Prospect Info: #3 Overall Pick Discussion - Part 3

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
Gonna watch these U-18s like a hawk and see if there’s anyone worth taking over Byram. Especially guys like Turcotte, Cozens and Dach. Even Zegras as well. Do we know if Podkolzin is playing for the Russians?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Gonna watch these U-18s like a hawk and see if there’s anyone worth taking over Byram. Especially guys like Turcotte, Cozens and Dach. Even Zegras as well. Do we know if Podkolzin is playing for the Russians?
Pod has been confirmed.

Keep an eye on Spiridonov and Sheshin on the Russian roster. At least one of them could end up a Hawk.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
No. I will do take backs for Manning and Caggiula.

What a dumb trade. Manning. What a joke.
You’re the anti-boxcar. How was he on your board, btw? Interlopers on a board can be so very annoying.

Reactions: Giovi

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Byram is the safest pick Stan can make. If the kid fizzles out nobody will say much about taking him over a forward given most fans are annoyed with the defense group. If he goes forward and Byram is a hit and the forward doesn't pan out or the defense group we have in system doesn't pan out then thats where things could become a pr mess...not to say that stan should care about that but from a job security pov it's low risk to take byram and make the argument we already have high end forwards like toews, kane, strome, cat, saad etc.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I thought I was the crazy one until I read the last several pages of that last thread.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Byram is the safest pick Stan can make. If the kid fizzles out nobody will say much about taking him over a forward given most fans are annoyed with the defense group. If he goes forward and Byram is a hit and the forward doesn't pan out or the defense group we have in system doesn't pan out then thats where things could become a pr mess...not to say that stan should care about that but from a job security pov it's low risk to take byram and make the argument we already have high end forwards like toews, kane, strome, cat, saad etc.

I actually see both Cozens and Byram as safe picks.

The more I read up and watch video on Cozens the more I like.

Speed, skill and size. Above average defensively. He may never be an 80+ point guy, but if he can be a 60-70 point really good defensive forward? Sign me the f up. You can win with that kinda guy. (Especially in the playoffs)

I still say Byram 1 Cozens 2, but the gap is really close for me.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I actually see both Cozens and Byram as safe picks.

The more I read up and watch video on Cozens the more I like.

Speed, skill and size. Above average defensively. He may never be an 80+ point guy, but if he can be a 60-70 point really good defensive forward? Sign me the f up. You can win with that kinda guy. (Especially in the playoffs)

I still say Byram 1 Cozens 2, but the gap is really close for me.

You aren't looking for a 60 point defensive forward at 3.

Reactions: BK

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
You aren't looking for a 60 point defensive forward at 3.

I said 60-70 point. But good for you using the lower figure.

Toews has averaged about 70 points a year while playing good/great defense.

Hell Patrice Bergeron has averaged 66 points per.

You can most definitely take a player like that at 3.

Reactions: G0AT and ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I said 60-70 point. But good for you using the lower figure.

Toews has averaged about 70 points a year while playing good/great defense.

Hell Patrice Bergeron has averaged 66 points per.

You can most definitely take a player like that at 3.

Bergeron and Toews play Selke caliber D not just good.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yep, don't want to land a Toews at #3. Those 60-70 point elite defensive forwards are such a waste of roster space.

If he's going to be the best defender in the league then ok. A 60 point pretty good defender is not what you are looking for. Also the league has changed. There were 55 players this year with 70 or more points. In 11-12 there were 21, in 13-14 and 14-15 there were 19, in 15-16 there were 17. So 60-70 points inst what it used to be.

Reactions: hawksrule

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If he's going to be the best defender in the league then ok. A 60 point pretty good defender is not what you are looking for. Also the league has changed. There were 55 players this year with 70 or more points. In 11-12 there were 21, in 13-14 and 14-15 there were 19, in 15-16 there were 17. So 60-70 points inst what it used to be.

Obviously not at #3. But I doubt you're getting just a "pretty good" 60 point defender at #3 most the time.

Reactions: HawksDub89

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Bergeron and Toews play Selke caliber D not just good.

Fair enough, let’s say he ends up being that caliber, you take that all day every day.

If there’s a selke caliber forward in this draft it’s most likely Turcotte. His hip issue scares the sh*t out of me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad