Prospect Info: #3 Overall Pick Discussion - Part 3

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
What do you guys think of Pierre-luc Dubois?

Fantastic two way forward picked 3rd three drafts ago. Likely has a selke in his future.

I’m just saying...I’d take a player like that at 3.

Obviously this is all just a matter of opinion.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Fantastic two way forward picked 3rd three drafts ago. Likely has a selke in his future.

Hard to win Selke when you are getting 67% O zone starts but only have a 52% corsi. Less takeaways than giveaways too.

Reactions: ChicagoHockeyFan

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Big fan of PLD. The difference here is that PLD is such a natural center. He’s the prototype of what any team would want, size, skill, speed, compete level, durability, IQ. The only weakness to his game is faceoffs, but he should get up to 50% with more experience.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Big fan of PLD. The difference here is that PLD is such a natural center. He’s the prototype of what any team would want, size, skill, speed, compete level, durability, IQ. The only weakness to his game is faceoffs, but he should get up to 50% with more experience.

Is Turcotte a shorter version of PLD?

I’ve been reading more about Turcotte, and man does he sound like a future stud #1C

Reactions: Lemonlimey

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Is Turcotte a shorter version of PLD?

I’ve been reading more about Turcotte, and man does he sound like a future stud #1C

Yeah, it looks like it. I like Turcotte too, seems like he has 1C potential. PLD has a lot of Hossa in him with the way he can use his size to protect the puck, bull through the zone and plant himself around the net. It seems like Turcotte has a similar mentality. It’s just a question of whether his body can hold up to it. PLD has never missed a game.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019

Not trying to be a dick but cozens is nowhere near the level that PLD was on either side of the puck in his draft year. They play way different styles also. Cozens relies on speed and shot in his game PLD is more of a net front guy

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I get what he’s saying. It’d be a real waste to pass on ByrAM and pick a guy who ends up being a Monahan-caliber guy at #3 (Monahan was drafted 6th)
None of these guys are "sure things" though. You may pass on Turcotte, and he turns into Bergeron, or Toews, or Datsyuk, and Byram could bust. It's just the way it goes with prospects.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I feel like Turcotte only due to injury concern. If you took the injury history away, it'd be a tough call.
exactly my call as well esp with the same type of injury. Hips is a vital part of body to have problem let alone a recurring problem.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I have no real horse in this race. On the surface between Byram, Turcotte, Kakko (if he falls), or your father's brother's nephew's Cozen's former roommate, I feel like we're almost splitting hairs over who is better/safer and I'll leave the in-depth analysis to those more familiar with each of their games.

I think between all of them the onus is on Stan to get the guy that has the most short and long-term potential to bring real help to the squad. This does have to take into account not only the good team O, the abyssimal team D, but also the fact that we really have no de facto next #1 in net once Crawford is done--Delia did nothing to secure the keys to the crease this season. Now I'm not saying Stan should take a goalie at #3--in fact he should be given a slow, sheet-lightning enema if he does so. But coupled with the fact that we got quite a few guys looking for a payday at the end of next season and most, if not all of Crawford's 6M should be earmarked for paying for them, that doesn't leave much to pay for a sub-elite or better netminder.

That being said, if the best player available is cut from the same cloth as Kane or Debrincat I'm not against pulling them in, but that would put more pressure on getting backend help in the FA market and shipping out cap to pay for it. Ditto with a Leddy/Gus clone. But between sound D from a d-man and sound D from a forward for pick 3? Both will help tremendously in my opinion. But I believe the key is both long and short-term help--and that's where Stan and his scouts will be in the hot seat. Irrespective of who we get or who is "best" or "better", I think a bust is completely unacceptable. Even if we take Byram (hypothetically), and he ends up being a solid D-man, I won't be upset if hypothetically, Cozens becomes the better player as long as Byram helps the team. But if Byron is a bust it would be inexcusable, even if Cozens, Turcotte, or whomever else were also busts.

Reactions: Cowch

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think Turcotte has a higher floor as worst case he is a 4c (unless injuries come into play). D typically have higher bus potential as is it just a harder position to forecast.
good point and i would like to further add that any chance of getting a potential top pairing d-men at that selection, you go and draft that player.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Also I had a dream about the draft this morning.

Jersey picked Hughes and New York picked Kakko. The dream kind of ended around when Chicago was picking so it wasn't very clear. Filip Zadina came on stage to make the selection on behalf of the Hawks for whatever reason. I'm not sure who he picked, but I was seeing Byram highlights on the broadcast so I'm not sure if that was the pick or if they were just showing a potential pick. Dreams are so muddy sometimes. I'll keep you updated on any future draft dreams.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Who has the higher bust potential, in your opinion, between Byram and Turcotte?
I think the pretty cool thing about both kids is they are both skilled enough away from the puck that if for whatever the reason their offensive game doesn't translate to what many hope for at the NHL level, their defensive capabilities will keep them in the NHL for a long time. Both kids are pretty safe outside of injuries of course. I do like to see that these two really aren't boom/bust type players..you will be getting a NHL player here, just how good is the obvious tough question.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I am not drafting for floor, I am drafting for ceiling. Just want to make that very clear.
but you do have a valid insight to this discussion as i believe everyone else.

for me, i like to listen to opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad