Proposal: 3-way deal TBL-COL-OTT

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
EDIT: Changed TBL 2nd to 1st, COL 1st to 2nd

I posted this on CapFriendly and I got mixed reception. I'd like to see how it's received here.

Ottawa gets
Ryan Callahan (Cap dump)
Cal Foote
Taylor Raddysh
Nicolas Meloche
Colorado 2019 2nd
Tampa Bay 2020 1st

Tampa Bay gets
Erik Karlsson

Colorado gets
Tyler Johnson

Tampa Bay resigns Karlsson 11 x 8. Some people were questioning if Johnson would waive his NTC but I figure getting more minutes on a promising young team would be a favourable scenario for him.

Tampa Bay gets to dump Callahans contract, and trades Johnson so that they only actually add 1.2M to their cap after resigning Karlsson. This leaves them with enough cap space to resign Kucherov, Point and Vasilevskiy. Theassets from trading Johnson prevent TB from completely gutting their pipeline. Colorado gets a good 2nd line centre to pad their depth and ease Jost, Kerfoot, etc into top 6 roles. Ottawa gets a good collection of picks and prospects to kick off their rebuild. Not having a pick this year will hurt a lot but after that they're in a pretty decent position, all things considered.

After this, I figure Tampa can do something around Stralman for Simmonds, because Tampa would have an excess of top 4 defenseman and would need RWs. They're both similarly aged and upcoming UFAs.

Last edited:

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Oh my, Colorado gets absolutely fleeced. OTT 1st AND Timmins for Tyler Johnson??

Like I said, it doesn't have to be Timmins, Meloche is there in the proposal if that works better. Also it's not the Ottawa 1st lmao. It says Colorado 1st, which will be around 15 - 20. Read the proposal before responding.

Avs give up a 1st and their 2/3rd best defensive prospect for Tyler Johnson!? TBL doesn’t even give up a 1st?!

TBL don’t pay enough
COL pays too much

Tampa Bay doesn't have a first to give, they can't realistically go 3 years without picking in the first round. They're giving up 2 former first rounders tho in Raddysh and Foote.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Why? Mid 1st + B prospect seems reasonable to me for a good 2nd line centre on a great contract.
Colorado is already taking on TJ's cap to help facilitate a trade between the two teams. We aren't going to also include our 1st round pick for next year, as well as one of our best defensive prospects just to get Tyler Johnson in return. If we have to pay extra to help Tampa get Karlsson, I imagine Sakic is willing to sit on his hands and wait it out without giving up extra young talent.

Reactions: MacBradley

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Avs are not going to pay all that for a minor upgrade on Kerfoot. Swap out TJ for Serg and there is interest.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Sens have no interest in Foote. Swap him to a good prospect and its OK. Sergachev is a must.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
1) This deal is crazy with how terrible it is for Col
2) Its even more crazy if you think Ott is getting anything other than a lowball offer.

Like there is wishful thinking but this is straight out denial and its pretty sad to see.

Take out all the Col assets and go from there.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Colorado is already taking on TJ's cap to help facilitate a trade between the two teams. We aren't going to also include our 1st round pick for next year, as well as one of our best defensive prospects just to get Tyler Johnson in return. If we have to pay extra to help Tampa get Karlsson, I imagine Sakic is willing to sit on his hands and wait it out without giving up extra young talent.

Wouldn't Colorado be inclined to help get Karlsson out of Ottawa, especially to a team in the same division? They have Ottawa's 1st. Just because Colorado is helping TB, doesn't mean they shouldn't pay full value for a good player.
Johnson has a full NMC. Don't see him waving

Like I said in the OP, Johnson will be on a good young team and playing more minutes, I don't think that will be a problem.

Avs are not going to pay all that for a minor upgrade on Kerfoot. Swap out TJ for Serg and there is interest.

Johnson is more than a minor upgrade on Kerfoot, he can also play RW too. Also, a mid first and B prospect doesn't even come close to Sergachev lmao.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Callahan's agent's office........

Does Callahan have an NTC?

Sens have no interest in Foote. Swap him to a good prospect and its OK. Sergachev is a must.

lol Vegas wouldn't even pay Cody Glass. You're kidding yourself if you think you're getting Sergachev. Foote is a very good prospect. He's also not the only player in the deal.

1) This deal is crazy with how terrible it is for Col
2) Its even more crazy if you think Ott is getting anything other than a lowball offer.

Like there is wishful thinking but this is straight out denial and its pretty sad to see.

Take out all the Col assets and go from there.

I think you're the one here who's in denial. Remove all of COL's assets? Why? You don't think they should pay fair value for a top 6 centre on a good contract? Avs fans seem to massively overvalue their prospects. How is this terrible for Colorado? because they pay fair value? This is ridiculous.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Seems like COL was only included in this to help OTT and TB. Ottawa gets a decent return for Karlsson IMO and TB doesn't lose any pieces they really don't want to lose, but a lot of it is at the expense of COL who would have no incentive to do this.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I have dubious faith in the Avs making the playoffs next year. Hence no interest in seeing the Avs’ 1st moves unless we’ll protected. Not too keen on their involvement in this idea anyway

Ottawa isn’t getting enough, Tampa is giving up too little IMO

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

lol Vegas wouldn't even pay Cody Glass. You're kidding yourself if you think you're getting Sergachev. Foote is a very good prospect. He's also not the only player in the deal.

I think you're the one here who's in denial. Remove all of COL's assets? Why? You don't think they should pay fair value for a top 6 centre on a good contract? Avs fans seem to massively overvalue their prospects. How is this terrible for Colorado? because they pay fair value? This is ridiculous.

Your posts speak to your own knowledge for themselves. There's nothing I need to say in rebuttal. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah, has to submit a team trade list. Pretty sure Ottawa won't be on there. Him going back to the Rangers makes the most sense, they have the cap, he would approve a trade there, and they need his leadership and grit, and they can get some assets for helping Tampa take some cap off. Won't be a crazy amount of assets since he is really not a cap dump and still an effective player.

Also to add, Yzerman has not asked him for his list this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad