Management Jim Montgomery

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
While I agree with much of this, the expectations changed during the season and when this team went up 3-1 again to a team they finished ahead of in the standing with no apparent adjustments in games 5 or 6 - the coach doesn't get to escape blame.
Not saying he should escape blame. Just don't see a whole lot of options other than shuffling some bottom line guys in and out. Game 7 is gonna be a grind, and 2 goals probably wins it.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I miss Ted Nolan but get the sense he`s long been blacklisted, how about Pandolfo?
Now there's some emotion

We had claude walking the plank 2009 and 2010 too I remember. Look what happened when they didnt fire him.
I remember what happen the following year after Claude and the Bruins gave up 3-0 series lead to the flyers.

• Haha
Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If the Bs lose, he goes. 2 consecutive playoff collapses? That should get any HC fired.

Monty has shown himself to be a very good regular season coach. God knows he got the most out of this year's collection of odds n' ends. However come playoff time he simply can't seem to make sensible adjustments.

I'm not saying the players are without blame here, with the exception of Swayman none is playing up to their capabilities. However, we all know it is a lot easier to fire the coaches than the players.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
If the Bs lose, he goes. 2 consecutive playoff collapses? That should get any HC fired.

Monty has shown himself to be a very good regular season coach. God knows he got the most out of this year's collection of odds n' ends. However come playoff time he simply can't seem to make sensible adjustments.

I'm not saying the players are without blame here, with the exception of Swayman none is playing up to their capabilities. However, we all know it is a lot easier to fire the coaches than the players.
The bold.

My tenure as a fan seems small compared to most here where Ive only seen four different head coaches with the Bruins.

That said, in my tenure, I dont recall a time where the coach tinkered and it could be pointed to as a direct result of a negative impact on the team in the playoffs - let alone TWICE now (maybe Cassidy putting Kuhlman in instead of Backes for G7 but I really dont hold that on him at all). Usually individual player playoff performances stand out way more than a coaching lineup change or decision. IMO.

JM has shown yet again he doesnt have a strong pulse on his team when it matters most.. He is gone if they blow a 3-1 series lead AGAIN. He got the goalies right this year and credit for that, but what he did for game 5 and how his team played is asinine.

As you said, its much easier to fire coaches than to fire (move) players.

Reactions: BMC

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Ultimately isn't that the coaches job to be able to find a way to get the players motivated and to make adjustments when needed ? For the second year in a row Monty seems to be taking the same approach. Bruins lose Game seven he's more than earned his walking papers, imo.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Same D

Maroon out. Not sure who in. Must be Lauko I guess.

Sway in net.

Then it's on the players...

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The team has insufficient talent. That’s on Sweeney.

If the coach blows this series, then I think we should move on. While maybe it’s unrealistic to expect that this team would go deep, the fact that this series has gone 7 games greatly diminishes my confidence in this coach.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024

If the coach blows this series, then I think we should move on. While maybe it’s unrealistic to expect that this team would go deep, the fact that this series has gone 7 games greatly diminishes my confidence in this coach.

Yeah but in fairness, transition year and we all knew it.

All the cap space is next year. We just lost the generational dudes. Now is the transition into what's next. This year we all knew what to expect. They just outperformed it.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
There's an old saying in business that if your a manager but your also "one of the boys" to the people you manage, it's already game over. Like you're done. That will never work.

I don't watch Behind the B but I do see clips and glimpses and sometimes I wonder if Monty isn't just one of the boys who happens to be the coach. Works fine in the regular season and when things are going well. But can you make hard decisions in the playoffs. Be decisive. Adjust on the fly. Command respect. They don't have to love you but they absolutely have to respect you.
I believe there’s the case for both types of coach’s.. the pendulum swung very far to the player friendly side now it looks to be swinging back to the tougher older school style coach’s. As usual the answer is somewhere in the middle.

That may have been the problem last year, but Montgomery’s biggest flaw seems to be roster decisions and adapting appropriately to adversity. He makes some of the worst and unexplainable roster decisions, and when stuff is going bad it only gets more unexplainable and hectic.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I believe there’s the case for both types of coach’s.. the pendulum swung very far to the player friendly side now it looks to be swinging back to the tougher older school style coach’s. As usual the answer is somewhere in the middle.

That may have been the problem last year, but Montgomery’s biggest flaw seems to be roster decisions and adapting appropriately to adversity. He makes some of the worst and unexplainable roster decisions, and when stuff is going bad it only gets more unexplainable and hectic.

You can be respected but not be a hard-ass. Being "one of the boys" isn't going to work in today's era no more than being an hard-ass coach is. Tough but fair. Honest with players and having them trust and believe you have their best interests at heart, even if they don't like every decision you make.

There was a clip I saw where Monty was at practice and he had on one of those big fake gold chains on with Pasta's face. I was like "WTF" is he doing? You're not a player, you're not one of the boys, your their boss. There needs to be a level of separation there. And that's true in any line of work.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
You can be respected but not be a hard-ass. Being "one of the boys" isn't going to work in today's era no more than being an hard-ass coach is. Tough but fair. Honest with players and having them trust and believe you have their best interests at heart, even if they don't like every decision you make.

There was a clip I saw where Monty was at practice and he had on one of those big fake gold chains on with Pasta's face. I was like "WTF" is he doing? You're not a player, you're not one of the boys, your their boss. There needs to be a level of separation there. And that's true in any line of work.
Did we ever figure out exactly what was said on the bench after the ref decked Marchy. Supposedly Monty was saying calm down but it looked to be a yelling match back and forth.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they don’t respect him. I saw that as well and thought the same thing.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Even though I agree they don't have the talent I don't think you can both applaud Monty for turning in a historic regualr season followed by an unexpected 109 point team while not also faulting him for two straight collapses either.

He's gotta be gone if they lose

Reactions: 22Brad Park

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Did we ever figure out exactly what was said on the bench after the ref decked Marchy. Supposedly Monty was saying calm down but it looked to be a yelling match back and forth.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they don’t respect him. I saw that as well and thought the same thing.

I think they like him as a person and he's a nice genuine human being. But do they respect him? Do they fear him at all?

Torts took his schtick a bit too far this year but his "you don't like it, tough shit" approach might be warranted here.

This is the type of attitude I want my coach to have.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
Gerard Gallant career playoff record: 33 wins 29 losses.

Montgomery's career playoff record (so far): 13 wins 13 losses.

Gallant had one Finals appearance in Vegas' inaugural season when they loss to Washington in 5 games.

Montgomery came oh so close to eliminating the eventual Stanley Cup Champs St-Louis in 2019 (see that OT miss by Benn for proof), and led the Bruins to the best ever regular season in NHL history last season.

It kind of worries me that Gallant was dismissed from NYR after only one season with such a loaded roster.

Montgomery is also 6 years younger than Gallant.

Gallant, who I was going to dismissed as a potential head coaching option at first, is actually quite intriguing none the less.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Gerard Gallant career playoff record: 33 wins 29 losses.

Montgomery's career playoff record (so far): 13 wins 13 losses.

Gallant had one Finals appearance in Vegas' inaugural season when they loss to Washington in 5 games.

Montgomery came oh so close to eliminating the eventual Stanley Cup Champs St-Louis in 2019 (see that OT miss by Benn for proof), and led the Bruins to the best ever regular season in NHL history last season.

It kind of worries me that Gallant was dismissed from NYR after only one season with such a loaded roster.

Montgomery is also 6 years younger than Gallant.

Gallant, who I was going to dismissed as a potential head coaching option at first, is actually quite intriguing none the less.

I wanted Gallant here when Claude was on thin ice just before they hired Cassidy.

Gallant to me strikes me as a Montgomery-type of coach. Nice guy, liked but not respected by his players.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
I wanted Gallant here when Claude was on thin ice just before they hired Cassidy.

Gallant to me strikes me as a Montgomery-type of coach. Nice guy, liked but not respected by his players.
Between a return of Claude Julien or Gallant, I'd definitely go with Gallant.

I remember him being a great assistant coach in Montreal. Their fans loved him, but he was never going to get the head coaching job in Poutineville, because despite his French last name, he's actually English.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Between a return of Claude Julien or Gallant, I'd definitely go with Gallant.

I remember him being a great assistant coach in Montreal. Their fans loved him, but he was never going to get the head coaching job in Poutineville, because despite his French last name, he's actually English.

The way he was let go now from 3 organizations is a bit of a red-flag for me.

Then again, the way Julien was turfed from NJ should of been a red flag and it didn't matter.

I'd like to know who was their 2nd choice from the summer of 2022. We know they interviewed David Quinn but his track record in the NHL is awful.

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
Jim Montgomery is no Claude Julien.

Heck, the only thing Monty has done right is keep the collapsing defensive system that Julien put in place here 16 years ago.

I don't even think he's done that right. Claude's system was built on discipline, and Monty encourages risk-taking. He's weakened the bedrock of the system.

The B's penchant for stupid, turnover-prone hockey shows me the Coach hasn't done a very good job of teaching how to walk the line of "disciplined risk-taking".

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

The fact that Gallant has never lasted more than 3 years with any franchise he's ever coached, should be a red flag.

The Rangers' collapse against New Jersey last year was a close second only to our collapse against Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad