Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Ludwinski is struggling in the AHL.

5 games 0 points in the regular season

Didn’t play any of the 4 games in the post season.

I wonder what our odds are of him returning next year. Would be a HUGE boost.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Hearing Hopkins mite be dealt to Peterborough this summer
???
IMG_9389.jpeg

Reactions: frontsfan67

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Not sure this one makes any sense
I agree. I cannot see the Petes trading the draft picks it would take to make a trade like this and they don’t have any veteran players that would warrant a return like this. I think they will trade for an overage defenceman and a 18 year old centre.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Don’t think this would make much sense if any. Unless he thinks ludwinski is back next year and he won’t get many minutes. Or maybe he has talked to Mann and he doesn’t think his 4th line minutes will be upgraded even after a very strong playoff showing.

Pete’s are a rebuilding team with a great core obviously so he would get more minutes there but it just doesn’t make sense from a fronts perspective.

I also have no idea what the fronts would get back in this deal unless maybe Fitzgerald is involved but I think that’s too early. OR Caden Taylor is involved since he’s a winger I believe and that’s what we need? But he was really finding his groove with the Pete’s so that doesn’t make sense to me.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Don’t think this would make much sense if any. Unless he thinks ludwinski is back next year and he won’t get many minutes. Or maybe he has talked to Mann and he doesn’t think his 4th line minutes will be upgraded even after a very strong playoff showing.

Pete’s are a rebuilding team with a great core obviously so he would get more minutes there but it just doesn’t make sense from a fronts perspective.

I also have no idea what the fronts would get back in this deal unless maybe Fitzgerald is involved but I think that’s too early. OR Caden Taylor is involved since he’s a winger I believe and that’s what we need? But he was really finding his groove with the Pete’s so that doesn’t make sense to me.
There is no way the Petes are trading Colin Fitzgerald or Caden Taylor as they are a huge part of the Petes future. I doubt this trade happens.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Depends on the reason for hte trade is this his request or 2 teams talking.
As I said in my previous post. The Petes are not going to give up the draft picks required to make a trade like this. The only way I see the Petes trade for him is if one of their overage forwards is among the league leaders in points and is traded at the deadline and the Pete’s ask for him in return.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
There is no way the Petes are trading Colin Fitzgerald or Caden Taylor as they are a huge part of the Petes future. I doubt this trade happens.
Maybe the fronts are interested in Sztuska? He’s a good player but I don’t understand trading Hopkins for him. I’m sure picks would have to be involved too

Hopkins is just scratching the surface of what his potential really is. He will be a really great player in the league

Hypothetically if sztuska were to be involved I’m sure that would mean the good goalie the fronts just drafted would be going to Jr A for the year which could be a good decision as 16 year old goalies don’t usually play too much and goalies take longer to develop. Then we would have a good 1A and 1B goalie situation here.

Also would have to assume if this trade were to happen, Salajko would be traded or waived.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Maybe the fronts are interested in Sztuska? He’s a good player but I don’t understand trading Hopkins for him. I’m sure picks would have to be involved too

Hopkins is just scratching the surface of what his potential really is. He will be a really great player in the league

Hypothetically if sztuska were to be involved I’m sure that would mean the good goalie the fronts just drafted would be going to Jr A for the year which could be a good decision as 16 year old goalies don’t usually play too much and goalies take longer to develop. Then we would have a good 1A and 1B goalie situation here.

Also would have to assume if this trade were to happen, Salajko would be traded or waived.
Kingston is in a rebuilding sort of phase. They need to develop the decency to work with the forwards that they have.

The other thing they need to do is find a starter for next year.

The last thing they need is to trade one of the stars that they will count on in the future.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kingston is in a rebuilding sort of phase. They need to develop the decency to work with the forwards that they have.

The last thing they need is to trade one of the stars that they will count on in the future.

The Kingston roster is pretty much complete, the team just has to settle on OAs and imports.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The Kingston roster is pretty much complete, the team just has to settle on OAs and imports.
This team is far from complete. You have 2 centers and a bunch of OA forwards that you do not want. a lot of questions at defence and in goal.

You are not ready for primetime this coming year but need to build for 25-26

You need to find the defence that is gong to fit and play defence.

You also need to answer the number 2 spot for goal

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This team is far from complete. You have 2 centers and a bunch of OA forwards that you do not want. a lot of questions at defence and in goal.

You need to find the defence that is gong to fit and play defence.

You also need to answer the number 2 spot for goal

Kingston has their first thee picked ‘07 and three ‘06 born that will be good to very good complimentary pieces for the 9+ ‘05 born. Three OAs and two imports gets the roster to 20 not counting any rookies.
Kingston definitely set themselves up for this coming season.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Kingston is not rebuilding right now lol the next 2 years here they’re on the come up.

Poole and Heyes won’t be on the team- they’re not good enough as OA’s. They’ll probably pick up 3 OA’s and one could be an OA goalie like Sztuska or an import goalie for some stability in net. They may keep Poole and Heyes for the start of the year until they need to start picking some players up. But if they have any plans of being competitive those 2 guys are not on the team unless they somehow become stars over the summer.

Their top 9 is as good as anyone’s going into next year. Defence needs to be improved on and I’m sure they will do that. Especially on the right side.

Other than defence and a second goalie to go with vaccari I think they’re really solid looking. They have a good coach too and he will be here for the full year and off season for this season- I’m sure they’ll look better coming in then they did with Caputi.

Reactions: Section5Petes

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think they’ll be great for both years. This year it’s tough though because the whole east will be STACKED.

Oshawa has most coming back, same with the steelheads, same with brantford. Barrie is primed to be better, so is Niagara, so is Peterborough and Kingston is obviously primed to be way better too.

And then north bay will still have quite a few good pieces coming back, wakely, Romani and van steensel are all unsigned. Romani will probably be back for sure, small 05 very talented obviously but not sure he makes the jump to the nhl right away here.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I think they’ll be great for both years. This year it’s tough though because the whole east will be STACKED.

Oshawa has most coming back, same with the steelheads, same with brantford. Barrie is primed to be better, so is Niagara, so is Peterborough and Kingston is obviously primed to be way better too.

And then north bay will still have quite a few good pieces coming back, wakely, Romani and van steensel are all unsigned. Romani will probably be back for sure, small 05 very talented obviously but not sure he makes the jump to the nhl right away here.
North Bay is in a similar situation to which Peterborough was last season. They only have a 2nd in 2025 and a 3rd in 2027 in the next three drafts. They will need to trade some of their veterans to restock their draft pick cupboard. The likely will be rebuilding this coming season

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
North Bay is in a similar situation to which Peterborough was last season. They only have a 2nd in 2025 and a 3rd in 2027 in the next three drafts. They will need to trade some of their veterans to restock their draft pick cupboard. The likely will be rebuilding this coming season
Yes I agree but some good pieces that if/when back they’ll trade and get one hell of a haul of picks and young players.

Wakely, Romani, van steensel, mathurin will all be traded, probably both leblancs too

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Kingston is not rebuilding right now lol the next 2 years here they’re on the come up.

Poole and Heyes won’t be on the team- they’re not good enough as OA’s. They’ll probably pick up 3 OA’s and one could be an OA goalie like Sztuska or an import goalie for some stability in net. They may keep Poole and Heyes for the start of the year until they need to start picking some players up. But if they have any plans of being competitive those 2 guys are not on the team unless they somehow become stars over the summer.

Their top 9 is as good as anyone’s going into next year. Defence needs to be improved on and I’m sure they will do that. Especially on the right side.

Other than defence and a second goalie to go with vaccari I think they’re really solid looking. They have a good coach too and he will be here for the full year and off season for this season- I’m sure they’ll look better coming in then they did with Caputi.
I will give you the top 6 and agree, heck, even the top 8, but you are short a couple of centers.

I agree with what you are saying. The question is, how well can defence play this year? I look at some of the other teams and what they are returning and see Kingston as a team that will be 4th and fight for possibly higher but it is going ot depend on the defence as well as the goaltending.

If this team is going to succeed, it needs 2 good goalies and should also consider developing a third goalie.

My comments were predicated on the silly idea of trading hopkins

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

That is why I am thinking that working on rebuilding teaching and development this year for Kingston is the key. I doubt they will be a first place team, but building and developing should get them in the top 4-5 position, and they have them geared towards a great 25-26 season.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
That is why I am thinking that working on rebuilding teaching and development this year for Kingston is the key. I doubt they will be a first place team, but building and developing should get them in the top 4-5 position, and they have them geared towards a great 25-26 season.
I think they would be better for 2025-2026 as well but the makeup of the roster doesn’t say 2 years from now it says next year. They have so many 19 year olds next year- they’re probably going to be one of the oldest teams in the league.

They’ll have a great top 9, hopefully atleast a good top 4 on d. Hopefully some more stability in net and a full season with a good coach- Mann.

I agree they probably will be somewhere between 3-5 but the steelheads will still have a lot of good guys back for their 2025-2026 season as well like martone could be back, Misa, Leenders etc.

with all the draft picks they have I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pick up some good 18 year olds too so they can have 2 solid years with them starting next year.

Bottom line is if kingston wants to compete they have to make some moves whether it’s this year, next year or both. I think we can agree on that.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
I'm not sure it will be the Petes but I'm sure a trade request has been made by the player & Agent. Maybe with 8-10 games left in the regular season, #91's ice time changed dramatically overnight including PP time.
My interpretation.... that was when a phone call was made and being reactionary, the GM & coaching staff appeased him with more minutes.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I will give you the top 6 and agree, heck, even the top 8, but you are short a couple of centers.

I agree with what you are saying. The question is, how well can defence play this year? I look at some of the other teams and what they are returning and see Kingston as a team that will be 4th and fight for possibly higher but it is going ot depend on the defence as well as the goaltending.

If this team is going to succeed, it needs 2 good goalies and should also consider developing a third goalie.

My comments were predicated on the silly idea of trading hopkins
Yes fronts need to make some moves, draft a good RHD that can play 2 years here and isn’t a defensive liability like Chromiak is 1 thing they need to do.

An OA goalie like Liam sztuska I would love that move for a good 34 from him and 34 from vaccari.

A good import forward who can be here 2 years and is a reliable 2 way centre would be a good move for the fronts to put on the third line. If Hopkins needs to be moved to the wing to play on lines 1-3 so be it.

Always a good thing to have depth and if we’re talking about guys like Hopkins who will have a big breakout- still potentially playing on the third line, then I think this team will score a lot of goals. Just gotta worry about the defensive side of the puck- AGAIN

I'm not sure it will be the Petes but I'm sure a trade request has been made by the player & Agent. Maybe with 8-10 games left in the regular season, #91's ice time changed dramatically overnight including PP time.
My interpretation.... that was when a phone call was made and being reactionary, the GM & coaching staff appeased him with more minutes.
I can see that- it would make sense, however Hopkins was granted those minutes and did great. Would have to assume he starts atleast top 6 coming into next year. If not yes I could see a move being made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad