Speculation: 3 Weeks to Deadline - What happens?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Good luck making a hockey trade when sentiment around the league is if your only options are playing for the Sabres or playing in the KHL you book the next flight to Moscow. Adams blew it SOOOOOOO bad this offseason and we are totally screwed.
Screenshot_20221119-2146312.png

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
It's cute you guys still think good things will happen at a deadline, has anything good ever happen to the Sabres lol
Last year we swiped a 3rd line power forward who is on pace for 15 goals as one of the best penalty killers in the league for the 64th pick and a 2024 5th...

Granted just a nice, sensible hockey addition and not the ever-available panacea move that Adams stubbornly refuses to take advantage of, to his self-sabotaging detriment.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Any Greenway like additions out there? Would love to get a top-9 player with some physicality and two-way play.

Reactions: brian_griffin

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Very interested in Chad D's article but paywall. I expect KA to make a decent addition this deadline.

Sabres just got tied to Couture. Wrong forward, should be hertl.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Very interested in Chad D's article but paywall. I expect KA to make a decent addition this deadline.

Sabres just got tied to Couture. Wrong forward, should be hertl.

The issue is probably that Hertl has no reason to want to come to Buffalo. Couture was an avid Sabre fan as a child and remains a Bills Mafia guy.

That said, his contract and injury stuff both are massive risks, beyond my appetite for sure.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Any Greenway like additions out there? Would love to get a top-9 player with some physicality and two-way play.
I guess Laughton, though despite his season being terrible might be a reclamation project yet the press comments about the ask is as though he is playing well.

Reactions: Jim Bob

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The issue is probably that Hertl has no reason to want to come to Buffalo. Couture was an avid Sabre fan as a child and remains a Bills Mafia guy.

That said, his contract and injury stuff both are massive risks, beyond my appetite for sure.
SJ wont be good for like 3+ years is he going to want to stick around, or is the team going to want him to be over the hill by the time they are good?

Not sure we can acquire a long term 7+ contract without ditching skinner. Buyout if we can acquire Hertl or similar player I would think personally.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
SJ wont be good for like 3+ years is he going to want to stick around, or is the team going to want him to be over the hill by the time they are good?

Not sure we can acquire a long term 7+ contract without ditching skinner. Buyout if we can acquire Hertl or similar player I would think personally.

Or convince Skinner that San Jose is the place to be. :biglaugh: I would prefer Hertl too, just can’t see him willingly going somewhere he has no ties.

Maybe if San Jose were to retain on Couture but that’s an unheard of length on a player well past his shelf life. He was at one time one of the top playoff goal scorers of the 2010’s, so he has some knowledge of how to do that. They certainly need more vets who have postseason (preferably Cup winning) experience since that is something missing.

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Bob and TageGod

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

If Philly is insisting on a 1st round pick, I'm out. I do not want to give up a top 10 pick for Laughton. And even if you protect a 2024 1st in the top 10, it likely means they get the Sabres 2025 1st with no protection.

Given how bad the Sabres have been for so long, doing that is a bad idea, as well.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

If Philly is insisting on a 1st round pick, I'm out. I do not want to give up a top 10 pick for Laughton. And even if you protect a 2024 1st in the top 10, it likely means they get the Sabres 2025 1st with no protection.

Given how bad the Sabres have been for so long, doing that is a bad idea, as well.
You have to think a contender would out bid us, too. The arms race at the TDL can get insane.

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
I think we get middling picks for ZG or EJ. I think we then get some sort of 3rd/4th line player a la Greenway who needs rehabilitation.

I also think we then shut down one or more of the playing-through-injury brigade at forward (Skinner, Tage....Tuch?) and call up a guy like Rousek to see if he can amount to anything in the NHL. I do not think we callup Kulich or Rosen.
Agreed. Especially in this lost season, what's the point of derailing the Amerks when they could provide some play-off work for the top 3 prospects at that level. I do like reclamation projects even if they're low/medium risk, low/medium reward.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

CLAUSE DETAILS: Player submits a list of 3 teams he would accept a trade to

I know he is from Ontario and is a big Bills fan. But, with a trade list that small, I doubt he waives to come to Buffalo.

:dunno:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I pray Okposo is traded(Don't have anything against him). Not sure who wants him? Detroit? NYR?

Would love to see a new captain this year and turn the page on the Okposo era.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I know he is from Ontario and is a big Bills fan. But, with a trade list that small, I doubt he waives to come to Buffalo.

:dunno:

If they ask, who knows. But the contract and his ankle and his age? Unreliably risky regardless of what they might move for him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If they ask, who knows. But the contract and his ankle and his age? Unreliably risky regardless of what they might move for him.
I definitely want nothing to do with his contract in any reasonable scenario (Skinner to SJ or the Sharks retaining a meaningful portion of the deal are not reasonable, IMO).

I like Grier. But, I do not want the Sabres helping him out by taking arguably his worst contract off his hands.

I just think that Couture's M-NTC likely keeps Adams from making a bad move.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I definitely want nothing to do with his contract in any reasonable scenario (Skinner to SJ or the Sharks retaining a meaningful portion of the deal are not reasonable, IMO).

I like Grier. But, I do not want the Sabres helping him out by taking arguably his worst contract off his hands.

I just think that Couture's M-NTC likely keeps Adams from making a bad move.

I have Vlasic as the worst of what Grier has inherited but Couture is a close second.

Granlund or Jan Rutta (my phone keeps trying to say “Grab Land” and “Ruth’s”) would be guys I would be interested in. Mario Ferraro too. Maybe Kunin if they want some sort of heavier player in the mold of Robinson.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Or convince Skinner that San Jose is the place to be. :biglaugh: I would prefer Hertl too, just can’t see him willingly going somewhere he has no ties.

Maybe if San Jose were to retain on Couture but that’s an unheard of length on a player well past his shelf life. He was at one time one of the top playoff goal scorers of the 2010’s, so he has some knowledge of how to do that. They certainly need more vets who have postseason (preferably Cup winning) experience since that is something missing.
He would count as their 3rd retention for this season and next season, a 3rd party might have to be involved for any RS.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Unless it's total media bullshit/baseless speculation (which is certainly possible) the fact that they are being linked with multiple players who scream DO NOT TOUCH is quite disturbing.

Reactions: Chainshot

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Instead of being a debbie downer around here, I'm contributing lol. But it did take a bit more energy!

1 - Number of NHL roster players who leave the Sabres: 2

2 - Who, if any: Johnson, Girgs

3 - Number of NHL roster players acquired by the Sabres: 1

4 - Number of Rochester players who are shipped out of the organization: 0

5 - Number of draft picks traded away: 1

6 - If a player is acquired for the NHL roster, do they play above the 4th line / bottom pair [think the difference between Greenway and Robinson, or n/a if you don't think they acquire any players]: Yes

7 - Will any departing player publicly badmouth the Sabres organization within 3 days of the deadline closing? No

8 - Do the Sabres make a "hockey trade" as opposed to a straightforward selling of assets? Yes (wishful thinking)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Unless it's total media bullshit/baseless speculation (which is certainly possible) the fact that they are being linked with multiple players who scream DO NOT TOUCH is quite disturbing.
They have to find players that teams will want to move and Buffalo could reasonably acquire given their position as the biggest joke in sports.

By they I mean both the media and the front office.

It’s why Adams’ passing on opportunities for years is a big issue. Any chance you had to close a deal for help had to be taken. Yes it is hard. No it isn’t as hard as he makes it.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
hey all, Avs fan coming in peace.

I know RHD is your priority, but I don't see many available. Your AGM has been scouting the Avs pretty hard and a Byram - Mittlestadt base swap seems to make sense, especially since Byram has been getting more comfortable playing his offside this season.

I'm curious what more you'd need to include Rosen in the deal, as he seems to be a bit of the odd man out with all your talented F prospects.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad