GDT: 3/23 | Raptor Jesus Returns | Bruins @ Toronto II

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
It's not like Knight has an injury history. He's not Max Sauve.

Prov kinda botched his recovery enough for the Bruins staff to handle his care instead of the Prov staff because they were unhappy. Now Knight is practicing with the team. I have no qualms about him playing next year. He's contended for a spot in every training camp (minus this year obviously). I'm sure he'll be ready to go next year.

The third line is waiting for him.

Well even Max is good for 40-60 games per year, what is Knight at, 3? I can't imagine him going from essentially missing his roolie year of development in Providence to directly to the NHL, it's a tough jump. It took guys like Krejci and Marchand awhile and they were top end AHL players.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Well even Max is good for 40-60 games per year, what is Knight at, 3? I can't imagine him going from essentially missing his roolie year of development in Providence to directly to the NHL, it's a tough jump. It took guys like Krejci and Marchand awhile and they were top end AHL players.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Lucic is like a B movie: After the first couple of minutes, you hope that it's gonna be better. 30 min later, you know that it's gonna be WORST. Time to sit the giveaway machine. Not sure what it will take to wakeup #17...

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
The Bruins have problems scoring again, gotta mix up the lines and do something, because 1 or 2 goals per game just isn't going to do it. Like a couple years ago when the Bruins were in the basement for scoring, what do you do?

13 shots on goal by the Leafs, sad loss on that stat.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
It's not like Knight has an injury history. He's not Max Sauve.

Prov kinda botched his recovery enough for the Bruins staff to handle his care instead of the Prov staff because they were unhappy. Now Knight is practicing with the team. I have no qualms about him playing next year. He's contended for a spot in every training camp (minus this year obviously). I'm sure he'll be ready to go next year.

The third line is waiting for him.

No...I disagree completely.

I think Knight is a guy like Versteeg that if you don't hold onto he'll be an NHL player down the line for someone and will make you look bad if you dump him.

But he's light years away from playing in Boston. He also hasn't played much hockey last 2 years its now 2 seasons in a row he's missed serious time. Not a good thing for a pro hockey player to miss that much time at that age.

He has a long way to go. This is a 150 AHL game minimum prospect (and he might need double that.)

He's not going to snap his fingers and be ready to be a regular NHL player just because he can shoot the puck.

But you keep him around there is the upside and I don't think his current injuries will matter at all down the road if he can stay healthy going forward. But forget about him helping the big team soon IMO.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Well, looks like I picked the right game to focus on for the evening. :laugh:

Even watching the Terriers lose 1-0 appears to have been far and away more satisfying than watching the Bruins last night.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Spooner looks like he still needs a least another year in the AHL. He is lost in his own zone, he isn't creating anything. Slippers(aka Pandolfo) has been ok, but championship teams don't need ok.

As for Lucic and Horton. The only reason why Lucic turns the puck over more than Hotrton is because its hard for Horton to turnover the puck if he never has it. That line needs some speed. Way too slow, way too predictable.

mashmont

May 27, 2011
Massachusetts
Khudobin didn't have the greatest game..

The first Goal was a good snipe, where lucic just let kadri into the zone.

Other two were sort of softie's but whatever.

Bartowski looked really bad Imo. Shoulda been Krug out there.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
It's amazing that Krejci keeps getting on the scoresheet considering his wingers are horrendously bad this year. And yes people are going to criticize Lucic when he goes 15 games without a goal.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I would now hope that the Lucic/Horton dissapearing acts Chia will upgrade that 3rd line for the 1st time in 2 seasons.

Remember when we all complained about Bourque? I seriously miss him now :laugh:

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I would now hope that the Lucic/Horton dissapearing acts Chia will upgrade that 3rd line for the 1st time in 2 seasons.

Remember when we all complained about Bourque? I seriously miss him now :laugh:

The picture is pretty UGLY: KLH is inconsistent as hell. Lucic/Horton passengers for the last 10 games. 3rd and 4th line are non-factor. Rask/AK have been good for this team but they can't do it alone. The blueline need to be restructured...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This game reminded me of the Bledsoe era patriots. They'd scuffle and dink around all game- then pile up yards in the 2 min offense. Always baffled me why they didn't run their 2 min offense every time they had the ball (the way they did later with brady).
Why the bruins can't start games the way they finished last night is beyond me.

Brickley says sometimes the best way to get into the game is to make some kind of physical contact on your first shift- and damn if that ain't true for this club. You can tell what kind of night it's going to be in the first 3 min. Gone are the days of lucic and Horton crowding the crease and pushing defenses around.

"Let em sleep" Tanabe would be a Norris caliber defenseman against these guys the way they are playing of late.

First line still doesn't have a pp goal.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Why hasn't Julien put Peverley with Lucic and Krejci?

It's better than watching the same three guys do nothing.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
Couple of thoughts:

Although the shots on net were high, it appears no one considers themselves the "go to guy", when it comes to scoring. Everyone is dishing or giving. No one is just firing the puck. I know the average uniformed fan might scream "shoot the damn puck", but that's not entirely off the mark. Brad had two pucks skip over his stick during the PP in which he was point black, each of which he intended to handle, not shoot. What difference would it have made if he tried to 1_time them? Even if they weren't in his wheelhouse? He'd have to retrieve them or they might have been at least in the crease for a rebound. Yet both times he seemed more concerned about controlling the puck than he was about if it was a decent scoring chance. Just when you think they've made the right about of blueline passes, and a Dman can fire one into the crowd, the pass one more time. Same with oddman rushes (the few they get), it's one too many dishes.

The Defense is rebooting too often. Not necessarily with the dreaded D-D pass, but with back passing and doubling back. Yes we're not the Flying Frenchman by any stretch of the imagination. But an NHL team of any caliber should be able to execute an odd-man rush. And we don't get many because the D is never looking for a quick counter-punch. This constantly allows even a questionable defensive core (which Toronto is), to be ready and in position. They're too concerned (IMO) about turning it over in the neutral zone. Which is all, well, and fine, till it's stifling your quality scoring chances.

When we do generate an odd-man rush, we far too often pull the puck wide and dangle, while no one goes to the net. Cycle cycle cycle , lose possession, rinse and repeat.

We're not finishing our checks. Too many passed up opportunities to bury opponents and get into a game in the physical sense.

Lines 1,2, and 3 are not picking up on the 4th line energy. I thought the fourth line had the best shifts (CJ started them in the 2nd period). Yet that energy did not gravitate through the other lines.

To me some of these problems are part and parcel of CJ's system. Nothing is perfect, every system has a weakness. The weakness of CJ's is that it often saps creativity and aggressive individual play. It's a great team concept, it creates a "greater than the sum of our parts" mentality, but it often gets players out of the thought process that they themselves, alone, can make a difference in a game. It's a highwire act of keeping that balance of systemic defense and individual creativity and chance taking.

As indicated by our historical goal differential, the system works well most of the time. But when it doesn't it can produce these types of anomalous games, where we out shoot opponents, offensive zone time isn't brutal, yet are out of it till the very end.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Another offensive nightmare.

It's not that I think the Bruins have a bad offense, but after seeing an inconsistent offense for this many years I think it's safe to say that a big change is needed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Another offensive nightmare.

It's not that I think the Bruins have a bad offense, but after seeing an inconsistent offense for this many years I think it's safe to say that a big change is needed.

Is Rex really retired???:sarcasm:

Missed the game last night as I was at the Metro center for playoff action here but after reading about it on the interwebz, and watching some video, it appeared as though it was a carbon copy of what went on with our Mooseheads here in Halifax last night with the hometown boys posting over 40 shots but the finish wasn`t there nor the desperation. Here`s a bit of a story and some video as it features a Bruin-like idea with Frk passing around an ugly jacket to the game star.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1097290-moose-hang-tough-with-2-1-win

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Is Rex really retired???:sarcasm:

Missed the game last night as I was at the Metro center for playoff action here but after reading about it on the interwebz, and watching some video, it appeared as though it was a carbon copy of what went on with our Mooseheads here in Halifax last night with the hometown boys posting over 40 shots but the finish wasn`t there nor the desperation. Here`s a bit of a story and some video as it features a Bruin-like idea with Frk passing around an ugly jacket to the game star.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1097290-moose-hang-tough-with-2-1-win

Pretty much. It's been that way for basically the entire season so far, and most of last season, most of the season before, and the one before that, and so on...

Yes, they won a cup with a similar team, but it's not the same team and they're certainly not performing like the same team.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Why hasn't Julien put Peverley with Lucic and Krejci?

It's better than watching the same three guys do nothing.

gotta do something.
but id put peverley with marchand and bergeron. he's better fit for that line.
then id throw segs on the rw with krejci and looch.
horts can go to the 3rd line with spooner and id put paile there too

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have a question (and as a leafs fan, if I'm called a troll I understand): how long does the shine from winning the cup last? Most of you seem pissed that you lost the game tonight. I think if we somehow won a cup, I wouldn't care for a long time how we did. Am I just being naive?

I am ok.

The glow lasted for almost a year for me.

The B's are in a slump but even if they were in first place there are some posters here that would whine and complain.

I know the Bruins can play better than they have been. I am not sure why they are not. I know a few players are playing through injuries but that always happens. I don't think it is because they are lazy or don't want to win. They just haven't reached their stride. They also need that swagger back.

I think they need some help. I believe Peter C. is trying to find a scoring winger but I don't think many teams are selling at this time so it may not be possible.

I hope to see a win tomorrow. I will be cheering the B's on as always.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've watched the Bruins for 25 years. Longer than most of you have been alive.
I call it like I see it. It is embarrassing watching Dumb and Dumber play. Neither score, neither hit, they are good for one dumb ass offside each period, and neither move their feet on defense.

It takes no talent to take the body. Just heart. Which these two don't have.

Btw, I like Lucic. My 9 year olds favorite player. He gave us pick last year during warmup. I think Horton has brought his play down. I've never been a Horton fan. A couple of lucky OT goals in the playoffs don't make a career.

I have been a B's fan for over 50 years. This does not qualify me to know more than a newer fan.

I think Looch will remain on the team and in the end we will be happier for it.

Horton I don't get. He has always been a streaky player. He falls asleep far to often for me. He has had some nice playoff games for the B's but I don't know if I would sign him at the end of this year.

It is a good thing that all of us are not makng the decisions. All in all Peter C. has done pretty good for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad