Speculation: 3 Weeks to Deadline - What happens?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Frankly, aside from embarrassing the Make Beliefs, these type of threads are the most enjoyable thing, in my opinion, to come out of the season. Answers to these questions are for now through the deadline, so if a deal happens on 2/24, it counts. So without further ado:

1 - Number of NHL roster players who leave the Sabres:
2 - Who, if any:
3 - Number of NHL roster players acquired by the Sabres:
4 - Number of Rochester players who are shipped out of the organization:
5 - Number of draft picks traded away:
6 - If a player is acquired for the NHL roster, do they play above the 4th line / bottom pair [think the difference between Greenway and Robinson, or n/a if you don't think they acquire any players]:
7 - Will any departing player publicly badmouth the Sabres organization within 3 days of the deadline closing?
8 - Do the Sabres make a "hockey trade" as opposed to a straightforward selling of assets?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
1 - 2
2 - Johnson and Girgensons
3 - 0
4 - 0
5 - 0
6 - N/A
7 - No
8 - No

It’s going to be a boring day for us.
This is right - those two are the only players that have trade value. I could see them doing a Stillman type trade, as they certainly love the idea of finding a diamond in the rough. I assume that is what our one pro scout is working on.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Frankly, aside from embarrassing the Make Beliefs, these type of threads are the most enjoyable thing, in my opinion, to come out of the season. Answers to these questions are for now through the deadline, so if a deal happens on 2/24, it counts. So without further ado:

2 - Who, if any:
6 - If a player is acquired for the NHL roster, do they play above the 4th line / bottom pair [think the difference between Greenway and Robinson, or n/a if you don't think they acquire any players]:
7 - Will any departing player publicly badmouth the Sabres organization within 3 days of the deadline closing?
8 - Do the Sabres make a "hockey trade" as opposed to a straightforward selling of assets?
2 - Who, if any:
EJ, Girgs, VO
1/2 depending on the player
Bottom pair to replace exiting players
No all classy players leaving and VO knows he is bad.
Not likely as this probably involves Mitts.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
What can happen?
Girgs, vo, okposo, Robinson, or e Johnson for late round picks? Who cares. Maybe if we call up Rochester players but who replaces them?

Casey or krebs for picks. Sabres don’t need more of those

Only chance is a Change of scenery trade with another non playoff team. Disgruntled?

I don’t think much of anything happens. And if a lot happens, it ruins Rochester season as well as the sabres

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
1 - Number of NHL roster players who leave the Sabres: TWO
2 - Who, if any: Erik Johnson, Zemgus Girgensons
3 - Number of NHL roster players acquired by the Sabres: ONE
4 - Number of Rochester players who are shipped out of the organization: ZERO
5 - Number of draft picks traded away: ZERO
6 - If a player is acquired for the NHL roster, do they play above the 4th line / bottom pair [think the difference between Greenway and Robinson, or n/a if you don't think they acquire any players]: NO
7 - Will any departing player publicly badmouth the Sabres organization within 3 days of the deadline closing? NO
8 - Do the Sabres make a "hockey trade" as opposed to a straightforward selling of assets? NO

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
1 - Number of NHL roster players who leave the Sabres: TWO
2 - Who, if any: Erik Johnson, Zemgus Girgensons
3 - Number of NHL roster players acquired by the Sabres: ONE
4 - Number of Rochester players who are shipped out of the organization: ZERO
5 - Number of draft picks traded away: ZERO
6 - If a player is acquired for the NHL roster, do they play above the 4th line / bottom pair [think the difference between Greenway and Robinson, or n/a if you don't think they acquire any players]: NO
7 - Will any departing player publicly badmouth the Sabres organization within 3 days of the deadline closing? NO
8 - Do the Sabres make a "hockey trade" as opposed to a straightforward selling of assets? NO
This is the one for me. They desperately need a few hockey trades, but the Draft seems like a much more likely venue for such a thing. Perhaps Adams acquires someone to replace either ZG or EJ but pulling from Rochester would be the more likely outcome.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This is the one for me. They desperately need a few hockey trades, but the Draft seems like a much more likely venue for such a thing. Perhaps Adams acquires someone to replace either ZG or EJ but pulling from Rochester would be the more likely outcome.

I think we get middling picks for ZG or EJ. I think we then get some sort of 3rd/4th line player a la Greenway who needs rehabilitation.

I also think we then shut down one or more of the playing-through-injury brigade at forward (Skinner, Tage....Tuch?) and call up a guy like Rousek to see if he can amount to anything in the NHL. I do not think we callup Kulich or Rosen.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
1 - Number of NHL roster players who leave the Sabres: 3
2 - Who, if any: Girgs, KO, Bryson
3 - Number of NHL roster players acquired by the Sabres: 1
4 - Number of Rochester players who are shipped out of the organization: 1
5 - Number of draft picks traded away: 1
6 - If a player is acquired for the NHL roster, do they play above the 4th line / bottom pair [think the difference between Greenway and Robinson, or n/a if you don't think they acquire any players]: No
7 - Will any departing player publicly badmouth the Sabres organization within 3 days of the deadline closing? Yes
8 - Do the Sabres make a "hockey trade" as opposed to a straightforward selling of assets? No

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
1 - Number of NHL roster players who leave the Sabres: 3
2 - Who, if any: ZG, EJ, VO
3 - Number of NHL roster players acquired by the Sabres: 2
4 - Number of Rochester players who are shipped out of the organization: 1
5 - Number of draft picks traded away: 1
6 - If a player is acquired for the NHL roster, do they play above the 4th line / bottom pair [think the difference between Greenway and Robinson, or n/a if you don't think they acquire any players]: Yes
7 - Will any departing player publicly badmouth the Sabres organization within 3 days of the deadline closing? Vic
8 - Do the Sabres make a "hockey trade" as opposed to a straightforward selling of assets? Yes. I expect a Greenway-type trade for a D, prospect and a pick

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
1 - Number of NHL roster players who leave the Sabres: 2
2 - Who, if any: E Johnson, Girgensons
3 - Number of NHL roster players acquired by the Sabres: 0
4 - Number of Rochester players who are shipped out of the organization: 2
5 - Number of draft picks traded away: 0
6 - If a player is acquired for the NHL roster, do they play above the 4th line / bottom pair [think the difference between Greenway and Robinson, or n/a if you don't think they acquire any players]: N/A I believe Adams said that if they will be out of the playoffs, that the organization will use the time for “try-outs”. If there is one thing about Adams and Co they stick to that to the detriment of the quality of leadership.
7 - Will any departing player publicly badmouth the Sabres organization within 3 days of the deadline closing? No, it will be months into the offseason when a reporter lets its out when management doesn’t make sizable improvements to the team.
8 - Do the Sabres make a "hockey trade" as opposed to a straightforward selling of assets? No.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I'm going with two.

2 - Who, if any:

Okposo to the Bruins, Vic at 50% to Colorado.

I'm going with 1. People will like it. More people will hate it.

Does that include players currently on recall? Because I could see someone take Bryson as an 8th with a jot of retention.

One out, two in.

🤷‍♂️ I doubt it though.

Nah. Will someone say something that a small, perhaps even vocal group of people online will parse to mean something bad? Of f***ing course.

I'm going to say no. I will say that they claim that they tried and couldn't make it happen, deferred to their offer being better than another team's and some such.

The nightmare is that they lean in on a turd like Laughton by giving away something useful and then people wonder why it doesn't work.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
2 - Who, if any:
EJ, Girgs, Okposo, VO
NO
No
No

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Good luck making a hockey trade when sentiment around the league is if your only options are playing for the Sabres or playing in the KHL you book the next flight to Moscow. Adams blew it SOOOOOOO bad this offseason and we are totally screwed.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Nothing.

But hopefully the terrible margins of our roster will be shipped off for good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad