GDT: 3/11 7:30pm Leafs @ Sharks

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
Seriously... Them, and Pavelski having a career year, Hertl and Nieto being impact rookies, Thornton and Marleau not missing a beat and still dominating the league, Couture just getting better and better, Burns doing exactly what we hoped he'd be doing, Sheppard stepping up, Vlasic taking another step forward, Stalock proving he belongs in the NHL... I'd say the only players playing below expectations are Stuart, Niemi, Irwin, Havlat, and Boyle. And all but Irwin are older players who have fought through a ton of injuries this season so I give them a bit of a pass.

I really really want to win a Cup this year. I love this team.

Yeah, this team is great. Even with their problems I just love this group. I really hope that once Stuart and Hertl come back they just fire on all cylinders.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, this team is great. Even with their problems I just love this group. I really hope that once Stuart and Hertl come back they just fire on all cylinders.

Stuart would just fire pucks into our own net

Also it will be awkward what they do with the four-some of Hertl, Thornton, Pavelski, Burns.

Hertl will probably suffer some initial struggles if they don't put him with those two

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
Stuart would just fire pucks into our own net

Also it will be awkward what they do with the four-some of Hertl, Thornton, Pavelski, Burns.

Hertl will probably suffer some initial struggles if they don't put him with those two

Thanks for that. Don't want anyone feeling too good about things.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Just got home from the game, all I can say about that 2nd Leafs goal is its nice to see Marleau in playoff form already. :sarcasm:

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Was at the game from Toronto. Props to a good game played by your team, good chemistry out there between your forwards and D but I'lll guarantee you it would have been a different game with Bernier in net. That 4th goal killed us.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
Was at the game from Toronto. Props to a good game played by your team, good chemistry out there between your forwards and D but I'lll guarantee you it would have been a different game with Bernier in net. That 4th goal killed us.

Yeah, it would have been different, but you can't say the Sharks wouldn't have put 4 or more past Bernier. They were great tonight.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Score might have been slightly different, but the outcome would have been the same.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
Has more goals than Clarkson has points.

I don't watch enough Leafs games to know if he's like this all the time, but what Clarkson showed tonight was really awful. Such an ineffective way to play for someone like him. Going after Desjardins while his team was seriously threatening to score was the biggest lowlight. So glad the Sharks didn't acquire him.

LocknessMonster*

Why they're calling wingels a pest.

I'm just happy that Reimer blocked something :sarcasm:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I was expecting Demers to step it up, but not .5PPG with virtually no power play time.

Demers has 2 less even strength points than Boyle has points

The pass to Pavelski on the 5th goal was a thing of beauty. Exactly the type of thing I want to see him doing...really showed how much he has improved. Kudos to TMac.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Sheppard and Nieto are the two forwards who I think were (10-15 games ago) in the greatest danger of being dropped from the line-up when fully healthy*. Both have been excellent over the last 5-10 games, and provided the continue to play well, should have earned spots.

Sheppard was involved in at least five grade scoring chances, as in addition to the two goals, he hit the crossbar, and twice Wingels had grade A chances (one being Wingels goal waived off, the other while driving the net). Though I think Wingles will be third line or better when Hertl returns and Torres is full time in the line-up, you'd have to think about keeping this group together, and letting them feast on opposing 4th lines.

Thornton's line was excellent with 3 goals, a post, and two quality chances (Pavelski hat trick bid, Irwin's trickling post shot).

Couture's line was also good, but the weakest of the three in comparison. I didn't pay attention to whether they were matched against Kessel, but given he was a -4 with no points, gold star to the team as a whole there. Beyond the goal, Marleau had a breakaway and the shot that deflected off the d-man and sat in front of the net, and Couture had the wrap around.

Overall, that is a pretty dynamite performance from the top 3 lines. 4th line was pretty meh, but with Hertl back, that third line could be Torres-Pavelski-_____, which is pretty scary.

My god though, our PP sucks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Admittedly, he definitely wasn't great on that one.

Nobody was great on that one but that's not surprising when it's 5-1 with 5 minutes to go. Irwin gave away way too much ice instead of stepping up and closing in on the puck carrier. Marleau was lazy on the backcheck. Nemo was weak in his positioning.

Not the biggest deal considering the situation. Since the schedule is going to be fairly compact to finish the season, they will have to take it easy when they can in blowouts to conserve energy. Honestly, I don't even know why those guys were out there mostly when they embarrassed themselves earlier on that 5-on-3.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
They aren't afforded the luxury of bridging with Wingels and Demers. They're UFA's after their next contract so they will have to buy UFA years and it will come at a premium. These aren't guys you can risk a short contract to prove themselves or else they will walk.
Yeah thought tommy was bit younger, knew this was demers last
RFA year. Tommy will be 26 in four weeks! Time flies.

3.0 x 4 for tommy would be fine.
Demers should get at least 3, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 for 3.75 cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad