Pre-Game Talk: (3) Washington Capitals VS (6) New York Rangers (Schedule in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Huge first game tomorrow. I hope the Rangers are ready for it, just gotta play hard and take it one game at a time! set the tone for the game and series early!

I think we see a relaxed determined lundqvist in net and great efforts from all and better performances from Stepan (than last yrs playoffs)and kreider (than this season).

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I find it hysterical that so many people on here are experts in analyzing which play-by-play guys and analysts are good/bad. Maybe you guys should contact the networks and get hired to make the decision of who gets which games?

People do have opinions.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I find it hysterical that so many people on here are experts in analyzing which play-by-play guys and analysts are good/bad. Maybe you guys should contact the networks and get hired to make the decision of who gets which games?

Lighten up, Francis. We're just killing the time before the start of the series. There's only so much analysis that you can do. We usually keep things pretty tightly on topic on our board; we're just having a little fun. Things get serious when the GDT comes up.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

I guess you have never critized any product in your entire life. Life must be good when everything tastes great.

cjc5103

Jan 21, 2013
Washington DC
If Bill Clement commentated these games I'd be very happy. Awesome guy to listen to commentate.

Nobody has any love for Gary Thorne? Loved that guy when he used to do the NHL games on ESPN. I'm pretty sure he does baseball and college hockey games now.

Someone back me up on this one...

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Nobody has any love for Gary Thorne? Loved that guy when he used to do the NHL games on ESPN. I'm pretty sure he does baseball and college hockey games now.

Someone back me up on this one...

Ill take Thorne and Clement over pretty much anyone other than Sam and JD.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
And while we're at it we should just stop discussing hockey and play the games ourselves! I'll get Bettman on the line!

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

So I guess nobody should ever criticize GMs, coaches, owners, bosses, or politicians either, huh?

Exactly! You've just created the perfect broadcaster. We need to start a Doc Buck breeding program now.

Of course, we'll probably just end up with an incredibly boring broadcaster with an extensive vocabulary.

That... would be a nightmare. Imagine Buck saying "waffleboard" and "My goodness."

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I'm interested to see Hagelin in the playoffs. He was really good before he got suspended for the hit on Alfredsson and then seemed a little timid when he came back. Need to see more of the pre-supension Hagelin.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
So I guess nobody should ever criticize GMs, coaches, owners, bosses, or politicians either, huh?

That... would be a nightmare. Imagine Buck saying "waffleboard" and "My goodness."

There is a reason Emerick was the #1 broadcaster for Fox, then NBC, now NBCS. Same for Buck with Fox. Criticize when it is warranted. THe criticism of Emerick and Buck is laughable.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brassard has never played in the playoffs. He had a shoulder injury when Columbus got swept in 2009. Moore was drafted when Columbus lost to the Wings. Last season was DZ's first playoff experience. He didn't play in 2011. Stepan is the key. Richards is a good playoff player. Stepan had 1 goal and 8 assists last spring. That's not good enough.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
While I can appreciate Doc, respect his professionalism and accuracy - I can't stand his voice. I goes right through me. No doubt that his call is tainted for me considering he was the Devils guy for so many years, so i'm definitely biased...

BUT from an objective point of view, and I'm dead serious about this - Even though he is regarded as one of the best in the biz, the NHL seems to put all of its eggs in one basket by having him do EVERY big game, EVERY Olympics, etc. For a non-hockey fan watching, his voice is very annoying. I've heard this from many people.

So i dont necessarily think that he's the best choice for EVERY game, because the new fans the NHL are trying to attract are going to be watching the National games on NBC and some may not be able to take his voice or "get" his call because he's a bit of an "acquired taste"

bogans

Mar 24, 2007
Philly
I'm interested to see Hagelin in the playoffs. He was really good before he got suspended for the hit on Alfredsson and then seemed a little timid when he came back. Need to see more of the pre-supension Hagelin.

Good point, I'm also interested to see hopefully the return of the puck possession Hagelin from earlier in the season where he would twist this direction, then that one, then back the other way, then back again until finally the defenseman got tired of following him and gave him the space to shoot or find an open man. Haggy seemed a bit tired in the second half, but I think he'll get his legs under him for the playoffs.

That said, I believe the key to this series will be staying out of the penalty box. Giving Washington too many chances up a man will kill the New York Rangers even if they do have good PK'ers, especially without Boyler. The Craps are totally beatable if you do not give them too many opporunities with the man advantage.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Brassard will come up huge for this team. Mark my words.

The Caps are going to want to focus on Nash, Stepan, Cally, and Richards. Brass is going to be the one that gets the better matchups on defense and will make the best of them. Look for Kreider to pot a couple gimmes thanks to his work and vision.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
There is a reason Emerick was the #1 broadcaster for Fox, then NBC, now NBCS. Same for Buck with Fox. Criticize when it is warranted. THe criticism of Emerick and Buck is laughable.
That's horrible logic. Hockey players get payed millions to play the sport of hockey. Does that mean they're free from criticism?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
While I can appreciate Doc, respect his professionalism and accuracy - I can't stand his voice. I goes right through me. No doubt that his call is tainted for me considering he was the Devils guy for so many years, so i'm definitely biased...

BUT from an objective point of view, and I'm dead serious about this - Even though he is regarded as one of the best in the biz, the NHL seems to put all of its eggs in one basket by having him do EVERY big game, EVERY Olympics, etc. For a non-hockey fan watching, his voice is very annoying. I've heard this from many people.

So i dont necessarily think that he's the best choice for EVERY game, because the new fans the NHL are trying to attract are going to be watching the National games on NBC and some may not be able to take his voice or "get" his call because he's a bit of an "acquired taste"

Oh ok, NEW fans aren't going to watch because of Emerick. SUUUUUUUURE. Are you talking about young kids? 20-somethings who are just being introduced to the game? If it is the kids you are worried about, maybe they can have the guy who does the voice of a popular cartoon character call the game? If you really think ratings will drop because people do not like the announcer, than I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you. When JD first left, people complained ad nauseum about biringing in Michelletti. I have grown tired of Sam Rosen, sure not going to stop watching Rangers games because I do not like him.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
That's horrible logic. Hockey players get payed millions to play the sport of hockey. Does that mean they're free from criticism?

Do you need to be tutored in reading comprehension? I said, WHEN IT IS WARRANTED. I did not say do not criticize.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

There is a reason Glen Sather has been our GM for so long, too.

Sometimes people make ****** decisions.

I don't know a single person who likes Buck, who's twice as bad as Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad