3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You deserve to lose playing uninspired hockey like that. Smith barely tested. Never saw DeAngelo look that bad.
I dont get it. He looked great in pre season even being behind 2 games. Been crap for 1st 3 games now.
He even seems to slow down the PPk holding it too long.

If he isnt careful, with the holdout and playing like crap, he may soon be the 1st reg player to be benched this season.

Reactions: bl02

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
DQ clearly does not have anything close to a great system. If you are a good coach, you can counter systems or at least adjust. Especially if Tippett's system isn't a secret, like you say, and we had a WEEK to prep for it.

I watch every other NHL team that can sustain a cycle, break out the puck properly or at least forecheck and win a battle when they get the puck in deep. The Rangers have done basically none of that the first 3 games. Typical NYR hockey. What they've done is quickly struck for goals, or scored on the PP against poor defensive teams.

Personnel accounts for a lot of the inability to execute.
I find it really hard to believe that Quinn and staff don't know systems.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Gorton just waltzed into this season with Strome as the 2C and ????????????? on the bottom 6. Kreider is useless without a good center. Fast's offense has vanished since he got married. All the rookies and 2nd year players are too raw to make the bottom 6 work by themselves.

Not known for oftense anyway, but I dont think I habe even seen him being such a non-factor. I swear I didnt hear his named called until late 3rd. How could that be? He aint Vesey.
Kind of wondering whst being married has anything to do with playing like crap. Not like she was a virgin and all of a sudden he is getting some, leaving no energy for game. Jeez, they were OFF for a week. I used more energy WAITING for this game, and they predictably came out flat and basivalky sleepwalking through the game. Imagine how pissed we would be if Kakko didnt score. So, at least there is that good thing.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Playoff bound in April, IMO.

Tippett was a great hire for their team structure and personnel. Smith was a really solid signing for them. First competent NHL goalie they've had since 1.5 years of Cam Talbot.

They could have played Eddie Mio, or even Steve Valiquette and won that game. Sorry Vally. The Rangers had no sustained offense "outside of" that 5 on 3. In which, you just KNEW there was a strong possibility of losing when they got zilch from it.
Looked great, but no goal. Stats PROVE you lose more often than not when not capitalizing on 2 man advantage.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I actually agree.

The difference is I don't think you realize that they set this up on purpose

Ada is top 4 pair and Buch is top line. Kakko is 2nd line.

But you act as if Quinn literally only looks at veteran status. You're wrong, biased, rushing to conclusions to fit a narrative that was constructed way too early, oblivious to the level of talent and ability on this team due to age and leaking hot takes like a volcano with the structural integrity of paper.

Take a couple hundred steps back. Breathe.
Staal, Marc.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Don't worry, someday the Rangers will stop matching up their absolute worst player with the elite players of the NHL, and then you won't have to read me "harping" anymore.
It's not going to stop once Staal retires/leaves because the throne will belong to Skjei and we'll just keep circling around the same arguments until the next one comes in to replace him.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's not going to stop once Staal retires/leaves because the throne will belong to Skjei and we'll just keep circling around the same arguments until the next one comes in to replace him.
Meanwhile, I've said myself that I don't think Trouba is an ace defensively, but why did you spend all that money on him if you didn't think he was an all-situations #1?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Meanwhile, I've said myself that I don't think Trouba is an ace defensively, but why did you spend all that money on him if you didn't think he was an all-situations #1?
Oh yeah. You're right. Trouba is gonna be here much much much longer than Skjei will be.

So it'll be him instead of Skjei who will wear the crown next.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
"I find it hard to believe that coaches don't know what they're doing"

We watched AV tell reporters that we were the best analytics team in the league.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well he wouldn't be wrong if he said that about his team this year so far.
If AV succeeds in Philly while we continue to get drop kicked every night, we're going to have to take a hard look at ourselves and figure out what the internal cause is of our inability to play defense.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If AV succeeds in Philly while we continue to get drop kicked every night, we're going to have to take a hard look at ourselves and figure out what the internal cause is of our inability to play defense.
Aren't AV teams good in like...the first year or so, and then crater in the following years?

Pretty sure there is a graph for both his time with VAN and NYR that show this...

Reactions: egelband

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Probably still coaching and the inability to get the right personnel as well. But more coaching. Lindy Ruff still is here for some reason. Not in love with DQ.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Aren't AV teams good in like...the first year or so, and then crater in the following years?

Pretty sure there is a graph for both his time with VAN and NYR that show this...
That's true

It's almost like he's afraid to take the reigns off at a new job and then he starts really AVing.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Probably still coaching and the inability to get the right personnel as well. But more coaching. Lindy Ruff still is here for some reason. Not in love with DQ.
My main gripe with AV's system (his usage and rotten attitude aside) is that we would back at up at both lines, just let teams waltz into our zone, and then start worrying about it. We still do that.

Either it's a Ruff thing, or the Rangers just don't feel they have the personnel to step up. But then you reach a point where it can't be any worse.

Reactions: Larrybiv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->