Series Discussion: (3) Dallas Stars vs (6) Calgary Flames

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Tkachuk is a gamer. He played in the Memorial Cup with a broken ankle, he won’t be out.

If it was just the groin and testicles I would agree with you but Chucky does not play around with head injuries. He got his bell rung very badly when Benn hit him from behind.

Knowing what we know now about concussions Matthew should only play if there is ZERO symptoms.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Can they please break up Gaudreau and Monahan? For God's sake I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

If Tkachuk is out, move Monahan to 2nd LW. Bennett centers the top line, Ryan centers the third line, Jankowski centers the fourth.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Can they please break up Gaudreau and Monahan? For God's sake I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

If Tkachuk is out, move Monahan to 2nd LW. Bennett centers the top line, Ryan centers the third line, Jankowski centers the fourth.
Monahan is the best center on the team. There is no way he is being moved to LW. Gaudreau just sucks in the playoffs and is holding mony back in my opinion.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Gaudreau-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Reider-Monahan-Lindholm
Quine-Ryan-Jankowski

If Tkachuk is gonna be out of the lineup, I’d like to see something like this. Split up Monahan and Gaudreau, it’s clearly not working. Put Gaudreau in Chucky’s usual spot to get him with some players who give 100% every shift and hopefully get him going. Obviously you don’t split up the line that’s driving the bus right now. Give Monahan and Lindholm a speedster who can draw defenders to him, and insert Quine to give you three centers to play with on the fourth line.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
They're both passengers. Just make lines that can gut-out goals. The team lineup isn't based on Gaudreau or your Gaudreau fetish.

Neither players are passengers, they just aren't effective linemates, especially in the playoffs.

- Monahan doesn't have the speed and skill to execute controlled zone exits or entries in tight checking games. That means no clean breakouts, getting hemmed in defensively, and dump and chase hockey.
- Gaudreau doesn't have the size to be effective at dump and chase hockey. His game is all about controlled exits/entries.

The solution is simple, and has nothing to do with me being a Gaudreau fan.
- Move Monahan to the wing where he doesn't have to be relied upon to carry the mail.
- Give Gaudreau a high motor puck carrying center (Sam Bennett) and all of the sudden he'll have the puck a lot more in dangerous scoring areas. We saw a bit of that last game.

If no Tkachuk:
Gaudreau - Bennett - Lindholm
Monahan - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
Reider - Jankowski - Robinson

With Tkachuk:
Gaudreau - Bennett - Monahan
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Lindholm - Dube
Jankowski - Ryan - Reider

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
- Monahan doesn't have the speed and skill to execute controlled zone exits or entries in tight checking games. That means no clean breakouts, getting hemmed in defensively, and dump and chase hockey.
- Gaudreau doesn't have the size to be effective at dump and chase hockey. His game is all about controlled exits/entries.

- Move Monahan to the wing where he doesn't have to be relied upon to carry the mail.
- Give Gaudreau a high motor puck carrying center (Sam Bennett) and all of the sudden he'll have the puck a lot more in dangerous scoring areas. We saw a bit of that last game.

It really is this simple. I don't know why no one sees it but the two of us. Not the fanbase nor the coaching staff. Hartley kind of saw it, but Hiller sunk his career.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gaudreau needs a wakeup call. He needs to be demoted off the first line. He's not an asset out there, 5v5, the way he's playing.
Perhaps the Flames should get a big cardboard cut out of Dad and stick it in the stands? Maybe that will motivate him to do better.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Neither players are passengers, they just aren't effective linemates, especially in the playoffs.

If no Tkachuk:
Gaudreau - Bennett - Lindholm
Monahan - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
Reider - Jankowski - Robinson

With Tkachuk:
Gaudreau - Bennett - Monahan
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Lindholm - Dube
Jankowski - Ryan - Reider
I don't think Monahan is relied upon for anything. It's always Gaudreau trying to carry the puck in and losing it. I don't think putting him with Bennett gets him the puck more but it might work.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Monahan literally has been playing wing all playoffs. What are you guys watching? He just takes faceoffs but watch the d-zone assignments. It was Lindholm at C and now Bennett. Monahan hasn’t been playing center for weeks, can we stop piling on about how he’s not a good C?

honestly Gaudreau is the problem right now. That line is playing dump and chase hockey and they just aren’t a dump and chase line. It works for Lucic and Dube but the top 6 forgot they are a possession early 2000s Detroit style of team. Not a dump and chase type.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Monahan literally has been playing wing all playoffs. What are you guys watching? He just takes faceoffs but watch the d-zone assignments. It was Lindholm at C and now Bennett. Monahan hasn’t been playing center for weeks, can we stop piling on about how he’s not a good C?

honestly Gaudreau is the problem right now. That line is playing dump and chase hockey and they just aren’t a dump and chase line. It works for Lucic and Dube but the top 6 forgot they are a possession early 2000s Detroit style of team. Not a dump and chase type.

I'm also confused as to why Ward has decided to change their O zone starts significantly. From like 60% to 48%.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm also confused as to why Ward has decided to change their O zone starts significantly. From like 60% to 48%.
Because they aren't producing offensively at all compared to Bennett and Backlund's lines. If they keep scoring there's no reason to sit em for the line that can't contribute 5v5

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I feel like Lindholm is due for a big game. I want to see some gravel in the guts from him and Gio. Rittich will be hungry for a W coming in. I like our chances tonight to be honest.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gaudreau needs a wakeup call. He needs to be demoted off the first line. He's not an asset out there, 5v5, the way he's playing.
Perhaps the Flames should get a big cardboard cut out of Dad and stick it in the stands? Maybe that will motivate him to do better.

it's not motivation...he is just not good in playoffs...he is good when nobody cares

Reactions: 2023FriendshipTour

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
What injury does Tkachuk even have? Did Benn pop his gun sack?

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Gaudreau-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Reider-Monahan-Lindholm
Quine-Ryan-Jankowski

If Tkachuk is gonna be out of the lineup, I’d like to see something like this. Split up Monahan and Gaudreau, it’s clearly not working. Put Gaudreau in Chucky’s usual spot to get him with some players who give 100% every shift and hopefully get him going. Obviously you don’t split up the line that’s driving the bus right now. Give Monahan and Lindholm a speedster who can draw defenders to him, and insert Quine to give you three centers to play with on the fourth line.

Finally someone is making sense.

Reactions: Black Box

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Did Geoff Ward bench the Monahan line at the start of the game as punishment for game 3?

They were still horrendous but I think he's getting fed up with how sterile that line is. Hoping they're broken up tomorrow

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't see how putting our smallest, weakest player, who's only average defensively, on our tough matchup line makes sense.
It doesn't. However you can't break up the dynamic Lucic-Bennett-Dube line.
So if you want to remove him from the top line, because its obviously not working out with Monahan and Lindholm, I guess that means putting him on the 4th line. I like it. Gaudreau-Ryan-Jankowski. Quine moves up to playing with Monahan and Lindholm... although I would put Monahan on the LW, Lindholm at center, and Quine at RW.

Monahan-Lindholm-Quine
Reider-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Gaudreau-Ryan-Jankowski

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I missed the game yesterday, what kind of lines were Ward running? I saw that to start the game we had Rieder in Tkachuk's spot, and the third line was together, so I figured everything was the same outside of Quine and Rinaldo with Ryan. Wanna know what we're looking at lineup wise here.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I missed the game yesterday, what kind of lines were Ward running? I saw that to start the game we had Rieder in Tkachuk's spot, and the third line was together, so I figured everything was the same outside of Quine and Rinaldo with Ryan. Wanna know what we're looking at lineup wise here.

Most of it was pretty standard. There were a few shifts towards the end with a two goal lead where he rolled a Monahan-Ryan-Mangiapane line along with a Rieder-Backlund-Lindholm line. Lucic-Bennett-Dube were left intact and Quine/Gaudreau/Rinaldo sat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad