Series Discussion: (3) Dallas Stars vs (6) Calgary Flames

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
It was the matchup I wanted since the format was released...that’s not to say it will be easy.

Will have to battle for everything we get offensively, but with the way the 2nd and 3rd lines looked against the Jets I think that them carrying that play over will be the x-factor for us. Bishop is probably their x-factor.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This will be a grindfest. It's probably the best matchup out of the top seeds for our top line to get going at 5v5 though

Reactions: 1989

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Best draw the flames could have hoped for. dallas can still whip them but Vegas and Avalanches are definitely better and the Blues are defending champs.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Before taking a serious look at their lineup, to me the Flames message has to be clear--don't give Heiskanen or Klingberg any room. The Stars scored 4 goals in the round robin and Heiskanen had 4 assists, if Seguin isn't available then that has to be our focus. Matchup wise Im not in tune with the Dallas lines, but Backlund - Seguin would make sense matchup-wise, try and shut them down and see if Tkachuk can overmatch Benn physically, also see if Mangiapane can force turnovers. Either that or the 3rd line up against Seguin's line for the Lucic/Bennett impact on Benn and Seguin. Idk what we want from our top line though, I don't have faith in them to defend against any of the Dallas top 6 which is tough, because they are going to be the second line as far as ice time is concerned, but I think we have it in us to take out their first line offensively, we just need to balance out the rest of the lineup and take away Heiskanen's time and space with a good forecheck.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think if our bottom six continues to apply pressure the way they did against the Jets, we have a good chance to disrupt whoever’s in goal for Dallas (probably Bishop) and get some pucks past him. Bennett, Lucic, and Tkachuk are going to be big players this series. Even Andersson who’s not afraid to mix it up. Possibly Rinaldo too, I could see him drawing in for some energy if we think we need it.

I do hope Gio looks better than he did last series. Same for Forbort. Actually now that I think about it, I think Forbort is going to be important in a grindy series like this. I could see Kylington get in though if our offense doesn’t get off to a good start.

Won’t comment much on Talbot. He’s been great, and we need that to continue. The margin for error for this team is so slim.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Best draw the flames could have hoped for. dallas can still whip them but Vegas and Avalanches are definitely better and the Blues are defending champs.

Despite the wins and losses none of St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas, or Dallas none looked particularly sharp. All had issues with their goalies and defense. Granted it was a round robin with no real consequences.

Many out there are giving these other clubs too much credit. The ONLY team that depth and skill may be an issue IMO is Colorado and if Calgary keeps building on their defensive game there may even be less of a deficiency. Colorado is susceptible to a strong defensive team that transitions well.

All the rest are very beatable if the Flames show the hard work, perseverance, and discipline they showed in the play-in.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
During regular season the Blues were +32 in goal differential, Stars were +3 and we were -5. We scored 30 more goals than Dallas in one more game. We gave up 38 more goals than Dallas. The Stars defend very well and that is their bread and butter. Their offensive woes continued into the round robin games. I think we are tighter defensively now than we were. The Stars lack of offence is a concern for them. Our concern is not getting our offence shut down by a superior defensive team. I do like that Talbot is playing good and we played good playoff hockey against the Jets. This is a better matchup for us. O'Reilly, Pieterangelo and Parayko were just too scary for me.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Despite the wins and losses none of St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas, or Dallas none looked particularly sharp. All had issues with their goalies and defense. Granted it was a round robin with no real consequences.

Many out there are giving these other clubs too much credit. The ONLY team that depth and skill may be an issue IMO is Colorado and if Calgary keeps building on their defensive game there may even be less of a deficiency. Colorado is susceptible to a strong defensive team that transitions well.

All the rest are very beatable if the Flames show the hard work, perseverance, and discipline they showed in the play-in.

yeah on paper, i live in Dallas, i just feel the flames were always competitive with the Stars except a couple times when Bishop stood on his head. They never played well against Vegas or the Blues. And we all know McKinnon can beat them by himself. Nobody on the Stars is in his class. Seguin is the closest but I doubt it. Benn and Pavelski are not the same players. They lost a few steps.

Reactions: Black Box

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is a winnable series for sure. I agree the Flames really need to key in on Heiskanen and find ways to get pucks past Bishop. Klinberg is great on transition but not so much in his own end so that can be exposed. Seguin needs lots of attention, but honestly the Flames are a faster and more physical team and they need to exploit that. Lucic, Bennett, Tkachuk, Lindholm need to play with lots of edge. I like what Backlund and Mangiapane will bring and Johnny and Monahan need to outscore Dallas’ topline and other than Heiskanen, there’s no reason they shouldn’t.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Mazatt

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Flames: No problems boys, we got dis.

Honestly right now I think the Flames can take just about anyone. The team is playing a very different game than they played during the season. Ward has put his stamp on the team and they've bought in. Benny is finally playing at C and we finally have a 3rd line that can match up with any of the Stars lines. I'm not worried about Bishop. Talbot outplayed Hellebuyck and he'll out play Bishop. Our fore check is intense and all 4 lines bring it. Our D has been strengthen by the absence of Hamonic (sorry Travis).

Bring it. Let's go boys!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Interesting matchups. Theoretically, we could have all Pacific Division teams win in the first round (Flames, Canucks, Knights, and Coyotes) or vice versa for the Central Division. That would be a first. Normally one division doesn't get eliminated until the conference finals.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gotta be hard on those guys. To me the key is going to be Tkachuk and the Bennett line and how they treat that Dallas backend. Their top two guys back there are incredible, but, they’re also guys who won’t like when the heat is turned up against them.

I feel like this series is winnable, and it’s important Calgary gets through another round. If Bishop isn’t 100% I even give the edge to Calgary. Again, the physical nature of this Flames team is going to be the difference maker if there is any. Outside of Benn, there’s no one on Dallas that can physically impose. In a 7 game series Calgary has a game or two to impose physical will on them.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Basko34

Feb 5, 2015
Munich, Germany
Don’t overlook their Depth. Hintz is underrated IMO. very good in all zones. Faksa brings a lot of grit.
However I feel we can win against the Stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad