Prospect Info: #3 Overall Pick Discussion - Part 3

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
A lot of Strome's advanced stats predict a regression next year and my eye test alone shows a guy who really struggles to stop and start. In his own zone he can really get worked over by guys with good edge work. I see him as a 2C that needs to be sheltered a bit until he improves that area.

Agree here, reason to take Turcotte imo if he's a true #1 caliber center...Not that Strome cannot address these weaknesses, but Turcotte sort of hedges that risk that he doesn't. Toews/Strome/Turcotte down the middle for the next 5 years would be elite.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Just as we get young quality players we want to trade them for younger players we could pick additional to Strom.
Draft is not for need, draft is all about BPA. You worry about position fit later, until then needs will change.
It'll come down to Turcotte or Byram. That's a C and a D. That's a luxury and not a problem, could always trade if needed.
Turcotte would be bottom 6 C until he is fully grown and has more experience. If better than advertised you just roll 3 top6 Centers. That's not a problem.
Same with Bowen. He starts on LD3 until he is good enough to change rolls with then older Keith.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Just asking ............. why not Cozens? Big, Fast great hands ..... solidify the centers for years .... Toews, Strom, Cozens down the middle

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Strome isn't a Saad type player who hangs up the skates for the summer. He's like Kane who lives and breathes hockey all year round. Strome isn't going to all of a sudden start coasting by once he gets paid. He's been playing top level hockey almost his entirely life and never got paid bucks to do so. He plays well because he loves the game, not because he loves money.

Saad skated a lot last summer.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Cozens at three wouldn’t be great, but Kevin’s meltdown would be epic. ;)

He’s not as bad as Kevin claims. I’m not a fan of him at 3, but he’s not the dumpster fire Kevin makes him out to be.

Has more points than Pelletier, fwiw.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Just asking ............. why not Cozens? Big, Fast great hands ..... solidify the centers for years .... Toews, Strom, Cozens down the middle

Because there’s questions about his hockey IQ and whether he can stick at C. I’m one of the ones who really likes Cozens but even I’m not taking him top-5.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I think it’ll come down to Byram, Turcotte, and Krebs at 3. I think we love Krebs’ hockey IQ and leadership ability, which are both qualities we value highly. Even so, I don’t think we take him over Byram or Turcotte. I’d be happy with any of those guys but Krebs would definitely be shocking for a lot of people at #3.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Byram and Turcotte are the only two I'd be happy with. I think they're the only ones that cleanly project to #1C/D, even if Turcotte has some injury concerns.

Still on the Byram train but wouldn't be very disappointed with Turcotte. Anyone else I'd be very disappointed with.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But a monkey wrench thrown in...Zegras played wing on the Hughes -Caufield #1 line for USA u-18 ...his 5assists today were indicative of special playmaker/vision/set-up skill ...Usually you would say anybody playing with Hughes and Caufield will pick up points...but Zegras did not pick up cheap secondary assists ...rather primary reasons 4 goals were scored on his set-ups 3 combined by Hughes and Caufield and he also made a slick set-up at the offensive blue line to send in Brinks aline for his goal ...

Craig Button said he would take Zegras at #3 (I guess his way of saying BPA)...The question is ...what could Zegras be if he was given a top line C chance ?

Different types of players. ..we know what Turcotte and Krebs bring ...high compete good skating grit and some scoring ability with Krebs perhaps having better hockey sense and Turcotte living at the crease a kit ...and 2 way play..So no problem with either as 3C material but can they be a top 1C eventually ? BUT maybe Zegras has a higher points ceiling to drive a top line offensively ...less on the 200 ft play but he might not be that bad defending either ..

No doubt...Zegras gotvtobthebparty late at the views ..but he has been impressive since he got in and put onto their top line. Innate hockey sense and vision and makes sensational plays. ..also has very good speed .

This is a tough decision for what Stan should do..We can only have 1 of these 3 ...and Button may be correct...Zegras could have the highest upside of them all (of course Stan could take Byram and avoid the you should have taken---------------at as a potential C help pick instead of who he did pick at C....but I still say when you pick at #3 you need to grab a C help when you get the opportunity. ..else you risk future lineups with too little talent or flaws in their games down the middle.. Last time Hawks picked a top C candidate it was Toews and that got bus 3 Cups. ..Who thinks we will draft this high again soon?

We at minimum nerd a 3C solution soon ..We will need a 1C replacement for toes in 4-5 years down the line ...earlier if he regressrs back to the poor play of 2017/18 and 2016/17 by returning to Country Club play instead ofbh8s re-comittmentnof 2018/19...So it is vital we add the right C to our pipeline when we gave this wonderful chance.

Of neither Turcotte nor Krebs is "generational" like Jack ...so be it. .but if they can at first give us a much better threat as a 3C for a few years and then be able to develop to take over line 1 at at least a Toews top level ..then that would be great.If however Stan and Kelley think the Zegras ceiling if he plays C would be highest of all ..he could be the bone they take.

If I see 4 mire great plays from him like I saw today. .it might be hard to bypass that kind big top impact on a game.

So maybe Button is correct ...Zegras may have the most impact once he is ready with more filling out .

You have to consider who could help so ones because the window in Toews and Lane will only have 4-5 more prime years at this point the ...but you also mist think is Zegras going to be special in a few years .

Hard to know which way is best to go...200ft Cs or maybe a top level impact guy to drive scoring into stratosphere ...a lot may depend on how well they think he would play in the middle. ..of course 1 more consideration. .If after 1 yr in college Zegras turns pro and impacts to some 90 ptsvguy ..then 3 years after his ELC starts he will demand the big big bucks.. Maybe better to go with Turcotte or Krebs who would probably be just 60-70 pt guys especially if just 3C duty and not on top Pp. ..so 2nd contracts probably much more liveable. .maybe 3 year bridge deals ..and by 3rd co tractbonlybthen could they move up line and maybe get paid as 1C or 2 C rate.

Anyway lots for Stan to chew on.
What type of forward/ does he want for 1 year out? What ceiling would the player have 5 years out and beyond?

Do we want more grit bd balanced d 200ft hsard on the puck early Toews-like guy do we want the next Kane playmaker magician?

Tough decision.

Reactions: d rake

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I should add, if they took some like Krebs or Zegras at 3, wouldn’t shock me either.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
It’s hilarious because once in every five posts fiddy actually makes a rational thought lol. :laugh:

He’s not wrong about Zegras (at least imo)

Reactions: Cowch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad