Prospect Info: #3 Overall Pick Discussion - Part 3

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I’m no scout, but I’ve gone from absolutely no doubt the pick is Byram to considering Turcotte.

Join us Ray... there's room...
7LnDfK5.gif

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
All I can think about lately is Turcotte and what he can potentially mean to this franchise.

I’m becoming more torn between him and Byram.
and rightfully so, it has been him and Byram since the start of the year as guys in that 3/4 range..that is why I say trading down is pure madness, this opportunity only comes around once a decade..

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Well Giants won, Byram didnt get on the score sheet, but his defense is legit. Always seems to be in the right spot, wins puck battles, and seems aggressive while he's out there.

He also drew two penalties, drove guys into the boards every chance he had, and talked a lot of smack all night.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Maybe instead of debating turcotte versus byram we should be utilizing rooh and get the rags to pass on kakko
You're going to kill yourself with sadness if you keep trying to make this idea seem possible. :P

I'd go Byram or Turcotte in your shoes. There is still a good amount of time for someone to truly breakout in that 3rd spot.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Man, would it suck to pass on Byram and see him develop into the next Kieth.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
All I can think about lately is Turcotte and what he can potentially mean to this franchise.

I’m becoming more torn between him and Byram.

I don't know about you but I trust whatever decision Bowman and Kelley make. I haven't watched these guys play and have any kind of educated opinion. I was skeptical of the Boqvist pick last year and like many wanted Wahlstrom. Now it seem like Boqvist was the better pick. I wanted Berggren with the Hawks 2nd first rounder last year and Beaudin is looking like a very solid pick while Berggren has done nothing, granted he's been hurt but still. So whoever it is, I'll be excited.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I think the only way you take Turcotte is if he's head and shoulders above Byram in potential due to his injury history. Given that people are saying that Turcotte projects to 1C and Byram 1D, I'd say they project to be about equally as valuable. Byram, to me, then has the edge because he has no injury issues compared to Turcotte.

For those considering Turcotte, what about him makes him seem that much better than Byram that you're willing to overlook his injuries?

Reactions: LDF

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I think the only way you take Turcotte is if he's head and shoulders above Byram in potential due to his injury history. Given that people are saying that Turcotte projects to 1C and Byram 1D, I'd say they project to be about equally as valuable. Byram, to me, then has the edge because he has no injury issues compared to Turcotte.

For those considering Turcotte, what about him makes him seem that much better than Byram that you're willing to overlook his injuries?
I'm all for Byram .. the only niggling issue is when I look at our prospects we don't have any elite forwards coming up through the ranks while we have Mitchell, Boqvist, Beaudin etc for D ripening on the vine.
Barrett, Wise, Entwistle etc are all more than likely bottom six players. Kurashev may end up being a top six forward but then again it's not a for sure.
Turcotte is tempting because of that Bergeron comparison or even a Toews replacement which we will be needing in 3 years or so ...

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I'm all for Byram .. the only niggling issue is when I look at our prospects we don't have any elite forwards coming up through the ranks while we have Mitchell, Boqvist, Beaudin etc for D ripening on the vine.
Barrett, Wise, Entwistle etc are all more than likely bottom six players. Kurashev may end up being a top six forward but then again it's not a for sure.
Turcotte is tempting because of that Bergeron comparison or even a Toews replacement which we will be needing in 3 years or so ...

I get the premise but I'd say that we have more of a concrete future at F than at D. We already have 2 top-6 guys who are 21/22, one of which is a C. It's also easier to get top 6 forwards IMO. In addition, I think having a strong D-core and dealing a top 4 D for top 6 C makes more sense than doing it the other way around. In addition to that and Turcotte's injury, I'm not sure if he's the way to go.

Reactions: LDF

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
as awesome as this pick is to have, the amount of pressure on it has to be massive for Kelley and Bowman. #3 is one of the trickier picks, I don't have fear we won't get a real good player, but overthink this or not think it enough and you could lose out on a HOF player in the very next pick.

Turcotte is showing he is healthy and that was most of our concerns...I still have Byram at #3, but I can easily see it the other way around- Turcotte has been a force most of the year, his injuries/illness is the only thing that has dropped him at all...and when you see something like that you don't want to be the team that doesn't pick the kid based off of this IF he is your BPA..

the more I truly honestly think about it, I do feel Turcotte will be the Hawks pick for a number of reasons. Turcotte gives us a top line center which is something we have lacked since we drafted Toews..hard to pass on that even with my love for Byram as well.

Toews
Strome
Turcotte
Barratt

that can be our top 4 centers in 2 years - Kampf can go to the wing..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad