Pre-Game Talk: (3) Washington Capitals VS (6) New York Rangers (Schedule in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
There is a reason Glen Sather has been our GM for so long, too.

Sometimes people make ****** decisions.

I don't know a single person who likes Buck, who's twice as bad as Doc.

The people who decide who does the games like him. I'll ask you, did you turn off the WS or NFC Championship game because you do not like Buck? Know anyone who did?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
The people who decide who does the games like him. I'll ask you, did you turn off the WS or NFC Championship game because you do not like Buck? Know anyone who did?

I know a lot of people who mute their television because of bad broadcasting. What's your point? People enjoy sports enough to suffer through Emerick or Buck?

I'm not an Emerick fan at all but I watch games he does because I have no other option, as soon as I find another option I'll definitely take it. Hell I may even set up a proxy so I can watch TSN feeds instead.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
There is a reason Emerick was the #1 broadcaster for Fox, then NBC, now NBCS. Same for Buck with Fox. Criticize when it is warranted. THe criticism of Emerick and Buck is laughable.

So essentially any opinion that differs from Fox and NBC is laughable? Wow I think you lend WAY too much credit to the decision makers at TV networks who are notorious for being complete morons. That doesn't mean I think Doc is bad or boring it just means your reasoning is something I definitely disagree with. TV execs and program directors are not synonymous with competence and sound decision making...if anything it's the oppossite.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012

When Giants, Redskins, and Eagles fans are saying Aikman was the highlight of the broadcast, you know something is terribly wrong.

16 To Stanley*

Brassard has never played in the playoffs. He had a shoulder injury when Columbus got swept in 2009. Moore was drafted when Columbus lost to the Wings. Last season was DZ's first playoff experience. He didn't play in 2011. Stepan is the key. Richards is a good playoff player. Stepan had 1 goal and 8 assists last spring. That's not good enough.

I agree, but Stepan is nowhere close to the player he was last season. And I'd rather have Nash as our horse than Gaborik.

I'm really worried having Eminger in the lineup. I know he's been solid, but that's my biggest concern right now. Hoping Staal can make it back for at least game 2. Even if he doesn't play big minutes, he will be a much better option. McD and Girardi will need to be awesome.

Also, Stralman really stepped up in our run last year. Hoping he is one of those guys that thrives in the playoffs. I know i'll be lambasted for this, but Boyle is also one of those guys and we will miss him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I agree, but Stepan is nowhere close to the player he was last season. And I'd rather have Nash as our horse than Gaborik.

I'm really worried having Eminger in the lineup. I know he's been solid, but that's my biggest concern right now. Hoping Staal can make it back for at least game 2. Even if he doesn't play big minutes, he will be a much better option. McD and Girardi will need to be awesome.

Also, Stralman really stepped up in our run last year. Hoping he is one of those guys that thrives in the playoffs. I know i'll be lambasted for this, but Boyle is also one of those guys and we will miss him.

Eminger > Bickel

Staal >>>>>>> Eminger

Staal is close, but even Eminger is better than Bickel who was last years #6

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Eminger hasn't done anything this season to make me worried about him logging 10 minutes a game.

They won't have him, or Stralman out against OV. Its going to be 95% Girardi.

If I'm worried about anything, its MDZ's propensity towards giveaways resulting n odd man rushes the other way.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Eminger hasn't done anything this season to make me worried about him logging 10 minutes a game.

They won't have him, or Stralman out against OV. Its going to be 95% Girardi.

If I'm worried about anything, its MDZ's propensity towards giveaways resulting n odd man rushes the other way.

We need Del Zotto for the playoffs, not Del Zaster. Hopefully the former shows up.

16 To Stanley*

Moore > Eminger

Staal>>>>Moore

I'd much rather have Staal/Bickel than Moore/Eminger.

I'd much rather have Staal/Moore than either of those options.

Edit: This is not a knock on Moore. I think he will be a very good D-man for us for quite a while.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
True words. Hoping to hear some good news on Staal and/or Dorsett today :nod:

Still non contact jersey for Dorsett. I am shocked he hasn't fully healed yet. I thought for sure he would play the final game vs NJ and here we are almost 5 days later and we can only hope he will be ready for game 1 or 2. Not saying he is gonna make a Staal like difference, but we need the depth and extra grittiness.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Still non contact jersey for Dorsett. I am shocked he hasn't fully healed yet. I thought for sure he would play the final game vs NJ and here we are almost 5 days later and we can only hope he will be ready for game 1 or 2. Not saying he is gonna make a Staal like difference, but we need the depth and extra grittiness.

Agreed. I'm hoping for a return in Game 3 at this point. Anything before then will be gravy. Not expecting either Boyle or Clowe this entire series :(

Can't bet let down if you expect the worst ;)

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
Agreed. I'm hoping for a return in Game 3 at this point. Anything before then will be gravy. Not expecting either Boyle or Clowe this entire series :(

Can't bet let down if you expect the worst ;)

Yep exactly. I am expecting the roster we have right now and nothing more. Just gonna have to go and battle with the healthy guys we have. I hope Kreider steps up cause now it seems like no doubt he will get top 9 forward minutes. I hope he clicks with Brassard.
Oh and just a fun fact as pointed out by Brooks in the post today Kreider is actually 5th among current playoff goal scorers on the roster (Staal is tied with him).

16 To Stanley*

Kreider has looked good with more ice time. He just needs to be utilized properly.

Fleury4ever

Mar 20, 2011
Washington, DC
I have always liked Jim Hughson. He's probably my favorite hockey broadcaster.

A thousand times yes to all those guys, Thorne, Hughson, and Clement. I like Pang & Pierre as well on color/ random dude at ice level. Steve Levy wasn't so bad, probably been a decade since he did hockey PBP now.

16 To Stanley*

A thousand times yes to all those guys, Thorne, Hughson, and Clement. I like Pang & Pierre as well on color/ random dude at ice level. Steve Levy wasn't so bad, probably been a decade since he did hockey PBP now.

I just don't like how Pierre gets obsessed with guys. Even if it's our own. He literally praises McD like he's god everytime we play. It drives me nuts. Especially since he's had some bad games on NBC.

Pang is pretty good, but not utilized enough. Can't stand Emrick.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I really hope injuries aren't our downfall.

I think this team is good enough to go very far...our big names will be tested with three of our regular forwards out. Hopefully they answer the call.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You're not looking to win the series on the road the first two games, anyways. Both the Rangers and Caps have a large discrepancy between home and road games.

Don't go down 0-2. It's the key in any series, but when you're on the road a split is a good target.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
While I can appreciate Doc, respect his professionalism and accuracy - I can't stand his voice. I goes right through me. No doubt that his call is tainted for me considering he was the Devils guy for so many years, so i'm definitely biased...

BUT from an objective point of view, and I'm dead serious about this - Even though he is regarded as one of the best in the biz, the NHL seems to put all of its eggs in one basket by having him do EVERY big game, EVERY Olympics, etc. For a non-hockey fan watching, his voice is very annoying. I've heard this from many people.

So i dont necessarily think that he's the best choice for EVERY game, because the new fans the NHL are trying to attract are going to be watching the National games on NBC and some may not be able to take his voice or "get" his call because he's a bit of an "acquired taste"

Agreed. I don't care if an announcer gets every technicality right or if he mispronounces someone's name. Part of it for me is the aesthetic of the sound of the voice, whether the announcer is exciting.

To me, no one has ever beaten Gary Thorne for hockey in this respect.

Kershaw

WTF, I thought we played today?

Now I have no excuse to be unproductive.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
You're not looking to win the series on the road the first two games, anyways. Both the Rangers and Caps have a large discrepancy between home and road games.

Don't go down 0-2. It's the key in any series, but when you're on the road a split is a good target.

100% agree.

In fact, you want to take the 1st game on the road as that puts a ton of pressure on the opposing team in their own building.

1-1 split is great, but taking game one in uge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad