Proposal: 3-way deal TBL-COL-OTT

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Tampa gives up way too much here. Karlssons value is at an all time low, and TB takes on Ryan? That alone screws up their cap situation for years to come.

There's now way Tampa gives up Point if Vegas wouldn't even pay Glass.

Also, no chance Colorado gets Point AND Johnson in the deal. A high 1st + good prospect is not even close to enough.
I wouldn't trade the Ottawa 1st for Point straight up.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Well COL does have incentive for this, because they have OTT's pick, but they also get a good player for a reasonable price. What would make it more fair in your opinion?

Pretty much what everyone is suggesting in this thread:

- Have TB give up something that hurts (ie. Sergachev).
- Have COL getting someone better than Johnson in return for the pieces they're giving up.

You're missing some of the main pieces in this proposal so it's not easy just to tweak it to make it more fair.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Tampa gives up way too much here. Karlssons value is at an all time low, and TB takes on Ryan? That alone screws up their cap situation for years to come.

There's now way Tampa gives up Point if Vegas wouldn't even pay Glass.

Also, no chance Colorado gets Point AND Johnson in the deal. A high 1st + good prospect is not even close to enough.
EK's value is at an all time low, yes, but a re-signed EK changes everything. The Ryan contract is on Stevie Y to figure out. I dont see how a re-signed EK fits in with Stamkos, Sergachev, Hedman, McDonagh, Point and Kucherov all on long term high $ deals. Someone has to go out of that bunch.

I could see Tampa going after EK for one season and letting him walk after that. Cap wise that makes the most sense.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Tampa don't need Avs to trade for EK. They have all the assets required to do so by themselves. Avs have no reason overpaying for Tyler Johnson to help Tampa out.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You really don't have faith in your team to make the playoffs when you just did and will only get better? Also, the pick can obviously be top 10 protected.

I atleast wouldn't bet on it and I certainly don't expect it. Again. The Avs are 13 months removed from a 48 point season and overachieved last season.

We are also in a crazy strong division. NSH, WPG, STL, MIN, DAL, CHI...

Which team aside from maybe CHI are we clearly better than? STL clearly improved and underachieved last year. DAL seems to be looking for reinforcements and also underachieved last year.

The Avs are a crazy young team that rode on a high last season (and wanted to prove everyone wrong after that horrific season) and had multiple young guys having career seasons and got a Hart performance from their #1 C. And we still only made the playoffs on the last day of the season.

History tells you that this kind of team should certainly not trade its 1st right now if the GM has any sense because odds are it won't end all that well.

Avs are not contenders who can afford to toss around 1st rounders.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
COL doesn't need to be in on this trade unless they get something of value (Chabot, Point, Sergechev, etc). Johnson and Callahan leaving would be doing the Lightning every favor possible. Easily their most expendable players.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
No way he scores that many points in Colorado. If you think he can easily fetch a 1st and B prospect then involve any of the other 27 teams in the league then because the Avs say no.

That's fine by me, I figured Colorado needed forward depth and included them in the trade to fill that need. I have no doubt that a team like Dallas or Columbus would pay that price.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Pretty much what everyone is suggesting in this thread:

- Have TB give up something that hurts (ie. Sergachev).
- Have COL getting someone better than Johnson in return for the pieces they're giving up.

You're missing some of the main pieces in this proposal so it's not easy just to tweak it to make it more fair.

I really don't see TB giving up Sergachev for Karlsson, Dallas and Vegas wouldn't even pay Glass/Heiskanen.

Tampa don't need Avs to trade for EK. They have all the assets required to do so by themselves. Avs have no reason overpaying for Tyler Johnson to help Tampa out.

Avs are only there because Johnson obviously won't waive for Ottawa. Also like I've said, Colorado does have a reason to help facilitate this trade, because they have the Ottawa pick.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Avs are only there because Johnson obviously won't waive for Ottawa. Also like I've said, Colorado does have a reason to help facilitate this trade, because they have the Ottawa pick.
It's no longer a matter of "if" Karlsson will be traded it's now "when." Colorado doesn't need to involve itself to make sure that happens.

Reactions: Meeqs

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
I atleast wouldn't bet on it and I certainly don't expect it. Again. The Avs are 13 months removed from a 48 point season and overachieved last season.

We are also in a crazy strong division. NSH, WPG, STL, MIN, DAL, CHI...

Which team aside from maybe CHI are we clearly better than? STL clearly improved and underachieved last year. DAL seems to be looking for reinforcements and also underachieved last year.

The Avs are a crazy young team that rode on a high last season (and wanted to prove everyone wrong after that horrific season) and had multiple young guys having career seasons and got a Hart performance from their #1 C. And we still only made the playoffs on the last day of the season.

History tells you that this kind of team should certainly not trade its 1st right now if the GM has any sense because odds are it won't end all that well.

Avs are not contenders who can afford to toss around 1st rounders.

I see what you're saying. There's no guarantee they'll make the playoffs this year, the main reason I figured they could pay a first is because they have Ottawa's. Like I've said tho, it can be a different team getting Johnson, maybe Columbus or Dallas. Thanks for the constructive feedback btw.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
That's fine by me, I figured Colorado needed forward depth and included them in the trade to fill that need. I have no doubt that a team like Dallas or Columbus would pay that price.

Whoever get TJ will get him at a reduced price. Most likely a 2nd and a mid prospect because everyone knows TBL will need to clear cap and TJs massive NTC will prevent them from getting any substantial return for him. His play the past few years also makes taking on that much term left on his deal something that teams would really have to commit too which I don't see as too enticing.

Also a reason why a 3 way trade for the teams is silly. TB will need to do a cap clearing move like TJ separately but wont have to for at least another year.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Johnson and Callahan leaving would be doing the Lightning every favor possible. Easily their most expendable players.

Taking Johnson is not doing us a favor. He’s a top six C/RW who was our 1C during two deep playoff runs and one of the top playoff scorers in the league over a few year span. We are fortunate to have impressive depth that makes him expendable for the right price but he is the furthest thing from a cap dump.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
It's no longer a matter of "if" Karlsson will be traded it's now "when." Colorado doesn't need to involve itself to make sure that happens.

Fair enough, Colorado isn't essential to the proposal. They're only there because Johnson won't waive for Ottawa. They're there because I think TJ fits a need for them. It doesn't really have a lot to do with them wanting Karlsson to leave. It's similar to NSH getting Turris, to find a team that needs him and can add value to the trade.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Whoever get TJ will get him at a reduced price. Most likely a 2nd and a mid prospect because everyone knows TBL will need to clear cap and TJs massive NTC will prevent them from getting any substantial return for him. His play the past few years also makes taking on that much term left on his deal something that teams would really have to commit too which I don't see as too enticing.

Also a reason why a 3 way trade for the teams is silly. TB will need to do a cap clearing move like TJ separately but wont have to for at least another year.

Ok, that's fair I guess. I do believe someone will pay a 1st for Johnson but if that's not Colorado then whatever.

It was only made a 3 way trade for convenience's sake. TB would want to clear that cap space as they take Karlsson, in case there's no market for taking on Johnson/Callahan.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Ottawa will trade Karlsson either way, so no need for Avs to get involved in the trade.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Didn't you just imply you wanted McDavid for Point a couple of posts ago?

No, they were talking about Point on top of Sergachev, Raddysh, and everything else mentioned in the OP. If we’re giving up all that which includes two elite young players still on their ELCs we damn well better be getting McDavid or Dahlin.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Ottawa will trade Karlsson either way, so no need for Avs to get involved in the trade.

The need for the Avs is to get Tyler Johnson, because they need forward depth.

What if you moved Callahan to Colorado and dropped either COLs prospect or first? Is that closer?

That's fine, but then TB has to pay even more assets that they don't really have. Colorado is there to turn Johnson into assets that Ottawa would want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad