Series Discussion: (3) Dallas Stars vs (6) Calgary Flames

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Best of luck to Johnny and Monny on their last game together today.

Same with Ward as the NHL head coach

Reactions: flames23

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Crazy how this all started with a crazy game 6 comeback after going down 3-0 in the 1st to having the same thing happen to us in a different game 6, five years later

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Crazy how this all started with a crazy game 6 comeback after going down 3-0 in the 1st to having the same thing happen to us in a different game 6, five years later

Yeah, I was saying this to a friend last night. Eerily similar, except I feel like we actually took over that game in 2015 and didn't have it handed to us by the goalie.

Reactions: Fig

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Remember when we said it would have been huge to go up 3-1 in the series because there was no way Dallas would win three in a row?

Welllllll.....

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Remember when we said it would have been huge to go up 3-1 in the series because there was no way Dallas would win three in a row?

Welllllll.....
Is the way we lost somehow less embarrassing because we didn't blow a 3-1 series lead? Asking for... a friend.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Is the way we lost somehow less embarrassing because we didn't blow a 3-1 series lead? Asking for... a friend.

No.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Fig and Black Box

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Despite that gut punch of a game 6 I actually do feel better about this year's first round than the last one. Dallas just more well rounded of a team than the Flames and we were 12 seconds away from going up 3-1. If Tkachuk was in things could very easily have gone a different way.

A strange end to what was a really strange hockey season for Calgary. Saw promising development in Andersson, Dube, Bennett, and Mangiapane. We'll have Valimaki for next year and I hope one or two of the forward prospects make a push. Really hope we re-sign Brodie, he's absolutely vital to our defense.

Reactions: Fig

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
None of that really surprising.

Matty having a concussion was obvious after that hit he took. Bennett I would have guessed hand the way he was getting rid of the puck by the end of the series. Crazy he's still leading the playoffs in hits by 11 after that kind of injury. Ras playing on a broken foot is nuts, guy has big brass ones.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Andersson is far from the most fleet of foot, but I thought he looked really unagile in the Dallas series. This means that playing on a broken foot he was at worst our 2nd best defenceman (Brodie)...

We really need Valimaki and Kylington to turn into top 4 guys.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Sam needs surgery, maybe they can finally fix his chin-up shoulder along with his tricep.

Seriously though, he always looks like our best player in pre-season and playoffs. I’m honestly down to just play him in between Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Leave him there for 2 months and just let them gel together and produce points. This would be a way better team if Sam can play his style and produce with Gaudreau. If I try and think who’s the type of C that make Johnny thrive to his potential, it would be an offensive Sam Bennett.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If Sam needs surgery, maybe they can finally fix his chin-up shoulder along with his tricep.

Seriously though, he always looks like our best player in pre-season and playoffs.

He pretty much is our best player. Maybe not as deft and delicate as Johnny or as crafty as Tkachuk, but it's sort of a Bergeron vs Pastrnak / Marchand type of deal. The center is always the most valuable piece.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He pretty much is our best player. Maybe not as deft and delicate as Johnny or as crafty as Tkachuk, but it's sort of a Bergeron vs Pastrnak / Marchand type of deal. The center is always the most valuable piece.

I really think we need to keep Johnny and join him at the hips of Benny and Tkachuk. That make is so lethal.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I really think we need to keep Johnny and join him at the hips of Benny and Tkachuk. That make is so lethal.

aw man, can you imagine a PP unit of

Andersson
Lindholm - Bennett - Gaudreau
Tkachuk

So many areas covered. Board battles. Faceoffs. Zone entries. Handedness. Netfront.

PP2:

Kylington
Phillips - Dube - Mangiapane
Monahan

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Bennett is a monster. If this team were willing to give him 22+ minutes a night in the playoffs, they'd probably have won a few more rounds over the last five years.

With torn triceps? I too was curious why Bennett wasn't getting promoted, but I was also chalking it up to Ward scared to ruin the chemistry of that line... but keeping his numbers low due to injury makes sense too.

Especially with Ward so willing to chat up the players and ask how they want to play and see if he can make it happen.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
With torn triceps? I too was curious why Bennett wasn't getting promoted, but I was also chalking it up to Ward scared to ruin the chemistry of that line... but keeping his numbers low due to injury makes sense too.

Especially with Ward so willing to chat up the players and ask how they want to play and see if he can make it happen.

The idea of another three months of the same static lines and Ward refusing to change them short of injuries makes me die a little inside.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The idea of another three months of the same static lines and Ward refusing to change them short of injuries makes me die a little inside.

??? Ward line blended lines more than Peters with little criticism because a lot of it worked or the stuff that didn't work was quickly blended back out. It really blows my mind that many fans think most of his lines were static. Pairings, sure... but the only ploffs line (and most of his regular season lines weren't static either) I can think of was the LuBeDu line.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
??? Ward line blended lines more than Peters with little criticism because a lot of it worked or the stuff that didn't work was quickly blended back out. It really blows my mind that many fans think most of his lines were static. Pairings, sure... but the only ploffs line (and most of his regular season lines weren't static either) I can think of was the LuBeDu line.

I'm talking mostly playoffs. The lines barely changed from game 1 of the Jets to the end of game 5 against the Stars. It took until Game 6 to shuffle things more than just because of the Tkachuk injury, or the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->