Post-Game Talk: #3 - 10/12/19 | oilers @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Let's see, rusty? Check. Afternoon game? Check? Awful, awful ice at the Garden? Check.

It would be great if we were good enough to overcome these obstacles but we're not and the Oilers played well. Let's hope the players learn what not to do next game because there is another long layoff in the way again. What a f***ing schedule.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We might get a good center in #2020 draft, but it`s too early to consider that. Let us see where we are at #30 games into the new season.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Playoff bound in April, IMO.

Tippett was a great hire for their team structure and personnel. Smith was a really solid signing for them. First competent NHL goalie they've had since 1.5 years of Cam Talbot.

Not coming in to cause trouble. I always like to get opinion from opposition fans. I realize it has been bad in Edmonton. Do you think we can finally make a run ? Man I hope so, our incompetent management team sure screwed us for years. If u guys ever hire Chiarelli, don’t let it happen

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Boys were definitely off tonight.
I'm not sure why everyone is getting on Buch. I thought their entire line was off.
I do think Kakko gets moved up at some point, but it will be because of his play and needing to be with players on his talent level.
Did the team make a mistake trading Pionk instead of Tony D? Right now, Tony looks bad.
Hank looked lost in space. The one glove save he made on Neal wouldn't have been necessary if he wasn't way out of position. Oilers shot a few right at him when they should have been easy goals. Hopefully, its just early season rust. If he continues to look like he's swimming, Georgie should get the majority of starts.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Quinn is also here to coach a hockey team.
Wins and loses aside..He got his ass handed to him by Tippett.
That shouldn't really be an excuse at this level..
Tippett's system isn't a secret and you don't know what Quinn wanted the team to do to combat the neutral zone aggression. Players play the game. You can have the greatest system and players who don't execute and you will lose every time.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Tippett's system isn't a secret and you don't know what Quinn wanted the team to do to combat the neutral zone aggression. Players play the game. You can have the greatest system and players who don't execute and you will lose every time.

I’m not looking to turn this into a bash DQ thread but he’s in over his head and seems to be pissing off even the most optimistic fans lately.

His system is trash and his use of personnel is questionable to say the least.

But let’s put the system aside for now.

He’s had a full week to prepare this team for one specific opponent.
Scout them, figure out your match ups and adjust accordingly..

Fast FWD and it’s game day..

Opening face-off against McDavid of all people and he literally puts the least mobile dman in Staal to go up against arguably the fastest player in the league.
I’m not as down on Staal as most here but it’s a nightmare match-up no matter how you chalk it up and with that, he put the team behind the 8-ball before the game even started.

I’d be really curious to see if they practiced all week long as a unit but if we’re going by TC/ PS then I’d have to assume not.

Was there something wrong with taking the common sense approach and going with Trouba, fresh off an $8M deal?
I mean that’s why they acquired him SMH

This is just one instance out of many in the short time that he’s been here.

Absolutely terrible coaching job so far IMO.

Reactions: Procrastinator

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Not coming in to cause trouble. I always like to get opinion from opposition fans. I realize it has been bad in Edmonton. Do you think we can finally make a run ? Man I hope so, our incompetent management team sure screwed us for years. If u guys ever hire Chiarelli, don’t let it happen
I don’t know about a serious run this year (but I guess you can’t count that out with McDavid and Draisaitl), but from my perspective, they’re definitely on the right track now and maybe a little further down it than people would’ve thought

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Despite the whole week long layoff and all of those excuses we can make, I hope this game was a bit of a reality check on this Rangers team. Having no structure against a well-structured team where your 1st line can't bail you out into outscoring the other team will do this.

Rangers were simply outcoached by a mile. But they were against Winnipeg and Ottawa too, the difference was that those teams couldn't defend.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

DQ clearly does not have anything close to a great system. If you are a good coach, you can counter systems or at least adjust. Especially if Tippett's system isn't a secret, like you say, and we had a WEEK to prep for it.

I watch every other NHL team that can sustain a cycle, break out the puck properly or at least forecheck and win a battle when they get the puck in deep. The Rangers have done basically none of that the first 3 games. Typical NYR hockey. What they've done is quickly struck for goals, or scored on the PP against poor defensive teams.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
The rangers are the third youngest team in the nhl, and would be by far the youngest if not for staal and hank. The DQ bashing at this stage of the season is ridiculous, we ALL knew this team wouldn’t be good this season, he’s dealing with 9 players in the starting lineup with under three years nhl experience I mean Jesus Christ take a step or two back people and realize this team is 2-3 years away from being a true contender

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I'm not insinuating that we should contend this year. I came into the year assuming we'd get another top 10 pick. But that's not what I'm getting at. Do you guys not ever watch the Rangers and think that as a team they're just lacking fundamentals as a team? They can't cycle, they give up the blue line defensively, etc etc that all teams do differently. I don't care how young or old you are, I'm talking about a system and how the players are taught to play within it.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
The obsession with the team cycling is stupid, I’ve played hockey for 26 years you don’t go into games thinking I need to skate straight to the boards to cycle, cycling the puck doesn’t show me anything. I watch this team and see a young team learning how to be pros. Not every young player is McDavid or Crosby. Other then our first line we don’t have the players that are ready to dominate offense zone time every game

Reactions: JCProdigy

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Cycling the puck doesn't show you anything, so you'd rather the Rangers always play on their heels and let other teams have their way? Such a great brand of hockey. That's really helping the young kids learn how to "be pros".

Who's ever thought every young player is McDavid or Crosby? I never said anything remotely close to that, so where's the context for that?

Unless you're just misinterpreting or wildly over exaggerating what I'm saying, you clearly don't actually understand my point.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
What is so harmful about trying Lias between Kakko and Kreider? Strome isn't the solution there.

The Rangers' solution at 2C isn't in the organization yet. Some combination of Buchnevich, DeAngelo, and any defensive prospect not named Fox, Miller, or Lundkvist is the bait to acquire that player,
What's so harmful about him getting low minutes now and possibly getting moved later on?

This is the same thing people whined about with Chytil and ADA. They're young, it happens. Quinn always gives guys shots, he just has them work on things in low minute, low responsibility settings for periods of time too.

What's funny is how there's this "move up Lias" narrative but only 1 single person could even discuss what it is Lias is actually doing on the ice. Makes me think people here are just throwing darts at the board with no real thought behind it.

And I LIKE Lias. I just don't like this board (in general) impatiently harping on narratives for no reason

And the bolded? is that a joke? That's abysmal. This is a bad team. By design. Full of young guys who need to develop. Why in the blue f*** would we start trading prospects a year in to get a 2C we don't need?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I swear this board is a satire of itself sometimes.

Yeah, I get that we have to be patient with the personnel, but like @Raspewtin pointed out, we've shown no improvement on the same exact problems since AV was playing Paille.
The
Marc Staal on any pairing needs to stop.
Absolute
'Quinn is gone' if he keeps this **** up. The team is going backwards and 'X player machinehead is harping on' usage is getting worse.
Irony

Reactions: The S5

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
They set themselves up for that. A 20 year old shouldn't be the glue of your lineup.

I actually agree.

The difference is I don't think you realize that they set this up on purpose

Like many other coaches, "earning" it for Quinn means existing for set number of games. You can just be bad if you want.

Ada is top 4 pair and Buch is top line. Kakko is 2nd line.

But you act as if Quinn literally only looks at veteran status. You're wrong, biased, rushing to conclusions to fit a narrative that was constructed way too early, oblivious to the level of talent and ability on this team due to age and leaking hot takes like a volcano with the structural integrity of paper.

Take a couple hundred steps back. Breathe.

Last edited:
Reactions: The S5

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
My two favourite teams. Was hoping for OT and it looked like a real possibility after 2 periods. Lots of posts in this one and it could’ve gone either way imo. Rangers are young and with the week off rust and in-decision were inevitable. Congratulations to Kakko on his first goal, it was a beauty, there’s more where that came from, Hank was great as usual. I don’t like Strome on the 2nd line, he’s not a top 6 guy but it’s a temporary reality. Rebuild looks to be faster than most. If they continue to play like they did in the first period watch out.

Reactions: egelband

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
What's so harmful about him getting low minutes now and possibly getting moved later on?

This is the same thing people whined about with Chytil and ADA. They're young, it happens. Quinn always gives guys shots, he just has them work on things in low minute, low responsibility settings for periods of time too.

What's funny is how there's this "move up Lias" narrative but only 1 single person could even discuss what it is Lias is actually doing on the ice. Makes me think people here are just throwing darts at the board with no real thought behind it.

And I LIKE Lias. I just don't like this board (in general) impatiently harping on narratives for no reason

And the bolded? is that a joke? That's abysmal. This is a bad team. By design. Full of young guys who need to develop. Why in the blue **** would we start trading prospects a year in to get a 2C we don't need?

Respectfully, I disagree with the bolded notion. Yes, Chytil, Andersson, and Howden are young, but for the amount of time they've been in the organization, none of them have shown to me that they have the capability of one day filling in the void at 2nd line center.

Again, just my opinion, but Chytil is looking like a winger at the next level. Could be ditto for Andersson, but he's more of a natural center than Chytil is, IMO. It's about the speed in which each guy processes the game. Andersson thinks the game way better than Chytil, but Chytil has better athleticism. Chytil doesn't think the game fast enough to be a center. He's in over his head at center against NHL competition; I have no problem with him spending some time in Hartford.

Howden? Yeah....he's a 3rd line center. I don't see the top 6 upside there unless he takes some gigantic steps in the next year.

Buchnevich and DeAngelo are hardly prospects. Buchnevich isn't going to be worth his next contract. Let some other team give him 6 years at $5.5 million/year for 50 points a season. DeAngelo isn't showing that he should be the 2nd pairing defenseman over Fox....so far. Both very similar players and DeAngelo held out this summer. The front office doesn't have short term memory when it comes to those things.

The Rangers can afford to trade away a LHD prospect or two. They can afford to fill three teams worth of LHD with just the prospects that they have now. Keep the blue chippers, yes, but sell high on the others and fill other positions of need.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Respectfully, I disagree with the bolded notion. Yes, Chytil, Andersson, and Howden are young, but for the amount of time they've been in the organization, none of them have shown to me that they have the capability of one day filling in the void at 2nd line center.

Again, just my opinion, but Chytil is looking like a winger at the next level. Could be ditto for Andersson, but he's more of a natural center than Chytil is, IMO. It's about the speed in which each guy processes the game. Andersson thinks the game way better than Chytil, but Chytil has better athleticism. Chytil doesn't think the game fast enough to be a center. He's in over his head at center against NHL competition; I have no problem with him spending some time in Hartford.

Howden? Yeah....he's a 3rd line center. I don't see the top 6 upside there unless he takes some gigantic steps in the next year.

Buchnevich and DeAngelo are hardly prospects. Buchnevich isn't going to be worth his next contract. Let some other team give him 6 years at $5.5 million/year for 50 points a season. DeAngelo isn't showing that he should be the 2nd pairing defenseman over Fox....so far. Both very similar players and DeAngelo held out this summer. The front office doesn't have short term memory when it comes to those things.

The Rangers can afford to trade away a LHD prospect or two. They can afford to fill three teams worth of LHD with just the prospects that they have now. Keep the blue chippers, yes, but sell high on the others and fill other positions of need.
I also disagree respectfully but vehemently. They are with the organization but probably too early for Chytil and Andersson which is why they haven't shown more despite being here a year.

If they had come to us after 4 years in college and still look like this then yes, it's a Vesey. But they're still 2 or 3 whole seasons away from being rookies had they gone the college route. Why aren't you considering that?

And we dont need a 2C.

This isn't a win now team. It'd be a waste of assets to acquire a piece that we not only don't need yet but it could be a player who creates a logjam if one of our young C's becomes ready in a year or two.

It just doesnt make any sense to do

Reactions: egelband

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I also disagree respectfully but vehemently. They are with the organization but probably too early for Chytil and Andersson which is why they haven't shown more despite being here a year.

If they had come to us after 4 years in college and still look like this then yes, it's a Vesey. But they're still 2 or 3 whole seasons away from being rookies had they gone the college route. Why aren't you considering that?
I see what you're saying, and I really hope that you are right.

THAT BEING SAID, HOWEVER

The signings of Panarin and acquiring Trouba tell me that the team is looking to contend again sooner rather than later. Winning the lottery for Kakko was the powder keg that exploded to start that process. Because of this, the Rangers don't have the luxury of waiting three or more years to see if Howden, Chytil, or Andersson can grab the brass ring.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don’t know about a serious run this year (but I guess you can’t count that out with McDavid and Draisaitl), but from my perspective, they’re definitely on the right track now and maybe a little further down it than people would’ve thought

Holland made some good changes. Is Kreider gonna be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad