Speculation: 3 Weeks to Deadline - What happens?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’ll predict we add Brandon Duhaime and then someone else. And I bet olofsson goes for nothing. EJ goes for some middle draft pick.

Okposo and Girgs star

Duhaime and William Carrier are 2/3rds of what I want them to look for in a 4th line to start next year. So that would be part way there.

I’d expect Pitt to start selling, not buying. They’re sorta where we were in 11-12 (treading water in mediocrity) except they’re even older. Dubas is going to want to reshape the team and they need to start getting younger.

At least Dubas can finally sleep easy now that he finally traded Nylander.

:D

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't see why a team would even give up "nothing" for Olofsson at this point. Injured, scratched, not playing well when he does draw into the lineup, and very expensive. He'll still be with us on June 30th.

Future considerations must be served.

I could see a deal like what Buffalo did with Robinson - conditions on it that won't ever be met, so essentially for free.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Isn't Duhaime a UFA? Not sure he'd sign with us before testing the market. And at that point I'd rather just go after him on 7/1.

He is - I wouldn't mind if they sign him in the summer. If they want a jump on trying to not overpay like they seem to always do on UFA-Stupid-Money-Day, then perhaps they try something? Ultimately though, I expect Guerin to do very little but mess up contract retention sharing by underbidding everyone else (again).

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
He is - I wouldn't mind if they sign him in the summer. If they want a jump on trying to not overpay like they seem to always do on UFA-Stupid-Money-Day, then perhaps they try something? Ultimately though, I expect Guerin to do very little but mess up contract retention sharing by underbidding everyone else (again).
Okay so you and me are spot on when it comes to Trenin and/or Duhaime for the 4th line next year. Who is centering them? Krebs? Does Krebs get moved. Does ge get moved up the lineup? (not likely dependent on the Mitts situation).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Okay so you and me are spot on when it comes to Trenin and/or Duhaime for the 4th line next year. Who is centering them? Krebs? Does Krebs get moved. Does ge get moved up the lineup? (not likely dependent on the Mitts situation).

Trenin seems like one of those guys who a good playoff team in the East is going to snap up and then lock in at a reasonable rate to make life miserable for candy ass teams like Buffalo. I don't see him as someone Adams would consider at all since his current staff is traffic averse as they are.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Trenin seems like one of those guys who a good playoff team in the East is going to snap up and then lock in at a reasonable rate to make life miserable for candy ass teams like Buffalo. I don't see him as someone Adams would consider at all since his current staff is traffic averse as they are.
I wasn't talking about realistic outcomes. I'm a Sabres fan...I never get what I want. I was more so curious of what your ideal 4th line would look like.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wasn't talking about realistic outcomes. I'm a Sabres fan...I never get what I want. I was more so curious of what your ideal 4th line would look like.

What I would want is a trio that can draw the rest of the team into the game physically and also have some utility in special teams - a PKer or two - or put themselves further up the lineup at times when needed. Trenin, Sam Lafferty, Will Carrier is way, way up on my list though he's more of a third liner, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few because I try to find these guys and then get depressed that they are never what the Sabres look for or find. Hell, two of those guys with Robinson back could be workable.

What this team does is probably bring in more candy floss and folks on ELC's who can't finish a hit or defend worth a damn. But in the 10 or so games that a team plays sloppy, track meet, firewagon hockey against them, they'll look good.

Reactions: DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm with ya on all of that. Me and my buddies keep spitballing how we'd build next years lineup. I always hard on trading for Cirelli and signing Duhaime. I love trenin but usually go with somehow getting Foligno back in my mocks lol. My problem is I never have an ideal 4c to sign/trade for. I usually default to just throwing Krebs back there again because I think Cirelli would be the defensively responsible heavy lifting needed but am looking for outside the box ideas otherwise.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Okposo 2.5m
Girgensons 2.5m
Robinson 1.6m
E. Johnson 3.25m
Comrie 1.8m
Bryson 1.85m

Between the deadline and July 1st it would be great to see these guys gone and take that 12 million dollars and sign actual NHL players. Getting a top 4 defenseman either at the deadline or offseason should be Adams top priority.

Reactions: Selanne00008

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Copy/pasting a list I put in the KA thread (guys that are more vets that KA might bargain hunt for, not necessarily best options overall) -

FW - Ryan Lomberg, Nick Cousins, Austin Watson, Stefan Noesen, Tomas Nosek, Matt Martin, Yakov Trenin, Mattias Janmark, Sam Lafferty, William Carrier.

I had Trenin in there as the youngest/least vet guy, and Duhaime would be like that. They just won't bring vet leadership (but lot's of energy/physicality that I doubt is on top pf KA's list).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm of a mind that they will move at most two players and fall back on the idea that they didn't want to disrupt the team going into the summer. They won't min-max this and they won't overly disrupt the Amerks either. They have very little coming into the AHL lineup - Wahlberg seems like it since Malmo is well down in the SHL standings and won't make the playoffs. Moose Jaw probably goes two rounds if not more into the WHL playoffs, meaning Savoie will not be available for them. And Miedema isn't exactly jumping off the page with the Fronts.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I'm of a mind that they will move at most two players and fall back on the idea that they didn't want to disrupt the team going into the summer. They won't min-max this and they won't overly disrupt the Amerks either. They have very little coming into the AHL lineup - Wahlberg seems like it since Malmo is well down in the SHL standings and won't make the playoffs. Moose Jaw probably goes two rounds if not more into the WHL playoffs, meaning Savoie will not be available for them. And Miedema isn't exactly jumping off the page with the Fronts.
Shots and high danger they seem to outplay most teams as well as the eye test. They've only been outmuscled but seemingly less . The games theyve won theyve had to overcome egregious late penalties and amazingly have hit more posts and crossbars than anyone in the league. With these outcomes id trade whoever may be an anchor and I'd add long term like greenway but hopefully more talent higher scoring along w a high quality plus minus power forward w a knack for screening and tipping pucks in a clutch way. I'd pay as well so team can make a heroic run and at least play together so hit ground running if gamble doesn't pay

Can we trade for a former head coach as an assistant to add to staff to help ramp up the donny crew as he should welcome individual input from a successful former coach that may keep the vibe but adds to accountability w that presence

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Duhaime and William Carrier are 2/3rds of what I want them to look for in a 4th line to start next year. So that would be part way there.

At least Dubas can finally sleep easy now that he finally traded Nylander.

:D
Yes please to Carrier!

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
So how did everyone do? I got 2 of 8 accurate [Q1 and Q3]. But I hope everyone who did this had fun speculating, at least!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad