Dave Maloney's wet dream as a small-ice team. Little poke checks and all kinds of frustrating little plays.

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Uh, am I the only one who thought that they played on balance a good game and just couldn't quite put it away? Good stuff from Fox, Kakko, Buchnevich (and Panarin of course)... It's simply the kind of game a young team figuring it all out loses. :dunno:
I didn’t read the GDT I only saw this thread but it’s almost as if people didn’t stay up and watch and only read the boxscore. That 1st period was dominant, that first PP was a thing of beauty. Until the final minute LA couldn’t even enter our zone, every time the puck entered our zone our defensemen had it would keep sending it back up the ice and our offense kept coming in waves. That 1st period might’ve been the best hockey I’ve seen the Rangers play all season, it looked like they were an NHL team playing an AHL one. Quick was just playing out of his mind and we had so many shots that give or take an inch would’ve been goals. Kakko also played his best game as a Ranger

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
How much did they really upgrade though?

Hayes
Zuccarello
Shattenkirk
Pionk
Vesey

Panarin
Kakko
Trouba
Fox
Lemieux

Panarin + Kakko isn’t much of an improvement over Hayes + Zuccarello (if any.) Fox and Shattenkirk maybe cancel each other out. Trouba is an obvious upgrade but he’s played with a rookie for most of the season.

Then Zibanejad has missed half the season, and Kreider has been terrible. Chytil looks great but he’s only played half the season. Bottom line I still think this roster has a huge talent deficiency compared to other teams. I’m honestly amazed their record is as good as it is.

I don’t like that Quinn has this team playing a passive defensive system. It’s supposed to keep opponents to the outside but it just allows the other team possession and to enter the zone with speed. They are probably worse defensively this year which is weird.
I’m fully convinced if Panarin played a 2v1 game against Hayes & Zucc he would destroy them. And Kakko is way more skilled than both of them, rookie Kakko I’ll agree isn’t a marked improvement. Every team in the league takes Panarin & Kakko over Hayes & Zucc

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
With all due respect, you lost me after the bolded.
Kakko is 18 and Shattenkirk is showing in Tampa that he’s clearly still a good defenseman. As good as Fox has been, he really hasn’t had to shoulder the load defensively; He plays 18:00 a night, while Ethan Bear for example plays 21:00.

Remember Hayes was very good last year, and Zuccarello ended up with 37 points in 46 games too.

Panarin 3.61 P/60
Hayes 2.54 P/60
Zuccarello 2.41 P/60
Kakko 1.93 P/60

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kakko is 18 and Shattenkirk is showing in Tampa that he’s clearly still a good defenseman. As good as Fox has been, he really hasn’t had to shoulder the load defensively; He plays 18:00 a night, while Ethan Bear for example plays 21:00.

Remember Hayes was very good last year, and Zuccarello ended up with 37 points in 46 games too.

Panarin 3.61 P/60
Hayes 2.54 P/60
Zuccarello 2.41 P/60
Kakko 1.93 P/60
So that means
Panarin & Kakko = 5.54 P/60
Hayes & Zucc = 4.95 P/60

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The Kings game was like watching the 90s-trapping Devils team vs a world juniors team. Great structure vs skilled freelancers. And, I don't, for the life of me, understand why we consistently look like we have the same amount of team structure and defensive focus as an OHL team.

It's maddening. The Wolf Pack play with more structure than the Rangers.

Quinn's been decent at helping players develop offensively. But from a structural standpoint, he either doesn't hold the entire team accountable or the system is flawed.

Just how weak the team's structure is, can't be fully appreciated unless you're at the games. Much of that structure is happening away from the puck (thus, away from the camera's eye). It has to do with how quickly players who aren't around the puck get from one play to the next. There are set structures and positions for every situation and how quickly the players read what's happening and transition to their position on the ice is vital to a teams cohesiveness. Obviously, once you're in the right spot, you STILL have to make a play. So if you suck once you have the puck (Hello, Mr. Staal), then that's a separate issue.

When the Rangers play against teams with more structure and trap a lot (Oilers, Kings, Ducks, Arizona) it reveals the holes in our structure (or the willingness of the players to play within the system). When a team's structure fails, it just looks like there's no pushback, there's no hustle or effort. But that's just how it looks. In reality, it's more like half the team is trying to do too much on their own and everyone else is rushing to spots that are now meaningless because not everyone's on the same page.

That's why this Rangers team struggles mightily against some teams that appear to be weaker opponents.

Last night, a lot of the structure issues seem to be caused by the wingers. Buch, Kreider were floating far too much at times. And as vets, that's inexcusable. Kakko is getting a little better at this but often is slow to his spots and has a tendency to skate himself out of position. And the impact is that it just neuters a team. Rangers had 2 power plays last night. Just 2. They just didn't break the Kings structure enough to create the kind of havoc that leads to penalties.

To put a bow on this, I think a big reason why Quinn prefers Howden to Lias is this reason. Howden, as bad as he can be once he's on the puck, he is always hustling to his next spot. He's positionally aware and seems to take pride in team structure. Whereas Lias has a tendency to float. Even in the games in the A, Lias is still struggling at this core aspect of the pro game. And Kravtsov too was struggling with this in pre-season. I believe, in addition to strength, this was a reason why he too was sent down to Hartford. On the flip side, it's why a guy like Jesper Fast is so positive. He's always hustling to the next spot and he's pretty effective on and around the puck. Against, teams like the Kings, Quinn should be moving Fast higher in the lineup. Let him help the skilled players establish a forecheck and get dirty goals. Putting Fast with Panarin last night was probably the move that needed to happen.

In any case, we're gonna have the same issues against the Ducks on Sunday unless we can jump out to an early lead.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Quinn's been decent at helping players develop offensively. But from a structural standpoint, he either doesn't hold the entire team accountable or the system is flawed.
He's not known for a good system.

The caveat to hiring him from people who watched BU was that he was going to need very good systematic oriented assistants to guide him

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, not a vast improvement. Factor in two-way play.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked Hayes and Zucc, especially Hayes. But you're looking at comparables with their first years here, and one of them as an 18-yr-old. Next year, or the following year, the numbers shouldn't even be close enough to compare.

Reactions: leetch99

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Kings laid out some pretty big hits in the first period. DeAngelo got crunched, particularly, and wanted a pound of flesh in return. Clifford was running around. Wagner too. Skjei and Wagner hugged each other in what was supposed to be a fight.

Plus, the Kings are Dave Maloney's wet dream as a small-ice team. Little poke checks and all kinds of frustrating little plays.
Did anybody get a crack at Brown after that kick on Panarin ? That has to be addressed by our club . If not....somebody has to be brought in to fix that . One designated hit man works for me .

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Did anybody get a crack at Brown after that kick on Panarin ? That has to be addressed by our club . If not....somebody has to be brought in to fix that . One designated hit man works for me .

No. They were chippy all night. Panarin went after Carter, in fact. He usually does not engage in post-whistle stuff.

Reactions: leetch99

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

Panarin 3.61 P/60
Hayes 2.54 P/60
Zuccarello 2.41 P/60
Kakko 1.93 P/60

Sooo Kakko/Panarin is over a half a point per 60 better. That’s a pretty significant difference

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If I could get a young Prust/Lemieux type for the right side on our 3rd line for Buchnevich, I'd do it. Hopefully with a pick coming with him.
I'd like to have a heavy line to put out when teams get running around.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
A team playing at the level expected or better is an example of a deficiency in coaching?

It quiets a lot of dissonance to imagine that there is a coach in this league who would not only polish this turd into a dynasty, but also that the same person would do it after taking the reins for a few games.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
How much does anyone really think Kreider will net us once we deal him hypothetically if is his play continues at this level?

I'm in agreement with alot of you guys that he seems to have mailed it in and is playing soft as if to try and not to get injured or something like that. Once upon a time I thought we could defintily get a #1 pick from some playoff bound team at the deadline but now? I dunno, we might get lucky and some team will be desperate and give us a #1 but he better pick up his play quite a bit for this to happen.

The only thing that gives me some hope is that Hayes got us a #1 pick plus Lemieux last year and tho his game did pick up before the deadline last year which helped us, he is not the player that a motivated Kreider is.

I gotta be honest...I'm concerned about this and Kreider is ****ing with us right now with his pathetic play. Would be nice if he showed some damn pride and started to play like he's capable of.

It will be a combination of how much of a rookie GM the team has and how much the trading partner team needs to make the bottom line for their sucker fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad