2nd round steals

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I dont know about steal, but Remi Elie is a smart pick 40th overall. He should be a surefire Top 9 NHL player. I think Elie will have a 10 year NHL career. HE is versatile and can be used in different roles. He has great speed and puck hunger/forechecking are the backbone to his game. I think he has more offensive talent than he has shown. He reminds me of Nik Kulemin. I think he will have a huge year for London this year.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I dont know about steal, but Remi Elie is a smart pick 40th overall. He should be a surefire Top 9 NHL player. I think Elie will have a 10 year NHL career. HE is versatile and can be used in different roles. He has great speed and puck hunger/forechecking are the backbone to his game. I think he has more offensive talent than he has shown. He reminds me of Nik Kulemin. I think he will have a huge year for London this year.

That is interesting. Many Stars fans, myself included, haven't exactly been thrilled with that pick. It really looked like a reach considering who was available so its nice to see someone hyping him up.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
And since when do the most predrafted hyped players become the best ones ?

Very rarely. Yet you'll see the 'name' players that "fell" into the 2nd/3rd round mentioned in these threads after every draft.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I'm sure Flames fans are happy with Poirier, but I'm more than thrilled with Fucale.

Just curious why you are comparing Poirier with Fucale. Flames were not interested in Fucale at all in the 1st round - Flames have quite the number of goalie prospects. Seems you are just trying to bait for a reaction here, but you just don't make any sense.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That is interesting. Many Stars fans, myself included, haven't exactly been thrilled with that pick. It really looked like a reach considering who was available so its nice to see someone hyping him up.

I hope to look back on this thread in a few years as someone who said that was a good pick. Liked the pick since draft day and Ive seen him play a lot. Hes a young guy put in a smaller role on the Knights because that team just has so much elite older talent. I think this will be the year everyone sort of sees why they picked him.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Very rarely. Yet you'll see the 'name' players that "fell" into the 2nd/3rd round mentioned in these threads after every draft.

This is exactly why I have tempered my excitement for Robert Hagg. I'm thrilled that he fell to the Flyers, but I'm also terrified because he fell to the Flyers.

How many examples are there of name players who fell on draft day but developed into successful picks?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Zykov for sure. Really wanted the Stars to get him at 29 but I'm happy with Dickinson, and then it pissed me off to watch the Kings trade up for him. Knew that's who they wanted when they did it.

CptPicard

Mar 30, 2013
Having seen Lehkonen play in Finland, the only reason he wasn't drafted in 1st round is his size. He put up nice amount of points in FEL and definitely has the skillset and IQ to be something special.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Lehkonen has a lot of skill and was a consensus 2nd. Not to say he doesnt have 1st round skill but its not surprising. To me the real steals were Fucale, Hagg and Zykov. In all honesty at the draft i was kinda hoping for Zykov at the 14th pick... then the 19th... then the 27th... :laugh: Hes gonna be big and tough to handle while being a goal scorer. If he develops as projected and plays with Kopitar that could be dangerous. i hate the Kings even more haha

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Lehkonen start the season between 10-15 spot in some mock. He complety destroy the SM for a 17 years old. How could he drop to the 55th rank ? Yes he's a small player, but he wasn't bigger last year lol.

Reactions: MasterMatt25
Mar 12, 2009
The "name your teams second round pick(s)" thread. Does everyone have ADD on these boards or something? You want the steals of the second round after a whopping 3 weeks after the draft, when the only hockey that's been played since has been scrimmages. We will have another few threads like this at the beginning, middle, and end of the season. Even at the end of next season it's hard to say who a steal is unless they're just about in the NHL already, as most players (especially second round picks) take a couple years to develop and show what they can become.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Waaaayyy too early for something like this. This question could be asked about the 2008 draft or something, but surely not 2013.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

I see a 4th liner when I watched Elie play. He brings energy, he's physical, and at times he can flash decent hands/skill, but there's not a lot there IMO.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Erne isn't a steal. I watched him play and he isn't a top 6 foward.

TylerSVT*

This thread is bad. It should be something like, 2nd round steals from 2008-2011 or something. Right now its impossible to tell.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It will be interesting to see how this draft shakes out in the future. There is a good chance some of the best players will end up being 2nd rounders.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Waaaayyy too early for something like this. This question could be asked about the 2008 draft or something, but surely not 2013.

This thread is bad. It should be something like, 2nd round steals from 2008-2011 or something. Right now its impossible to tell.

You can still pick out players that fell in the draft from where they were projected.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Lehkonen start the season between 10-15 spot in some mock. He complety destroy the SM for a 17 years old. How could he drop to the 55th rank ? Yes he's a small player, but he wasn't bigger last year lol.

His season didn't go with an upward curve. He started the season red hot and then cooled down, which really often leads to a prospect to fall. The opposite is true if a player is red hot in the end of the season. Prospects moving up or down in rankings is often a trend thing.

Also Lehkonen had 2 concussions (albeit minor ones) last season, and combined with his small size that may have scared off a lot of teams. Habs really got a boatload of talent off the 55th pick, just have to hope he pans out.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

how do you think he compares to Nick Sorenson?

Sorensen was injured for a part of the season so I couldn't scout him as much as I wanted...

But I feel like Sorensen will take more time than Erne to make it to the NHL and I can't really tell what is special about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00