Prospect Info: #3 Overall Pick Discussion - Part 3

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah he is always back on defense do to this. He chooses when to cross the blue line very intelligently.

any concerns his offense dries up a bit at the next level? his size seems to be a huge advantage atm to create space and protect the puck...he didn't really do anything to stand out in OT, the final PP vancouver had didn't even run through him which was surprising.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
any concerns his offense dries up a bit at the next level? his size seems to be a huge advantage atm to create space and protect the puck...he didn't really do anything to stand out in OT, the final PP vancouver had didn't even run through him which was surprising.
From the times I've seen him, I wouldn't question his scoring or defense. He has a knack for getting to the puck and making smart passes. He also has a darn good shot for a defensemen. I dont believe any of those traits would be affected by a jump in skill-level. His ability to win puck battles and deliver hard checks may decrease until he fills out his frame a bit more though. He's still only 17, 18 in a month.

SMU51

Dachshund Breeder
Jun 30, 2018
Kelley and Co are going to have their hands full these next few weeks. Tough call btw Byram and Turcotte/Cozens/Krebs, can’t say I’m envious but I trust they’ll make the right call and stay true to BPA (*cough* Byram *cough*).

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I wrote this in Bowen's thread on the prospects side of HF, but figured I'd also post it here.

Very impressive season, especially considering he's a late(ish) birthday. A few comparables points wise.

Byram Regular Season: 26g, 45a, 71 total points in 67 games
Byram Playoffs: 8g, 18a, 26 total points in 22 games

Doughty Regular Season: 13g, 37a, 50 total points in 58 games
Doughty Playoffs: 3g, 6a, 9 total points in 10 games

Rielly Regular Season: 3g, 15a, 18 total points in 18 games (injured for good chunk of season)
Rielly Playoffs: 0g, 3a, 3 total points in 5 games

Jones Regular Season: 14g, 42a, 56 total points in 61 games
Jones Playoffs: 5g, 10a, 15 total points in 21 games

And Byram is a June birthday. Rielly's is in March. Doughty has his in December. Jones has his in October. Meaning, Byram outperformed all of them offensively at a younger age (roughly 8 months younger in comparison to Seth Jones).

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I wrote this in Bowen's thread on the prospects side of HF, but figured I'd also post it here.

Very impressive season, especially considering he's a late(ish) birthday. A few comparables points wise.

Byram Regular Season: 26g, 45a, 71 total points in 67 games
Byram Playoffs: 8g, 18a, 26 total points in 22 games

Doughty Regular Season: 13g, 37a, 50 total points in 58 games
Doughty Playoffs: 3g, 6a, 9 total points in 10 games

Rielly Regular Season: 3g, 15a, 18 total points in 18 games (injured for good chunk of season)
Rielly Playoffs: 0g, 3a, 3 total points in 5 games

Jones Regular Season: 14g, 42a, 56 total points in 61 games
Jones Playoffs: 5g, 10a, 15 total points in 21 games

And Byram is a June birthday. Rielly's is in March. Doughty has his in December. Jones has his in October. Meaning, Byram outperformed all of them offensively at a younger age (roughly 8 months younger in comparison to Seth Jones).

impressive indeed, wonder if he is ready for the NHL next year?

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I don't think he should. Defenseman take longer than forwards to develop and he's one of the youngest players in the draft. I'd keep him down for another year.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The biggest thing I question is his age. Obviously he's young (this'll be his first and only NHL draft after all), but he doesn't even turn 18 until a month from now (roughly a week before he hears his name called on stage). Like I said in my previous post, Jones was roughly 8 months older at this same point in time and Doughty was roughly a half a year older. Those months might not seem like a big difference, but it can be huge at that age.

But we are talking about the only WHL defender to win the playoff scoring race, so who honestly f***ing knows. Kid is special, so maybe he'll be an NHLer next season. Time will tell.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I don't think he should. Defenseman take longer than forwards to develop and he's one of the youngest players in the draft. I'd keep him down for another year.

I could see this being the case but I think he’d get every opportunity to earn a roster spot in training camp. Kid is really good. If he doesn’t play in the NHL at 18, I think he plays full time in the NHL at 19 like Heiskanen just did and I think he can make a similar impact.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

It just sucks because I feel he is too good for juniors now but he's also too young to be in the AHL so it's pretty much either sink or swim in the NHL or dominate juniors again but really don't develop as much. I'd love to see he and Boqvist put up video game numbers next season on their junior teams though.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It just sucks because I feel he is too good for juniors now but he's also too young to be in the AHL so it's pretty much either sink or swim in the NHL or dominate juniors again but really don't develop as much. I'd love to see he and Boqvist put up video game numbers next season on their junior teams though.
At least either of Byram or Boqvist are eligible for the 10 game rule. If one of them looks good in preseason, let them play a couple weeks up here. If they handle it, awesome. If they don't, they go back to juniors knowing what it takes to play in the NHL (also they don't burn a year of their ELC, which is always a good thing).

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The biggest thing I question is his age. Obviously he's young (this'll be his first and only NHL draft after all), but he doesn't even turn 18 until a month from now (roughly a week before he hears his name called on stage). Like I said in my previous post, Jones was roughly 8 months older at this same point in time and Doughty was roughly a half a year older. Those months might not seem like a big difference, but it can be huge at that age.

But we are talking about the only WHL defender to win the playoff scoring race, so who honestly ****ing knows. Kid is special, so maybe he'll be an NHLer next season. Time will tell.
What is this? Horse racing? :) You know when we're counting the months, the kid is young.

All being equal, I'm picking a potential 1D over 1C. That said, are we confident Byram can take over for Keith in a 2-3 years ... because that's where we have the hole. That's how we're going to win another Cup.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

giphy.gif

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Flipping back and forth between ‘I want Stan to pick Turcotte’ and ‘I want Stan to pick Byram’ has been tiring...still another month plus to speculate zzzzzz

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Here was the final series stat line on Byram for the 7 games vs. Prince Albert:

1g 7a (3 were primary assists) E in+/- 15 shots on goal=2.14 s/GMC avg...3 of the 7 games without a point.. Only 2 of the 7 games was he a plus at evens.

Hardly the next Bobby Orr or even Drew Doughty..

Took over games? Do not think so...Maybe that 1st game where he was 4assits and+2?

Had 1 other multi-point game in game5 where he got his only goal and1 secondary assist.

Conclusion= maybe no "savioyr" or even a 1D at the next level... Bottom line his talent while good may not be that exceptional compared to other topdmen of other draft classes..

I still do not like his average 6'0 height though weight at over 190 is fine..

But I do not think just because he is the highest ranked dman of this class does not mean he is a better prospect or a helpto the Hawks (whenever that comes) as compared to some of our forward options at Center in this draft.I challenge Nyone to guarantee he is head and shoulders above any of our other alternative options that we have no choice but to take him..not saying g ge will be a bust..but whether he lives uptown his ranking and becomes the best dman of this draft by his prime 3 or 4 years out when matured is fully debatable.. We could see Broberg or Seider become the actual best Dmen picks instead of him.Not saying g that will happen but it easily could happen.. and they are bigger d.men.

How do we know that he did not speak already to excell vs. Juniors but they could excel vs. Men ..We do not know..

So If Hawks want another dman we should either trade down and get a bundle if a team wants to move up to get Byram (being gseduced by the Craig Button hype) OR we should trade Saad to get another 1st ( in the first 12 ) and take Broberg or Seider with that puck after we took a C at #3 (of which I would take Turcotte).

My point is that Byram may not be the solution for us as a difference-maker dman about e and beyond what we already have I the pipeline Dcprps ..but that we Certainly need better much better 3C and 4C contributors who would dramatically shift our bottom 2 lines into both depth scoring g threats and defensively good lines ..

I am arguing we cannot squander the opportunity cost to upgrade the C position with that #3 overall and am not convinced Byram will be a key that turns us into a Cup Winner again..

Also I just wish to say that while Byram of course improved a lot this season,he was awful just a year ago when forecheckers made him cough up pucks too easily for my liking...maybe he has improved on that this season with more poise..but still it sticks in my memory as a potential red flag with him.

I saw Drew Doughty in his draft year...and no way is Byram as good as he was in controlling a game.

So again it may be Byram is viewed by scouts as the top dman prospect of this draft ...but for what Hawks need out of a top dman ,to me that is somebody with Both the size Nd strength to shove guys off pucks ..hit when required...block shots...skate really well and move the puck and blast shots on goal..Byram does not have All the Bove in one package only some of these requirements..

If instead a Seth Jones cline was there at#3 that would be a no brainer ..but Byram is Not a no brainer.There are clear alternatives at afirward Nd particularly at C ...where though there is no Mathews to take there are may e Bergeron or Scheiefele types available and since I do not see Byeam as good as Doufhty was in his draft year.. I say take a C ...it will help our linecstructures make us a contender again once that player gets to the NHL which in any case is not going to be next season...even for Byram if we took him instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad